Looking for a better SatNav

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I rarely look at the screen, cos Kate's voice is set at the "verbose" level, and 3 x times (at varying intervals of my choosing in the programming) she tells me what my next instruction is. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
It's interesting how very differently we use these devices. :) I have the sound on ours turned off virtually all the time. The main screen I look at is the big one right in front of me. It shows traffic lights etc in real time and most importantly pedestrians crossing the road. :)

OP
OP
two

two

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I was shown a demo of my Pioneer, before buying it. I was suitably impressed that it said "Take the third turning on the left" but have since found that this is not representative of the instructions typically given. I have heard it occasionally say similar occasionally but it's more commonly "Turn left in 800 yards".
When there's a lot going on, I'm in no position to judge how far that 800 yards is. I'd rather know which turning to take and possibly some reference (like "After the Dragon Inn/At the next traffic lights/Under the bridge/...").

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The main screen I look at is the big one right in front of me. It shows traffic lights etc in real time and most importantly pedestrians crossing the road. :)
I think you'll find that's the screen most of us pay attention to, so you are clearly not on your own :rolleyes: and in my case, the reason for the verbose setting for instructions, ie, so that I don't need to look at the Sat Nav Screen. ;)

Most of the time in the UK, the sound is muted, because I know my way around the major routes generally, with the sound being returned when approaching minor routes, and getting closer to my final destination, which I may not be so familiar with.
Driving through Europe, where I am not familiar with the routes, the sound is never muted. As a passenger, the Boss (who has a good driver's head on her shoulders) prefers to "take it all in", rather than have her head buried in a road map............................though they are on standby, and available for her intervention should it be required. (y)

Cheers,

OP
OP
two

two

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Another reason to require audible instructions is that the screen can be unreadable in some lighting conditions (but still better than a Fiat panel).

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Audio instructions are only a guide, certainly not better than visual.

Quite often priorities can change, and the road your following can warrant a left/right turn, but will not be announced.

My Zumo 660 always gives road names or numbers, never just turn left or right... When negotiating a roundabout, it will say 'take the 1st, 2nd, 3rd (whatever) exit' into (name or number of road).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stealaway

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
There's a TomTom start 60 for sale on here at the moment Give it a punt for £50

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Got rid of Tom-Tom, Car-Play etc and installed a completely new style Co-Pilot.

Now I don’t care how long it takes me to get anywhere and I find myself heading more and more down bumpy potholed roads than before.
View attachment 257774
Think -maybe one of these could fix Hilldwellers shower problem ?

OP
OP
two

two

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
My Snooper was terrible and not always aware of the direction of travel. It would sometimes say “Turn right” but show it as a left turn on the map. The map was usually correct.
Roundabout exits are often poorly accounted for. It helps to provide a direction (straight across, left, …) as well as details of the road to take. A big advantage of having a display is that it reminds you which way to go around. (Even Snooper could get that bit right.)

Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We've switched to copliot completely now run a 8inch tablet, works very well.

As above we have created 3 profiles NonToll, Toll and AvoidIfPossible. Altered the toll road setting and the favoured road types for each profile, very handy to be able to switch depending on mood distance etc...

Have tried Sygic truck version but side by side routing comparison found copliot slightly better, this was a year ago though.

Me too

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Maybe some people are more easily pleased than I am, but I consider modern SatNavs to be way behind where they should be.

I’m not impressed by a 3D mock-up of the scenery, I’d much rather have adequate verbal instructions that didn’t require a driver to look at the screen at all. A modern SatNav should accept verbal commands (as ‘Alexa’ does) and respond accordingly. Clearly, I’m expecting far too much…

This capability is provided on the new TT Go Camper.

Ian

OP
OP
two

two

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
This capability is provided on the new TT Go Camper.

Ian

Yes, I read reports of this kind of interface creeping in. But surely SatNavs are an obvious application for this kind of technology, so I'm disappointed that it's taking them so long. Even my dash cam uses voice response.

Top Hat

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Ditto, however, the paper maps never get used, as the latest map updates (licensed too) are so reliable. The Nozatec 7" unit with the latest Truck maps is the business. The earlier Xgody unit is exactly the same, just a different name. ;)

@rogher. Look for a 7" capacitive screen, 256Mb of RAM, and 8Gb internal memory size with Truck maps. Example below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_....TRS0&_nkw=xgody+886+7+truck+sat+nav&_sacat=0

You may have to update once in receipt, but the updates are (licensed) free.

Good luck,

Thanks
At that price it's worth a punt, don't really need one untill next season so plenty of time to get used to it.

Charlie

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks
At that price it's worth a punt, don't really need one untill next season so plenty of time to get used to it.
It is a bit of a learning curve Charlie, compared to my TomTom, as there are so many options to choose from. In fact, every now and then when I am messing about with mine, I often learn something new again, and I've had it for about 4 - 5 years now :LOL:

Cheers,

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
We purchased a Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D with free updates, just prior to a 4 week trip through France into Spain during this summer. input data on the MH and found it really useful, very user friendly. at £350 not cheap but hopefully will last a few years.

ctc

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
It's interesting how very differently we use these devices. :) I have the sound on ours turned off virtually all the time. The main screen I look at is the big one right in front of me. It shows traffic lights etc in real time and most importantly pedestrians crossing the road. :)
Well you don't want to miss them do you?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Well you don't want to miss them do you?
Just in case what I wrote has been misunderstood I wasn't criticizing anyone about how they use their satnav, only pointing out we don't use them the same way. :). But your comment is absolutely correct, pedestrians make a real mess of the front of your vehicle. It is much harder to get the remains washed off compared to flies*. But satnavs are beginning to help. Some Garmin models now have voice activated commands and some have a dashcam built in which can give audible warning of an impending collision and can also do something about staying in lanes.:)

*JOKE! :)

OP
OP
two

two

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Just had a thought:
Google spent considerable effort surveying most of the roads (in the world?) to provide 'Street View', even capturing details of every Wifi signal they passed (so I have read). They then went through the footage to obscure 'private' information. I'd have expected them to be able to pick-up on actual road signs, low bridges, traffic calming measures, schools, traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, and other navigational highlights to add to their maps. Perhaps they simply didn't think of that!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Have tried various phone apps but can't get on with the small screen. A tablet is not much better as you need to find some way to fix it. At least a proprietary satnav has a proper mounting bracket.

I started of years ago with a basic Garmin that gave me excellent service (still does in the car). then I was given a TomTom Go 1005 which I thought was brilliant and again it has stood me well - the only niggle is having to pay for the updates and now the maps are too big for the memory. So I've just bought a TomTom GO6200 and am busy playing with it, so far looks good, with voice interaction, traffic etc and free map/camera updates. Also has WiFi so it updates automatically without a computer. And if I want to use my phone to plan routes, the Mydrive app lets me do so then sends it to the satnav. I chose not to go for the Camper as I don't have a lot of faith in the map databases and anyway it was over £100 more expensive

To me a satnav is an aid, not a substitute for a proper lookout. I generally check out a route on maps before I set out so I have an idea of what to expect along the way and the satnav is a good reminder.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
We like to take the scenic route on most of our trips and I have not found a way in Copilot to take the back roads,
It's easy when you know how. Magnify the back road you want to take. Touch on any point on the road. Touch the 'right arrow' on the popup. Select 'Route through here'.

Copilot will re-route through that point. Check the result. You may need to do more than one point if the route you want is way off the beaten track, but eventually Copilot will get the route right, and guide you along it.

SMB

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have the Copilot truck and works well most of the time. If you have an Android phone and internet then the free TomTom speed cameras app is worth having, I have it set as a small floating widget overlaying the Copilot screen so I have two lots of speed camera warnings! The TomTom app also shows you average speed camera zones unlike Copilot and warns you of possible mobile speed cameras from other motorists using the app. Its also legal in France though it doesn't pinpoint the exact location of the speed camera directly, it sneakily warns you with a voice message. Great for a free app

Top Hat

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Ditto, however, the paper maps never get used, as the latest map updates (licensed too) are so reliable. The Nozatec 7" unit with the latest Truck maps is the business. The earlier Xgody unit is exactly the same, just a different name. ;)

@rogher. Look for a 7" capacitive screen, 256Mb of RAM, and 8Gb internal memory size with Truck maps. Example below
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_....TRS0&_nkw=xgody+886+7+truck+sat+nav&_sacat=0

You may have to update once in receipt, but the updates are (licensed) free.

Good luck,

Bought one of these and up to now for the money I am very impressed, l have used it for a few journeys with no problems so far, with the help of online vidios setting it up and entering destinations was a lot easier than I thought it would be
I am now getting familiar with the options it has, looking at the truck input facility and wondered if others with PVC bother setting up for truck, my 6mtr van is only 1.5mtr longer and the same width as my car so seems a shame to be sent the long way around.

Charlie

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I am now getting familiar with the options it has, looking at the truck input facility and wondered if others with PVC bother setting up for truck, my 6mtr van is only 1.5mtr longer and the same width as my car so seems a shame to be sent the long way around.
I wouldn't bother using the truck settings, especially if touring France or Switzerland, as the unit will divert you away from truck restricted routes. I use Truck settings here in the UK, but revert to car settings when I hit France.

As an example, I was using Truck settings on the way out of Spain, after an overnighter at Jonquera. As soon as we crossed the border into France, the unit tried to take me off the main route, as it turned out, to avoid a 3.5T commercial weight limit in the next village. Reverting to car settings (but with the same dimensions programmed in) ensured that it didn't happen again.

I am pleased that you are impressed with your new unit. It's as good as units more than ten times the price. ;)

Cheers,

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We have been trying to work out how to get Co pilot onto The Pioneer Car Play Screen, heard about an Apple update this month to allow 3rd party apps to run on Car Play, but I dont think it has happened yet, or we are just a pair of dunces.
As for Car Play if we have the radio on, then google maps cuts in with a verbal route instruction, the radio mutes, but does come back on, so I then have to go back into the home screen, reselect Radio and then it plays, until the next time Google maps comes on.
What am I missing?, hell knows:mad::mad::mad:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I am in the middle of a row with ALK, the company behind CoPilot. I am not going to win it either because not enough people are aware of the issue, and moaning about it.

I have used CoPilot for about seven years. Two copies, one for my phone and one for the missus (who IS a brilliant copilot). We both pay for the traffic. and all European maps, Good customers, you would have thought.

Anyway, as of the October update 10.9, they removed the facility to set road and vehicle preferences. This brilliant facility made route the finder avoid/prefer types of roads. Many moho owners want to do the bulk of their journey on big, wiiiiide roads. That has now gone. The second and most important facility was to input your preferred speed for motorways, trunk, A road, B roads, etc etc. This meant that CoPilot could work out your arrival time. You can't do this now and so what you get is the arrival time that it would take a CAR to do the journey. Calais to Paris in three hours, towing a trailer? Stupid. I have pointed this out and am waiting for their excuse.

Their original reason? This is ridiculous, but some numpty at ALK suggested that the facility wasn't needed as their live traffic provided a far more accurate arrival time than working out your road type speed. See here: https://support.copilotgps.com/en/support/discussions/topics/19000024212

Their real reason? 1. To force everyone to buy their traffic subscription & 2. to get everyone to pay again for their dedicated caravan application.

Please look into this and complain to ALK. It is so blatant and no one seems to have realised this.

BUT what REALLY annoys me is that CoPilot is the best, and I have used several different systems. So I am probably going to grit my teeth and just pay for it. I do have one question for anyone who has got it. Can you put in preferred speeds, by type of road? If not then this is not even as good as the original used to be.

Thanks, Dave

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I’m thinking of dumping my current SatNav, which is based on Here data that seems hopelessly out of date, to use CarPlay instead but, looking around, I’m not sure if any ‘mature’ apps exist. Do any mapping systems show traffic lights, or speed bumps, for example? It disappoints me that, after so many years of development, such significant features are missing from even the ‘premium’ navigation aids.

What phone apps do people recommend for motorhome and car?
i have here maps on a phone, i have tried lots of others but always go back to here, have you got the actual maps downloaded to the phone or whatever you have them on, or just use wifi, i have the uk and france and spain dodnloaded on to the phone and its always updateing them.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I am in the middle of a row with ALK, the company behind CoPilot. I am not going to win it either because not enough people are aware of the issue, and moaning about it.

I have used CoPilot for about seven years. Two copies, one for my phone and one for the missus (who IS a brilliant copilot). We both pay for the traffic. and all European maps, Good customers, you would have thought.

Anyway, as of the October update 10.9, they removed the facility to set road and vehicle preferences. This brilliant facility made route the finder avoid/prefer types of roads. Many moho owners want to do the bulk of their journey on big, wiiiiide roads. That has now gone. The second and most important facility was to input your preferred speed for motorways, trunk, A road, B roads, etc etc. This meant that CoPilot could work out your arrival time. You can't do this now and so what you get is the arrival time that it would take a CAR to do the journey. Calais to Paris in three hours, towing a trailer? Stupid. I have pointed this out and am waiting for their excuse.

Their original reason? This is ridiculous, but some numpty at ALK suggested that the facility wasn't needed as their live traffic provided a far more accurate arrival time than working out your road type speed. See here: https://support.copilotgps.com/en/support/discussions/topics/19000024212

Their real reason? 1. To force everyone to buy their traffic subscription & 2. to get everyone to pay again for their dedicated caravan application.

Please look into this and complain to ALK. It is so blatant and no one seems to have realised this.

BUT what REALLY annoys me is that CoPilot is the best, and I have used several different systems. So I am probably going to grit my teeth and just pay for it. I do have one question for anyone who has got it. Can you put in preferred speeds, by type of road? If not then this is not even as good as the original used to be.

Thanks, Dave
I have had 2 CoPilot Truck licences for about the same time as you have had the basic version. So I have all these features from the get go. They do seem to be trying to get the logic of their offerings more consistent and structured to provide a good ongoing business model, which when you think about it is good for all the users. My advice would be to go out and buy the Truck version, its a one off cost and you get all the features you want.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Some portable navigation aids offer routes for pedestrians. You'd think that crossings and bus stops would be relevant for that.
I'd expect the location of roadside 'furniture' to be held digitally by the authorities managing them, so could be provided for the use of others. I think the problem may be that most people would want it for no additional charge.
really you need google maps , that shows everything but it needs to be wifi or data

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
really you need google maps , that shows everything but it needs to be wifi or data
But it does not give you vehicle profiling or speed settings, you just get car, train, cycle or walk, it does not route you to avoid low bridges.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010

Thanks, Dave

I had co-pilot caravan, which as you say let you put in road preferences (one of it's best features I thought) and max speed for that particular type of road (so that it wasn't just showing max speeds for cars like most sat nav).

I have downloaded the new version (I've kept the old one but it is no longer supported and won't get anymore updates) and logged into my account, so in theory I should have extra features to the basic free version. I can't tell what these features are but I can input vehicle dimensions but can no longer set road preferences or my own speed limits for those roads.

It's a real shame as I really liked the old version and often recommended it to others.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back