Looks like we are all going to have to ditch our Metro Bank accounts. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
One that doesn't use a swipe machine and paper to create an imprint! 😉

Seriously - one that doesn't have a physical branch, paper based communications, maybe not even a physical card. I only used the word 'digital' as that was what JJ used in his original post.
Surly that should be one that uses a swipe machine? As the above comment was what is an analogue card.

No chance with a few of my cards now, they have taken all the knobbly bits off, must be a bugger for blind people to work out which card is which,😎

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
As per normal on this type of thread some people are me me me.....

I use counting beans and sometimes an abacus abroad.....(mind you doesn't get me far...🤣🤣)

Have a good day

Cheers🍻

Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
Back on topic... Metro is an appalling bank - sooooo pleased to learn about their current problems.

Even trying to leave I had to get the ombudsman involved - they just ignored me.

Really, really like Starling 😃

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Can't see that on their website. I know they charge for transactions outside Europe but as far as I can see on their website they are still saying no charge in Europe for ATM withdrawals or credit card purchases. Have you got a link?
After posting this had an email with the information. Will definitely switch to another bank. Thinking about FD as they're giving a £175 bribe to switch at the moment!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
I used my Nationwide Flex Plus debit card which, according to their website states no fees for any transactions or withdrawals. In addition to the included breakdown cover and travel insurance, I didn't feel the need for any other solution.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
As I said - depending on your needs. Just disputing your 'king of digital debit cards'

I have digital debit cards with .....

Revolut, Monza, Chase, as well as the more traditional backs such as First Direct, Nat West, Halifax and more so I have a good knowledge of the ins and outs of the various offerings.
I don’t have enough money for all those cards 😮

Jan 27, 2014
Herts
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 560L
Exp
Since 2014, changed our MH 4 years ago
I use a Starling euro account card for purchases abroad that I've loaded with euros when I think there is a good rate. However, if I try and withdraw Euros from an ATM anywhere now using this card, there is usually a cash point charge from the owning bank. This can be as much as €7 at some Spanish banks. I'm travelling to Germany soon and wonder if anyone knows a way to withdraw cash free from a euro account? Are there any German banks that do not have a withdrawal fee? In Spain I reverted back to using a Santander £ debit card in Santander ATMs and avoid both conversion and transaction fees. Not sure I will find many Santander machines in rural Germany. It should make us understand there is no such thing as "free" banking and how lucky we are in the UK to be able to use so many ATMs with no withdrawal fee.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just wondering why someone would need 6 plus cards.
Have you never had cards refused at a pay at the pump?
I use 2 in EU, where we live, and 3 in the uk.
I've had all 5 refused at a pump + wife &daughters cards also. Had to pay a French bloke cash for him to use his card.
If you've only one what do you do when a machine eats it or it gets lost?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Surly that should be one that uses a swipe machine? As the above comment was what is an analogue card.

No chance with a few of my cards now, they have taken all the knobbly bits off, must be a bugger for blind people to work out which card is which,😎

Yes - sorry, wrong way round. I was trying to be facetious.

On a serious note - maybe analogue is one you swipe using the magnetic strip on the rear where as digital will be chip and pin.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why would you need so many cards?
I have a Revolut card and my Debit card ..
On our last trip abroad we had some cards refused at auto fuel stations so having backups meant we didn't have to try to find another fuel station with an attendant. We've also had cards suddenly go faulty so again a backup was a saviour. We split the cards so that if we got robbed, ie wallets nicked, we'd still have usable cards safely stored elsewhere to use instead.

We do similar with phone sims, have a couple in use with roaming and a couple of backups, Lebara cheap sims are ideal for this purpose.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Why would you need so many cards?
I have a Revolut card and my Debit card ..

I probably have a couple of dozen cards. Don't know really - i have a box full and haven't counted.
Why? Well, I play the banks and cards. whenever there is a good deal I will get one and use it until that deal runs out or there is a better one.

At the moment I have a Nat west Credit card. It has a £9000 credit limit and is interest free for 29month. I will spend until that £9000 is all used. That's an extra £9000 in my savings account earning 5% a year - that'll be nearly £800 free money.

Also just got a Amex card which gives 5% back on spending for the next 3 months.

It's also useful to have excess bank accounts ready for switching when an offer comes along.
I recently switched a dormant bank account to Nationwide and they gave me £200.
Also recently switched an account to RBS and they gave me £200.

Actually made £1000 so far this year from switching bank accounts.

etc, etc.

Once the deal runs out then I'll stop using the card but I don't tend to cancel them so they accrue!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's an extra £9000 in my savings account earning 5% a year - that'll be nearly £800 free money.
Not quite, you'd need to have £9k in from the start and then deducted the monthly repayments from it so it'll be a diminishing balance on which to earn 5%, I'm sure someone could come up with a formula but obviously it has so many variables as your monthly repayment will depend on the card balance. You'll like make roughly a third to a half of what you mention in reality, still not to be sniffed at!

We've done it for a good few years and also taken out 0% no fee balance transfer cards too to avoid having to pay off the purchase card at the end of the 0% period. We've been doing it for a while now and the money that we would have used to pay them off put into good savings accounts etc so we get the interest but importantly always have the money to pay off the balances if required.

We've also done the switching of accounts for many years and have made a lot of dosh that way unfortunately now though we're at the point where we've exhausted them all so have to wait until the time limit has passed for us to do it again or hope others who haven't done them before do so.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Once the deal runs out then I'll stop using the card but I don't tend to cancel them so they accrue!
There are two ways to look at this, firstly having too many can actually prevent you getting new ones in the future, however the more you have can mean your overall credit utilisation rate is kept lower which is a good thing. It's a balancing act.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Have you never had cards refused at a pay at the pump?
I use 2 in EU, where we live, and 3 in the uk.
I've had all 5 refused at a pump + wife &daughters cards also. Had to pay a French bloke cash for him to use his card.
If you've only one what do you do when a machine eats it or it gets lost?
Mrs CC has an MBNA card so if in trouble we will use that😁 luckily only a few times this has happened.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
I probably have a couple of dozen cards. Don't know really - i have a box full and haven't counted.
Why? Well, I play the banks and cards. whenever there is a good deal I will get one and use it until that deal runs out or there is a better one.

At the moment I have a Nat west Credit card. It has a £9000 credit limit and is interest free for 29month. I will spend until that £9000 is all used. That's an extra £9000 in my savings account earning 5% a year - that'll be nearly £800 free money.

Also just got a Amex card which gives 5% back on spending for the next 3 months.

It's also useful to have excess bank accounts ready for switching when an offer comes along.
I recently switched a dormant bank account to Nationwide and they gave me £200.
Also recently switched an account to RBS and they gave me £200.

Actually made £1000 so far this year from switching bank accounts.

etc, etc.

I too, keep a number if accounts on life support with £1 in them just in case a switching offer becomes available.
Only thing is I blagged them all a couple of years ago and now need to wait until I'm elligible again.

Also dont forget your £1000 tax free interest allowance p/y, possible with about 18-20k in a 5% account.

Graydo

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
There are two ways to look at this, firstly having too many can actually prevent you getting new ones in the future, however the more you have can mean your overall credit utilisation rate is kept lower which is a good thing. It's a balancing act.

Rarely found it a problem - I think I can only remember 2 refusals in living memory.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Rarely found it a problem - I think I can only remember 2 refusals in living memory.
It's not so much refusals, it's not being offered the ones you want, we rarely go for cards that have an 'active' interest rate (only if there's a reward/cashback such as the Asda CC I got recently handing out a £20 gift card). Instead we go for the ones with 0% interest for at least 12 months with no fees, these are the ones that won't be offered if you have too may others or too high a credit utilisation rate, timing is key on these as you need to leave a good few months before even thinking of applying if you've recently got another card.

We link the 0% purchase cards to our Curve cards so that we can also use them abroad for our holiday spending on fuel purchases and shopping, keeping within the Curve 'free' limits to save being charged fees.

I ought to work out how far one of the original card 'debts' goes really as we've done it for many years and thus not had to pay off the initial 0% purchase card balance which was then transfer to a 0% balance transfer card - it must be a good few years now as it's been 'chugging' along from one provider's card to another for a long time earning us some nice savings interest in the interim! :giggle:

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
I would recommend first direct .
One problem they don't do international direct debits. Lots of problems with paying my Ulys toll road bill

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I would recommend first direct .
One problem they don't do international direct debits. Lots of problems with paying my Ulys toll road bill
Do you have a revolut card? If so why not pay your toll bill with that?

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Do you have a revolut card? If so why not pay your toll bill with that?
Is Revolut a credit card ?
Have paid bill with my Halifax credit card but company wants direct debit .
Had same problem with another road toll company

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Is Revolut a credit card ?
Have paid bill with my Halifax credit card but company wants direct debit .
Had same problem with another road toll company
No it's a card which you transfer £ to and can then convert them to other currencies, usually €, when you wish and the exchange rate is good, obviously you can change them back from € to £ too if you wish.

They do now have a direct debit facility which might suit you:

If you do want to get a Revolut card let me know and I'll send you a referral link (I'll get a £ reward if you go ahead with it).

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
We have Wise multi-currency accounts for both personal and business. Had them for years and never had any problems receiving, sending, paying, converting, ATM etc. They offer physical and virtual cards, too. Simple to use online and they also have an app (which I've never used). Fees are very transparent.

www.wise.com

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back