Looking to add a lithium charger (for EHU occasions) can anyone advise on type etc

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I've had some great advice on here with regards to lots of projects and am now hoping to get some more!

As part of my B2B install I will be removing (not permanently) the inbuilt charging facility for the leisure battery and though Im hoping I won't need it, I would like to have a 240v charger if I am on EHU. It has been suggested I don't need one, so I might not actually fit it in permanently, but I just want to have a back up (in addition to the solar I have fitted)

I havea 304Ah lithium and we tend to be large consumers, however, if we are on EHU then it's likely to be for around 20 hours. On that basis I think a 10A charger would suffice as even if on EHU for 15 hours, it's still going to add 150Ah to the battery (or is it?) I often get terminology wrong but all I really want to know is would a 10A charger be enough in that case and if so can anyone recommend one please? Thanks

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I'll be watching your thread Dave, as I've been advised ( by respected installers on here), that if the B2B and solar controllers have a lithium setting, I wouldn't need to change the CBE 20A mains charger, but instead, just switch it off once the batteries were 90 -95% full, then on when required, until almost full again.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I bought a 2nd hand Victron 20A from MHF, for similar reasons although we are not heavy users. I have only had to use it in ernest once ( Scotland in winter )because solar has always kept up with demand. My feeling is if you are going to get one then go for more than 10A as it gives you a bit more flexibility. We have been on several sites with EHU and not bothered to plug the charger in. So far I haven't bothered to wire it in permanently and I doubt I will.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I'll be watching your thread Dave, as I've been advised ( by respected installers on here), that if the B2B and solar controllers have a lithium setting, I wouldn't need to change the CBE 20A mains charger, but instead, just switch it off once the batteries were 90 -95% full, then on when required, until almost full again.

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Thanks, unfortunately my Nordelectronica 237 doesn't give me a simple option unlike other Nordelectronica units, I do have a solution though now thanks to Cliff Bryant which has been explained in great detail, as he has the same unit, so i will follow his guidance, but it does involve 'negating' (as opposed to removing) the on board charger which can be reinstated simply enough should I need to at a later date.

So I am at least close to getting where I want to be, which is for the Renogy 60A B2B to do what I hope it will! Just need to get the additional charger purely for peace of mind I suspect... I just don't want to spend big on a charger thats unlikely to be used according to the experience of those who have their B2B/solar working as it should.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I've not fitted one and relying on solar and B2B once it's fitted, currently I have only got the 25a schaudt B2B that puts a little in but the 490w solar so far ok but not used van in anger since fitting 2nd lithium battery

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I have a Victron Bluesmart IP65 15A charger for the leisure battery. It has various settings including Lithium, and also has a 'Power Supply' mode which will give you up to 15A at 13.8V in the absence of any battery.

Another feature is the connector midway along the output wire, easily detachable. So you can use a length of wire with ring eyelets permanently attached to the leisure battery, and easily attach the charger whenever required. You can use the charger with other wires to charge other things as and when needed. It comes with a wire with croc clips for charging any battery. So at least the charger can have other uses instead of being permanently installed.
They do a 10A version if you prefer.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not a lot of difference in price of a Victron IP22 20 amp or 30 amp charger might as well have the 30 amp.
RogerIvy (OffGrid) do good prices on Victron and you get a Funster discount.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Not a lot of difference in price of a Victron IP22 20 amp or 30 amp charger might as well have the 30 amp.
RogerIvy (OffGrid) do good prices on Victron and you get a Funster discount.
Yup got all my Victron kit from Offgrid.Great prices, prompt delivery and fast response time with a few queries I had.I needed to by pass my CBE 516 and went with the IP22 30amp which works nicely with the Bluetooth and App.You can knock it back to 15amp if not in a rush and then runs silently.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Mutsubis fuso/canter
Exp
5 years
I have one of these installed.
Nice unit. Lithium only. 50amp

PROJ14.jpg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i wouldnt bother if you have other sources to complete the charging only lithium profile charger in mine is the solar and it all works like you seldom on sites

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I have a 30 amp Victron IP22, it's a great bit of kit, it's configurable and can be networked with other Victron kit so for instance it will read the battery voltage from the shunt and adjust its own output to allow for voltage drop over the length of cable.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
Another vote for the IP65 and detachable ends from Off Grid PS . There if needed. But solar usually does the job for the “hab n cab”

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Thanks for the comments. I think I am going to follow the advice of many of you that a 'back up' source of charging is unlikely to be needed. If I really struggled I could just as easily drive for an hour with a 60A B2B and/or by following the advice given by Cliff Bryant the Nordelectronica 237 on board charger can easily be reinstated if the B2B 'failed', which was my concern.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
I ve had a cheapish Chinese smart charger for 10 yrs and it was heavily used in the workshop....great bit of kit so bought the 50amp version to build into the van just in case like you probably won't need it (660w solar Renogy b2b/mppt) also have 1kw generator in the back just in case !
Charger is by Anjing

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Victron IP22 30A for me too… installed Feb 2023 in Spain and used twice in well over 300 nights away since then.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
Another Victron IP22 30a here. I plugged into a site the other day and noticed that you can change the settings on the Victron to not charge but just supply which was useful as my battery was ful but I wanted to use the fridge of the mains.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back