LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. The answer to your question depends on a wide range of variables. Could you give us a bit of background info such as how you intend to use it, how many of you, where you think you might go, new or used etc.

Wyn

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
For the first one I would always go used and hire before I buy.

The main things to consider are:

How many people will be travelling / sleeping?
Do you have a C1 on your driving licence?
How will you use it (as said above)? That will affect the choice, do you ski, cycle or any other sports or hobbies.

We could continue but the main things you will need to consider are layout and payload. Get those two correct and you are well on your way to a happy relationship with your van.

Most people need three vans before they get it right.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Welcome!
Are you already a tent or caravan camper. That can make a huge difference as to how you approach the motorhoming world.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you need to tell us more,budget ,number and ages of your family how long youve held your licence,what you want to use it for? you only get a few free posts before you have to subscribe its £15 and the best money you will spend jim who runs this has a book on how to buy a motorhome which you get free if you sub

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We are now entering the Motorhome and Caravan Show season. There is one in Manchester this week. Go to one of these and sit in as many as you can and have a good look around them and imagine you and your family in them and how you would live in one. One of the most important things is layout so try as many different layouts as possible and decide what might be the best layout for you.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Don’t buy British. It pains me to say it but that’s our experience. We have a Laika and it’s brilliant.

Mrs QFour

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Do lots of research before you buy. Knowledge is power.

Don't let yourself be schmoozed by a dealer into buying that shiny one with the layout that nobody wants, smells musty (damp alert!) and has almost no payload.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
And if you join as a paid member here you can download Jim's guide to buying. There are lots of other areas within the site only available to paid up members - plus paid up members get discounts which will more than pay for the membership. You can also only post a few times as a free member but paid members get unlimited posts (as long as they behave and play nice!)

Go and look in dealer's yards and tyre kick. Start a list of what you must have, what you would like to have and (perhaps just as important) what you could not live with. Then be prepared to compromise!!!!!!

If you are not sure about a van you are seriously interested in you may well find a MHF member living locally who would be willing to go with you to look. Don't be taken in by anything a dealer says, always check as they are salemen and many have never been on holiday in a motorhome.

We bought the van we have now new (which was something I said I'd never do but the deal was just too good to turn down) two and a half years ago and the dealer has been top class, the van is out of warranty but the after sales people still respond to any (luckily minor) issues we have with skill and kindness. They have a contract for 5 years hab check so it is in their interest I suppose but it is something I have appreciated.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I would not automatically assume that a smaller vehicle is a good starting point - jumping in the deep end with an A class is not an issue driving wise, as long as you have the C1 on your licence if it's over 3500. Also you get more for your bucks with a bigger vehicle - not much difference in price.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Don’t buy British. It pains me to say it but that’s our experience. We have a Laika and it’s brilliant.

Mrs QFour
Just goes to show what a minefield this is. We have a Bailey (British made) and we love it. Our previous motohome was a german make - We loved that too but our requirements changed.

Wyn

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
In my experience you can have too big and you can have too small.
It's finding the happy medium that's the problem, you'll always have compromises to make somewhere it's figuring out which ones are the most important.

Hiring is a good idea ...BUT until it's yours and you've used it a good few times you still won't know what's right for you.

My advice is buy second hand and at the right time of year ie September- December you'll get a better deal then and if you then need to change sell it in spring and you shouldn't lose any money.

I'm on my 8 Motor home lol so the 3rd one theory doesn't work for everyone.

A my vans I've liked at the time but have changed to try a different layout or size due to changing circumstances.

Where you go with one and what you do with it ie sports etc will also help decide what you buy.

Personally I'm never on sites so don't have hookup and that means I like my vans to be completely self sufficient but also have essentials ( to me ) like larger fridge ,freezer, oven, separate shower, fixed bed, and comfy lounge area. And off course storage.

My last van had all of that but after 12 months full time in it I wanted something a little smaller , my current van still has all that but 2 wheels and 1.6 metres less.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.

Mrs QFour
We bought British, albeit a fourteen year old Autosleeper, super quality and everything works as it should.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Hello and welcome. Layout, layout, layout is what it's all about. Hiring before you buy is not cheap but may save you in the long run.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I' m on my 6th m/home, never bought newer than 04, partly due to expense, but also due to quality of build. New or newish seem to have lots of problems for a lot of money. Obviously there are good ones too but still expensive.
Plenty for sale in the "For Sale" section on here including my Autotrail Dakota.
Cheers, Dave(y)
Welcome to the forum by the way!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Buy what suits our first british van was ace.
We do need more info to help you though.

We bought British, albeit a fourteen year old Autosleeper, super quality and everything works as it should.

Ditto to both although mine was 6 years old. That era of Autosleepers around 2000 - 2006 were and are very good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back