Looking for a better SatNav

two

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I’m thinking of dumping my current SatNav, which is based on Here data that seems hopelessly out of date, to use CarPlay instead but, looking around, I’m not sure if any ‘mature’ apps exist. Do any mapping systems show traffic lights, or speed bumps, for example? It disappoints me that, after so many years of development, such significant features are missing from even the ‘premium’ navigation aids.

What phone apps do people recommend for motorhome and car?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Traffic lights. :ROFLMAO:

Half the time they can't differentiate between a cross roads and a roundabout.

And speed bumps are only potholes in the negative.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’ve tried a lot but always end up going back to the garmin camper sat-nav..

OP
OP
two

two

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Both my vehicles have CarPlay, so I'm thinking of using a phone app instead. That way, I'd at least have a familiar interface and data, whichever one I happen to be driving.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sportsnapper

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
Since 2004
I've been using Co-pilot on an iPhone for years, and for navigation and routing, I find it very good. The camper version will let you put vehicle sizes in, but I don't have this. With iOS 12, CarPlay is now open to third-party navigation systems, but as yet I haven't seen any announcements from Co-pilot that they will make it compatible. If they did, I'd be putting a CarPlay system into my van to use it on a bigger screen. Waze and Google maps will support CarPlay

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Got rid of Tom-Tom, Car-Play etc and installed a completely new style Co-Pilot.

Now I don’t care how long it takes me to get anywhere and I find myself heading more and more down bumpy potholed roads than before.
6146E69F-516C-4014-B711-078B507D6F51.jpeg

Mack100

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I use Copilot almost exclusively now but it's not without faults.
Recently it wouldn't let me navigate until I'd done a map update, really easy in the middle of nowhere and the app kept crashing when opened solved only by a phone reboot.
Also its not without the routing glitches common to all similar software . Adding custom poi's is more complex than it needs to be.
What do I like about it?
Using the smart phone it has almost instantaneous GPS fix capability that I've never seen on a dedicated device, it's re-routing speed is faster and updates are infinitely faster than my TomTom ever was.
The TomTom has an annoying habit of the display revolving like a windmill when driving over an uneven surface , the Copilot display is rock steady.

It has seamless integration with data already on the phone and also gets the phone charging while in use. It uses web integration which a dedicated device like my TomTom doesn't.
I predict that in 5 years there will be no dedicated GPS devices made, we will all be relying on multifunctional devices.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If your looking for an 'App' Maps.me has a Sat Nav option, works off line and is free. If you want to buy a top of the range dedicated Sat Nav that includes routing for Motorhomes it's between Tom Tom and Garmin. I have had both. The Tom Tom Camper was brilliant but cost me a fortune in Map and services updates. The Garmin LMT-D has free lifetime maps and a one off payment (about £20.00) for all speed camera locations. The routing can be suspect on occasions, otherwise another brilliant bit of kit.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Another vote for CoPilot. I have had the Truck versions for 5 years and have 2 licences so Sally has a route and in complex junctions she can tell me what's occurring. It has some very customisable profiling, which needs some careful use to get the best routing to suit you and I now have ETA calcs accurate to the minute almost. POI adding is a bit more difficult but they have now got acceptance of TomTom files stable, then all you need is a file explorer to find the save folder. Done once it becomes second nature. Put it on any tablet, I have a redundant 10 inch for a nice clear image.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We use Copilot for the most time but I do not like that if you mis-read an instruction and take a wrong turn then it will not get you to turn around and go back to the original route but take you on a re-route back to the original route which can sometimes be miles like it did when we were on the Mosel trip and it added 17 miles onto our journey.
We like to take the scenic route on most of our trips and I have not found a way in Copilot to take the back roads, so for that we use Google maps to guide us.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We use Copilot for the most time but I do not like that if you mis-read an instruction and take a wrong turn then it will not get you to turn around and go back to the original route but take you on a re-route back to the original route which can sometimes be miles like it did when we were on the Mosel trip and it added 17 miles onto our journey.
We like to take the scenic route on most of our trips and I have not found a way in Copilot to take the back roads, so for that we use Google maps to guide us.
If you go into profiles you can set in several steps from strongly favour to strongly avoid a complete selection of road types. This configuration is used in its routing options. By trial and error of these settings on some route you know how you would like to follow them then you can get a profile which will work for you.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
If you go into profiles you can set in several steps from strongly favour to strongly avoid a complete selection of road types. This configuration is used in its routing options. By trial and error of these settings on some route you know how you would like to follow them then you can get a profile which will work for you.

Thanks for the info, I had not explored deep enough into the sub menus after it updated to the new version.
Just had a quick fiddle with the options and will see how it goes on our next sortie. (y)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Got rid of Tom-Tom, Car-Play etc and installed a completely new style Co-Pilot.

Now I don’t care how long it takes me to get anywhere and I find myself heading more and more down bumpy potholed roads than before.
View attachment 257774

Why have you got a picture of my Mrs....?

:)

OP
OP
two

two

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Shame that what will work with CarPlay appears to be so limited. I hadn't realised it worked that way. As I don't trust Google, my choice appears to be really limited.

Nasher

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Back in 2007 I bought a cheap garmin it worked great but did not come with updates - it was working fine when I sold it on ebay for £20
I then (2015) lashed out £70 in a new garmin with lifetime updates
It's simple, it works & when it stops working I'll buy another

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Back in 2007 I bought a cheap garmin it worked great but did not come with updates
I got one of them once, it was rubbish and never once gave me the right direction.

Apparently you're not supposed to get em wet either:)
IMG_4819.JPG

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I got one of them once, it was rubbish and never once gave me the right direction.

Apparently you're not supposed to get em wet either:)
View attachment 257961
Mine works perfectly after being dropped in a river.. and has been in countless thunderstorms.

Mind you it is designed for motorcycle use..

OP
OP
two

two

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We've switched to copliot completely now run a 8inch tablet, works very well.

As above we have created 3 profiles NonToll, Toll and AvoidIfPossible. Altered the toll road setting and the favoured road types for each profile, very handy to be able to switch depending on mood distance etc...

Have tried Sygic truck version but side by side routing comparison found copliot slightly better, this was a year ago though.

OP
OP
two

two

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Considering that these things are supposed to be aids for drivers, I still think they're rather weak on providing fundamental information. I assume that no-one has seen one that identifies traffic lights, for example?
I'd also expect bus stops, pedestrian crossings and traffic calming areas to be identified. Do they not know or care where such things are? Among other things, they influence journey times...

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Considering that these things are supposed to be aids for drivers, I still think they're rather weak on providing fundamental information. I assume that no-one has seen one that identifies traffic lights, for example?
I'd also expect bus stops, pedestrian crossings and traffic calming areas to be identified. Do they not know or care where such things are? Among other things, they influence journey times...
The trouble with your desires, is that most of them appear or disappeare at the whim of local authorities, so I couldn't imagine any mapping company keeping up with such things.
It's not something that bothers me anyway.

OP
OP
two

two

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Some portable navigation aids offer routes for pedestrians. You'd think that crossings and bus stops would be relevant for that.
I'd expect the location of roadside 'furniture' to be held digitally by the authorities managing them, so could be provided for the use of others. I think the problem may be that most people would want it for no additional charge.

ctc

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Get a cheap Chinese copy and some free software, then buy a decent map.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Tomtom Go on android.
Has speed cameras , red light cameras and traffic plus for £15 a year it has the latest maps.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I’ve had Tom Tom, Garmin and currently Aguri. Our backup is always Google Maps on the iPad

The Aguri is cr*p but having paid nearly £400 for it I feel I have to use it. Maybe I should just use Google Maps

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Get a cheap Chinese copy and some free software, then buy a decent map.
Ditto, however, the paper maps never get used, as the latest map updates (licensed too) are so reliable. The Nozatec 7" unit with the latest Truck maps is the business. The earlier Xgody unit is exactly the same, just a different name. ;)

@rogher. Look for a 7" capacitive screen, 256Mb of RAM, and 8Gb internal memory size with Truck maps. Example below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_....TRS0&_nkw=xgody+886+7+truck+sat+nav&_sacat=0

You may have to update once in receipt, but the updates are (licensed) free.

Good luck,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
two

two

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Maybe some people are more easily pleased than I am, but I consider modern SatNavs to be way behind where they should be.

I’m not impressed by a 3D mock-up of the scenery, I’d much rather have adequate verbal instructions that didn’t require a driver to look at the screen at all. A modern SatNav should accept verbal commands (as ‘Alexa’ does) and respond accordingly. Clearly, I’m expecting far too much…

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Maybe some people are more easily pleased than I am, but I consider modern SatNavs to be way behind where they should be.

I’m not impressed by a 3D mock-up of the scenery, I’d much rather have adequate verbal instructions that didn’t require a driver to look at the screen at all. A modern SatNav should accept verbal commands (as ‘Alexa’ does) and respond accordingly. Clearly, I’m expecting far too much…
I rarely look at the screen, cos Kate's voice is set at the "verbose" level, and 3 x times (at varying intervals of my choosing in the programming) she tells me what my next instruction is. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back