Longer trips in a VW sized or slightly larger van or swb ducato ect (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Considering doing a longer break in a swb type vehicle how many have done this and managed worked round stuff and found that sometimes it's been a big bonus?

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
How long is a longer trip and how many travelling? A mate and myself travelled around Europe for several weeks in Mitsubishi Delica but we stayed at campsites every night, I had a drive away awning which my mate slept in and I slept in the van.

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
The longest I have managed in a VW Transporter is two weeks. Only had myself to consider and the available storage for food and 'stuff' was not an issue.

The BIG problem is that whilst it did not rain much (Scotland) it was very windy. I could not sleep with the pop-top open (because of the noise of the canvas flapping about) and the lack of head room was so restricting that it has put me off planning any more decent lengths trips. I used to have a PVC (Ducato sized) so standing up and walking around was never an issue.

Of course - the VW is 100-times easier to drive and park than a big white delivery van ;)

I would imagine going from your Hymer into a VW would be quite a shock to the system :LOL:

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I nearly always travel solo in my VW T25 California, in the past 10yrs I have travelled on three 8 - 10week trips to Sweden via France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and Denmark and back via Poland.
Another similar length trip was Spain, Portugal and back via France.
A number of other trip were taken before I was 75 a few yrs ago.
Stayed on campsites every few days and wild spots while visiting cities and places of interest.
Never had a problem but as I've been travelling for the past 50+yrs, never expected any and I suppose it depends what one is used too.

I now have a FWD 3500kg PVC and find my off road excursions very constricted compared to the RWD VW.
I ALWAYS thought, if any other vehicle could get up a road/track, so could I in the VW and this proved to be true.

Good luck, take care, plan ROUGHLY ahead, and enjoy yourself! 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
The longest I have managed in a VW Transporter is two weeks. Only had myself to consider and the available storage for food and 'stuff' was not an issue.

The BIG problem is that whilst it did not rain much (Scotland) it was very windy. I could not sleep with the pop-top open (because of the noise of the canvas flapping about) and the lack of head room was so restricting that it has put me off planning any more decent lengths trips. I used to have a PVC (Ducato sized) so standing up and walking around was never an issue.

Of course - the VW is 100-times easier to drive and park than a big white delivery van ;)

I would imagine going from your Hymer into a VW would be quite a shock to the system :LOL:
An insulated poptop cover makes a big difference, keeps it dry and cuts down on noise, wind etc.

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
Considering doing a longer break in a swb type vehicle how many have done this and managed worked round stuff and found that sometimes it's been a big bonus?
Depends where and when you are intending to travel. 2 weeks in the UK hemmed inside by wet and windy weather seemed like a chore in our (old and now gone) SWB T4. But in France in summer weather when we could live outside for much of the time, 7 weeks was not long enough.

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
An insulated poptop cover makes a big difference, keeps it dry and cuts down on noise, wind etc.

You are absolutely right and it is something I considered, BUT, I am vertically challenged :oops2: and putting one up one my own would be impossible, plus there's the problem of storing it inside the van.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
You are absolutely right and it is something I considered, BUT, I am vertically challenged :oops2: and putting one up one my own would be impossible, plus there's the problem of storing it inside the van.
I've looked at them a few times but always come to the conclusion that if the weather was so bad that I needed one, I would just keep the roof closed and spend the money in the pub by the open fire.
With a VeeDub, one has to take the KIS approach, Keep It Simple.
Plus, what does one do with a wet insulated cover when travelling next day? 🤔

PS. In the VW, I always carry an insulated boiler suit for sitting about on cold nights and IF it's really cold or I'm wild camping, I can sleep in it or move off at speed without the need to get dressed if disturbed. 😄

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
We used to have a SWB T5. We replaced it with our current Hymer 7m motorhome after a particularly stormy 2 week holiday in Scotland. We couldn’t put the pop top up. We couldn’t erect the small tent we took with us where we stored boxes of stuff. We couldn’t put up an awning. It was no fun.

It’s easy to park in towns and it was great when the weather was calm although you do have to be very organised and don’t mind rearranging the van every night.

We would not go back to a T5.

You could always hire one before committing.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
We used to have a SWB T5. We replaced it with our current Hymer 7m motorhome after a particularly stormy 2 week holiday in Scotland. We couldn’t put the pop top up. We couldn’t erect the small tent we took with us where we stored boxes of stuff. We couldn’t put up an awning. It was no fun.

It’s easy to park in towns and it was great when the weather was calm although you do have to be very organised and don’t mind rearranging the van every night.

We would not go back to a T5.

You could always hire one before committing.
I have had VW for 40+ years and agree with you, they a great in fine dry weather BUT, as a solo traveller and especially with my 1989 Westfalia California, I have never had to rearrange anything every night?

My bed stays down, my clothes in the wardrobe and above the bed, stay handy, food in the fridge, gas in the underslung tank, water and waste in the separate tanks and pot,pans etc in cupboards.
What's to move except, perhaps, the Captains front seat swivels?

Buy a 1989 Westfalia Joker and you don't have to lift the roof! 😄

PS. Now that I'm well over 70, I now have a Murvi Marello too, bit of luxury 'convenience' in my old age!
Later the Murvi might go but the VeeDub will stay, I can fix that without the need of a computer! 😄

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We are at 50 nights so far in our IH Crafter.

No campsites all off grid no problem plenty of space. The bigger the van the more you will carry that you don’t need.

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
I have had VW for 40+ years and agree with you, they a great in fine dry weather BUT, as a solo traveller and especially with my 1989 Westfalia California, I have never had to rearrange anything every night?
If there are 2 adults in a T5, you have to put away the bed or you can’t get to all the cupboards, put out the table, easily get to the sink, have room for two of you to stand up, etc.

When I’ve travelled on my own in the T5, I used to sleep in the roof (weather permitting) and leave everything in day layout below. That worked well.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Summers in Spain and Europe, Wildcamping, using a VW Transporter with a double mattress thrown in the back, Camping Gas two burner stove, four 25ltr plastic water containers a shovel, and a Solar Shower.

origin-outdoors-rollable-solar-shower.jpg

Neither W3 or I were shy.

My assessment? You expand to fill available space and resources. Just plan and rehearse.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
If there are 2 adults in a T5, you have to put away the bed or you can’t get to all the cupboards, put out the table, easily get to the sink, have room for two of you to stand up, etc.

When I’ve travelled on my own in the T5, I used to sleep in the roof (weather permitting) and leave everything in day layout below. That worked well.

Maybe that the reason I don't buy any of this modern stuff.
Have a good look at a T25 Westfalia, you'll see why they're loved!

When I'm travelled with a lady, we just left everything in the Westy as described and just swivelled her front Captain's seat with footrest, swung out the clever table arrangement, She had her G&T while I cooked the meal. (I like cooking!)

Yes, you have to be organised or you brush up against each other.....but that can be fun too! 😄

PS. Never liked sleeping in roof space, everything I wanted, including the diesel heater controls or the brandy, was always downstairs!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back