Little Help! - Leisure Battery (17 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just Purchased
Morning, we have two leisure batteries in our MH. On the control panel it shows how much of the battery is remaining, but i was wondering if this is for both batteries or just one battery?. Wasn't sure if this was for one battery and once it get to a certain percentage it would then switch to the second battery?!

Its just so we can try and figure out what we are working with if we dont have a hook up.

Thank you

Pic1.jpeg

Pic2.jpeg

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I might be wrong but I expect your controller sees only one battery-so the 33% state of charge is for both batteries combined.
More knowledgable members will be along shortly, I imagine.

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
It has got to be that it is reading both batteries - Yousa batteries are high quality but I am struggling to read details upside down. I am unsure if they are flooded lead-acid or gel or GSM. If they are flooded lead-acid you badly need to recharge them via solar or if in the UK atm by doing some driving or linking to an EHU.

If they are gel or GSM you are approaching danger territory and I would expect protective circuitry to switch them out. So more likely they are gel or GSM if you still have 12V working.

Does you Owner's Manual not tell you more on the subject?

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
I would normally expect the batteries to be connected together, but

The positives do not appear to be directly connected. The wires on each are different thickness, so not the same wire.

and the negative connection is very thin.

I would have it checked out.

But, to answer your question, put a voltmeter on both batteries in turn and see if the reading is the same.

OP
OP
L
Jun 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just Purchased
Appreciate the feedback, going back to the dealership to get an extra socket put in this week so will ask them to see what the say.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
I would normally expect the batteries to be connected together, but

The positives do not appear to be directly connected. The wires on each are different thickness, so not the same wire.

and the negative connection is very thin.

I would have it checked out.

But, to answer your question, put a voltmeter on both batteries in turn and see if the reading is the same.
I imagine that there are additional wires from the top battery which are hidden from view due to the camera angle.

OP
OP
L
Jun 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just Purchased
Just plugged the Van in to charge the battery and it jumped up to 100% , disconnected the mains , put the TV and it dropped pretty much down to 60%?!. Totally new to working out the power restraints etc, but does this seem normal?. Also, when looking at the batteries, one has a green light showing which i assume is good to go whilst the other has no light, not sure if this mean its knackered?!

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Your display is measuring the voltage from the batteries at the control unit then using an internal calculation like below to give you the %.
1727165340086.png

When you hookup the control unit shows 100% because that's measuring what the charger is putting into the batteries.
With your batteries being very low it will take many hours on charge to get them back to 100%

Tomorrow morning disconnect the hookup make sure everything is turned off then after half an hour switch the control panel on and look at the %.

If it's not 100% get your dealer to sort it out.

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
I suspect that the 100% is in effect reading the EHU input via the charger. The 60% is something like the true state of charge with the draw of the TV (which will be quite high).

Your batteries are Yausa L36-100. They are flooded lead acid batteries. I think it is vital to leave the van on EHU for a good while.

I strongly suspect that at 36% one or both your batteries are cooked. It could be that one is dead and dragging the other one down. But others are far more expert than I am.

What van? What age? (And for that matter what dealer and where are you?) That info might help with diagnosis and suggestions as to what to do.

If it is going back to the dealer leave it on EHU until you set out would be my suggestion. Ideally take it off charge a couple of hours before you set out and take a photo of the reading then to show the dealer.

OP
OP
L
Jun 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just Purchased
Appreciate the feedback, van is still under warranty and any minor issues we have the dealership (Knowepark) have been really helpful. This is started when looking at potentially buying a portable power unit as a back up, alot of things to think about!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back