Looking at a Hymer M-LT 580 Auto (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B578
Exp
Just starting out
It does look like a lovely van, Mercedes, auto box and 20,500 on a 16 plate. Trouble is its a posh car garage and not a motorhome dealer.
Is it possible to buy a warranty from a dealership or would you guys just get a Habcheck done and figure things out from there?
Its such a dilemma
EDIT: Not been and looked at it yet, This morning viewing

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Take it for a test drive to make sure everything works ok.

Don’t bother with the AA for a check.

Offer to pay for them to take it a Merc main dealer to get an MOT done (whether it needs it or not) and also get a Hymer dealership hab check done.

We did that with ours when bought from a private individual and the Hymer dealership picked up on the control panel not working and a problem with the fridge that the person selling it didn’t tell us about.

The price of both was taken off the selling cost - not an inconsequential amount as I remember!

I know it will cost you, but better to know that everything’s ok than pay for a warranty that probably won’t be worth the paper it’s written on.

Good luck - it sounds lovely.

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Take it for a test drive to make sure everything works ok.

Don’t bother with the AA for a check.

Offer to pay for them to take it a Merc main dealer to get an MOT done (whether it needs it or not) and also get a Hymer dealership hab check done.

We did that with ours when bought from a private individual and the Hymer dealership picked up on the control panel not working and a problem with the fridge that the person selling it didn’t tell us about.

The price of both was taken off the selling cost - not an inconsequential amount as I remember!

I know it will cost you, but better to know that everything’s ok than pay for a warranty that probably won’t be worth the paper it’s written on.

Good luck - it sounds lovely.
This⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We have a 2018 MLT 570
Excellent and solid vehicle.

We bought ours, at 18 months old with 6k miles, as an ex demo vehicle, straight from the dealers, without a warranty.
The lack of warranty has not been a problem, but we had a full service done within a few weeks of owning it.
And I've maintained the Mercedes service items and periods ever since.

Whilst i think it may be worth getting it checked and also ensuring it's HP free etc. it should be fine.
I;d not bother with any warranty the dealer may be offering, as I doubt it would be worth the paper it's written on.
See what you can do on the price.

At only 2,000 miles a year, that is low, very low, which makes you presume you will be needing to change the tyres and batteries once it's yours.
as they have probably reached the end of life, despite very little use.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
What everyone else has said. Check around the lockers and garage doors for damp. The garage door seals can be an issue. I have been there with my 2017 ML I. Use your nose, any doubt ask if they will put a hose over it. The tyres are probably original, check the date codes, good idea to factor in new ones. Check the plated weight, if they will, get it weighed so you know where you are.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BrianJane
May 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B578
Exp
Just starting out
Thanks for all the advice and help everyone.
I rang the garage straight after posting for advice, and it was sold saturday.
It was up for ÂŁ61,500.
It was the cheapest one I saw and seemed to be the perfect van.
This is the van as its still live on autotrader.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I'd say you missed a good one there, at a very realistic price.

But now you know what you want, others will come up.

Decide if you want the MLT shorter 560 (Transverse bed), 570, (The standard size) or longer 580 (Bigger shower room and a hanging wardrobe)
Leather seats are nice, but each to their own.
The oven if a good extra (Was fairly standard on the UK models, but not of the EU models)

The rear beds come either high (standard) or low.
Low gives you bigger windows and a smaller garage.
(Unless you have mobility issues, I'd go with the high)

Solar panels and gaslow are fairly essential, but were not fitted as standard.

The 2017-18 models came with the utterly useless Zenec head unit.

Go and see a few and spot the minor differences.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Although they say sold Ive known plenty deals fall through.
If its near enough id still go see it.
The lounge looks a bit snug, best try a few styles to be sure of the fit

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Thanks for all the advice and help everyone.
I rang the garage straight after posting for advice, and it was sold saturday.
It was up for ÂŁ61,500.
It was the cheapest one I saw and seemed to be the perfect van.
This is the van as its still live on autotrader.
May I suggest you call Spinney Motorhomes in Knutsford and ask the sales department who covers their used vehicle warranty, dont tell them why, just say you are thinking of buying a used vehicle and want to check out warranties. I bought a used motor from them and got the gold 3 year warranty. Three problems I had was dealt with by the warranty and it was backed by AXA and green flag, during an attempted theft in Calais, the computer engine management system was destroyed, it was replaced by Fiat at Merck about 10 mins from Calais, on a different trip my step would not close The warranty sent out Fiat and it was replaced with a new one. finally my heating stopped working and the warranty sent out a repairer in Benidorm the thermostat was replaced.
Separately During a service with Spinney, the drivers mirror was replaced FOC under that warrenty, because it kept moving.
So it’s worth you finding out the warranty company name and buying a warranty from them. You can do this it’s a few hundred pounds but worth it. Good luck..

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back