Looking for a sensible sized table. (6 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B578
Exp
Just starting out
We`ve got a Hymer with an adjustable table on a single centre leg thats bolted to the floor.
Well its too bleeding big. Theres no room to sit at the table or maneuver around it with any sense.
I realise that its designed to work with the captains seat but we dont like it. What have funsters done to get over this?
Im thinking to take the one out and fit a blanking plate over the hole thats left when the leg is removed and just get a free standing foldable table that can be folded and stored in the garage when travelling. Im not sure what to do.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Similar issue in our Bailey, although the table can be removed it was a bit of a pain and can't be used outside. We took some time to find the right folding table but we have done it. You need to measure the space, length, width & height, then visit lots of shops & websites.

We took our time but eventually found a table that suits.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Want to change ours but it is part of the make up bed, we very rarely use it would like something lighter which would still work for occasional use

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I post my take on my similar problem on our Pilote.
Don't know your van but it might work.
Good luck.
========
The problem, (as perceived by Mrs Emmit)
The squarish table in our Pilote was extending too far into the 'walkway' between the front seats and the rest of the van.
I apologise in advance for the photo of the table. It was taken AFTER the fix.
Anyway, the solution;

I discovered that when I measured the distance from the outside of the pedestal leg to the outermost edge of the table, sliding the table to the minimum distance possible, (it can travel in all four directions on runners), three of the measurements were the same, ie 8". However, the measurement to the rear of the table, (nearest the forward facing dinette seat) was only 5".
I took a power screwdriver/drill to the 6 screws holding the table to the floor and made what was for me, a lucky discovery.
Because there were 6 screws, ordinarily I could only move the table through 60 degrees of the circle, however, someone in the van's past had fastened the table through 90 degrees and I found an additional 6 screw holes.
I was therefore able to turn the whole table a quarter turn anticlockwise, and, as a result, I have obtained a 3" increase in the gap between the table and the offside side facing seat which was always a little tight in giving access to the driver/passenger seats.
IMG20240912170919.jpg

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
These guys will make you whatever you want
I order mine by using a cardboard template, when we were happy just sent the dimensions off and it came back in the post 😊

Upvote 0

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Tee hee.. we unscrewed table top in van . Measured the slidey things that moved the original table from one side of van to other - pinning anyone sitting down or standing in van into immobility . Original Table was ridiculous .. getting replacement hymer/ Moho based folding one eye wateringly expensive . Bought a £10 table top from Ikea which was same size as slider fixings . Temp fix while we decided what to do enabled van to be used by us and guests , still got same table after 5 years of being able to sit / slide / lock it…
If we sell van new owners will have to remove original table from attic , as we are now and will be then too old n feeble to lift it down😀😀😀

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
When we had the eura Mobil, same problem the table was too big for access.
The solution was a company that supplied yaughts and we got a solid teak table that folded into itself.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back