Long Stay French Visa - Our application and interview/appointment. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Just spent an hour reading this entire thread so a big thanks to all who have contributed. I am very glad I rejoined! 😁

As we now finally have a new van I want to go through this process for a six month summer trip in 2025. Our trips pre Brexit and before old Hank the Tank the Kontiki became too tired were always five to six months so I'm eager to start some proper euro adventures again.

Now I know where to come for advice.

Couple of questions. What is the current total cost for two visas as info above seems to conflict? We will choose a courier to send the passports back as Manchester is a 240 mile round trip for us.

What about proof of funds? How much do you need and are investments or private pension pots enough. We don't have joint accounts and don't keep much in current or standard savings accounts as they don't make much money.

Does anyone know if the new EES and ETIAS systems coming online shortly here will have any impact?

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Elsie was most helpful carrying us around Europe for the last 27,000 miles. It's a reg thing.
Elsie........... Mixed up with reg ? Are they getting married. Uk or in France..... Keep us posted.
Tea Bag.
PS GREAT info,only talking about this last night,as even as we are Portugues residents i have been led to believe we can only do the 90 day thing. Thanks again. Tea Bag

Mar 2, 2021
UK & Europe
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2017
Just spent an hour reading this entire thread so a big thanks to all who have contributed. I am very glad I rejoined! 😁

As we now finally have a new van I want to go through this process for a six month summer trip in 2025. Our trips pre Brexit and before old Hank the Tank the Kontiki became too tired were always five to six months so I'm eager to start some proper euro adventures again.

Now I know where to come for advice.

Couple of questions. What is the current total cost for two visas as info above seems to conflict? We will choose a courier to send the passports back as Manchester is a 240 mile round trip for us.

What about proof of funds? How much do you need and are investments or private pension pots enough. We don't have joint accounts and don't keep much in current or standard savings accounts as they don't make much money.

Does anyone know if the new EES and ETIAS systems coming online shortly here will have any impact?
Hello.

I've just completed our application and have an appointment in London next week.

The TLS cost for appointments and courier back of passports for 2 people was £153.06 (the amount is in euros and you get charged in £ which is why it is an odd amount. At the interview, you then have to pay €99 each for the visa.

There should be some info online about how much is considered a reasonable amount to live on for 6 months.

As for the EES/ETIAS, you will probably have to do that anyway despite having your biometrics taken during your visa appointment. I'm no expert though.

Good luck.

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hello.

I've just completed our application and have an appointment in London next week.

The TLS cost for appointments and courier back of passports for 2 people was £153.06 (the amount is in euros and you get charged in £ which is why it is an odd amount. At the interview, you then have to pay €99 each for the visa.

There should be some info online about how much is considered a reasonable amount to live on for 6 months.

As for the EES/ETIAS, you will probably have to do that anyway despite having your biometrics taken during your visa appointment. I'm no expert though.

Good luck.
Thanks. Worth it of course. Just wasn't sure what it all added up to.

Will have a look online as to what the proof of funds should be unless anyone knows. I presume each person will need to prove this. I can probably stick £10k in both current accounts temporarily. Presumably that would be enough.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Thanks. Worth it of course. Just wasn't sure what it all added up to.

Will have a look online as to what the proof of funds should be unless anyone knows. I presume each person will need to prove this. I can probably stick £10k in both current accounts temporarily. Presumably that would be enough.

it’s not apparently Barry as you can simply withdraw it the same day they’ve seen it

You have to show them a continuation of pensions or monthly income to support your application for the previous 3 months

I know this from experience btw

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
it’s not apparently Barry as you can simply withdraw it the same day they’ve seen it

You have to show them a continuation of pensions or monthly income to support your application for the previous 3 months

I know this from experience btw
I did read that if you don't have sufficient income or pensions sufficient savings would be accepted.

Michelle has no income and hasn't worked for over 20 years in an employed job at least and I'm semi retired (almost fully retired now) but I'm also self employed and no regular income. We have enough investments and private pensions that I don't touch to last twenty years in France though let alone six months so presumably that would be proof of funds surely?

Mar 19, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
Not wanting to go off subject but I thought this was a good place to ask. Who are folk getting travel insurance with for 6 months. We used Nationwide but I believe their new insurer Aviva only does 120 days.

Reactions: Jim
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Not wanting to go off subject but I thought this was a good place to ask. Who are folk getting travel insurance with for 6 months. We used Nationwide but I believe their new insurer Aviva only does 120 days.

AIB does 180 in Europe if you mean motorhome insurance. Travel insurance I never bother. Just use the free health card although I've not tried the new one yet.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Just read through all the comments and have started this years application. I tried to make an appointment a nothing available, I called TLS helpline and they advise unlike last year they do not book appointments over the phone.
I eventually got logged in and can see appointments, but not near the dates I need but they should appear nearer the time.
Can anyone help me with booking the appointment online, it is a joint application so I can see both names. When I select book appointment it shows me the available slots (30 mins) I can’t go any further as it would lock that appointment. The question is if I book that appointment does the system then allow me to book the next one for the second applicant. Last year it was booked over the phone.
Appreciate if anyone can tell me how it works please for joint appointment?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 2, 2021
UK & Europe
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2017
Just read through all the comments and have started this years application. I tried to make an appointment a nothing available, I called TLS helpline and they advise unlike last year they do not book appointments over the phone.
I eventually got logged in and can see appointments, but not near the dates I need but they should appear nearer the time.
Can anyone help me with booking the appointment online, it is a joint application so I can see both names. When I select book appointment it shows me the available slots (30 mins) I can’t go any further as it would lock that appointment. The question is if I book that appointment does the system then allow me to book the next one for the second applicant. Last year it was booked over the phone.
Appreciate if anyone can tell me how it works please for joint appointment?
Hi.

We've just gone through the process. I recall that as you've got a joint application, when you make the appointment it is for both of you. I did not have to make separate appointments and when at the TLS office, we were dealt with together.

Hope this helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back