Loading The Motorhome Garage? (12 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
hi ,,having a big garage is great, first time away with it, i found myself just throwing everything in ,,but has anyone got ideas about good loading methods how to use the space better ,,thanks

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
hi ,,having a big garage is great, first time away with it, i found myself just throwing everything in ,,but has anyone got ideas about good loading methods how to use the space better ,,thanks
It's a 7 step process. (y)
  1. When the garage is totally empty layout everything you are planning to take with you on the ground.
  2. Put half of the stuff back in the house.
  3. Move the remaining stuff around a bit.
  4. Now put half of it back in the house.
  5. Put what's left on the gound into the garage.
  6. When you return from your trip take the half of the stuff you packed and didn't use out.
  7. You have now packed the garage correctly.
You might as well start packing the garage as nobody else will come up with anywhere near as good a solution as this!(y)

Upvote 1
Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
Plastic crates so you can see what you have - stacked in a way you can get at the contents. And what Gellyneck said! šŸ˜‚

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have places for things,

the ladder get tied up near the door,
the windbreaks have a proper [lace on the back wall,
the toolbox and hook up cables etc have a space in the alcove bits at the front,
the table fastens against the back wall and the outside matt stands in a bucket for when it goes back in wet,
the bike panniers hang on the back wall,

that then leaves the floor space clear for bikes and a few boxes/bottles of wine(y) got the priorities right:giggle:

4 chairs, folding step ladders and a few other things go in a locker at the front.

Really it all depends what you are trying to fit it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Cliff has racked his out with aluminium strips and put council recycling bins in the holes. (As you can probably guess itā€™s me, Geri explaining this) :rofl:

If youā€™re interested I can take photos.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Iā€™ve put an 8inch piece of ply across the back wall, I can then screw or stick holders and clips to that for holding stuff.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I'm curious as to why you take folding step ladders (plural) with you in the motorhome?
Can't answer for funflair but we take a 2 step medal ladder, helps me put the silver screens on, doubles as an extra seat with a cushion, 2 folding steps one low one high, so i can reach stuff in the cupboards and an outside doorstep, so I can get in the van in the first place, would carry a full height ladder/steps to clean the van, but am not good with heights and incredibly clumsy so a bit pointless.

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We just use rako boxes

IMG_5337.jpeg

IMG_5336.jpeg

Find them quite useful

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Remember your rear axle max weight. Everything you add into a garage will load your axle by more than the item actually weighs. Many garages have a sticker within, stating the garage can be loaded to say, 250 or 300kg. This has more to do with the structure of the garage than the axle load. Heed this post below.

The dealer made much of the garage 250kg capacity, just right for a family with kids. But the rear axle with a max of 2000kg weighs 1720kg when empty. So adding 160kg of stuff in the garage, along with passengers and their allowances within, and the axle overloads by 100kg

See this https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...et-to-show-effect-of-rear-loads-on-axles.266/

Upvote 1
Aug 15, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT630
Exp
7 years full timing
I worked out the cantilever effect on the front and rear axle, my 8m mh has a large overhang from rear axle. This translated to "roughly" 50% ....so if I put 50kg in the boot its roughly 75kg on the axle weight, I weigh my mh once a year so not much guesswork needed, we full time so weights can change for us. Just had lithium and another solar panel this year too. Island bed and a garage is your axle weight nemesis...lol

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm curious as to why you take folding step ladders (plural) with you in the motorhome?
We have a telescopic ladder in the garage is I need to be on the roof for any reason, we have a 2m tall step ladders that is useful for polishing and cleaning the windscreen and mirrors, that lives in the front locker then we have a small set of steps in the garage that I need to get the legs out of the awning and putting it away again (disadvantage of a 3.5m tall van with the awning at the highest point).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
I worked out the cantilever effect on the front and rear axle, my 8m mh has a large overhang from rear axle. This translated to "roughly" 50% ....so if I put 50kg in the boot its roughly 75kg on the axle weight, I weigh my mh once a year so not much guesswork needed, we full time so weights can change for us. Just had lithium and another solar panel this year too. Island bed and a garage is your axle weight nemesis...lol
thanks ,,,no island bed ,,i have tried to put smallish heavy items in belly locker ,,the heaviest thing in garage is the cadac ,,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
We have a telescopic ladder in the garage is I need to be on the roof for any reason, we have a 2m tall step ladders that is useful for polishing and cleaning the windscreen and mirrors, that lives in the front locker then we have a small set of steps in the garage that I need to get the legs out of the awning and putting it away again (disadvantage of a 3.5m tall van with the awning at the highest point).
another disadvantage of the 3,5 mt is the toll roads saying class 3 having ,to get out and argue its a ,,camping car,, then paying hgv prices when they dont open the barrier,, šŸ˜’

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It's a 7 step process. (y)
  1. When the garage is totally empty layout everything you are planning to take with you on the ground.
  2. Put half of the stuff back in the house.
  3. Move the remaining stuff around a bit.
  4. Now put half of it back in the house.
  5. Put what's left on the gound into the garage.
  6. When you return from your trip take the half of the stuff you packed and didn't use out.
  7. You have now packed the garage correctly.
You might as well start packing the garage as nobody else will come up with anywhere near as good a solution as this!(y)
See! 27 more answers and nobody has come close to a better solution!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back