Lithium, solar etc needed urgently south west UK. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi All. Not been a subscriber for many a year but was on here for a good while once upon a time so just rejoined. After running Hank the Tank our old motorhome from the last century for 16 years I finally got a new (to us) 2015 Swift Esprit 496 and after sorting a scooter rack and Gaslow promptly set off on a four month UK trip. It has one solar panel (120w) I think and just one single 110ah battery. We are not massive users of power but we do stay off grid in the same location for sometimes weeks. After a week it's clear it's not up to the job and the battery went flat last night.

So I need to fettle it while on tour so looking for recommendations for somewhere in the south west. I know there is a fair bit involved as the 2015 Swift Sargent system I gather is not up to the job of coping with Lithium on its own. I think you need a new DC charger, battery master etc and someone clever to sort it all an thats what I need.

I reckon maybe another panel, decent mppt controller and 150-200w of lithium. Probably over the top as we really only run two laptops, two smart phones water and lights but as said. We do stay put a long time.

Welcome all comments and suggestions. Even rude ones if you remember me! 🤣

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi All. Not been a subscriber for many a year but was on here for a good while once upon a time so just rejoined. After running Hank the Tank our old motorhome from the last century for 16 years I finally got a new (to us) 2015 Swift Esprit 496 and after sorting a scooter rack and Gaslow promptly set off on a four month UK trip. It has one solar panel (120w) I think and just one single 110ah battery. We are not massive users of power but we do stay off grid in the same location for sometimes weeks. After a week it's clear it's not up to the job and the battery went flat last night.

So I need to fettle it while on tour so looking for recommendations for somewhere in the south west. I know there is a fair bit involved as the 2015 Swift Sargent system I gather is not up to the job of coping with Lithium on its own. I think you need a new DC charger, battery master etc and someone clever to sort it all an thats what I need.

I reckon maybe another panel, decent mppt controller and 150-200w of lithium. Probably over the top as we really only run two laptops, two smart phones water and lights but as said. We do stay put a long time.

Welcome all comments and suggestions. Even rude ones if you remember me! 🤣
Hi Barry. :)

I remember you from previous years, and on FACTS too IIRC. 👍

I know you specified South West, but you would do very well to chat with RogerIvy and son nigelivy, as that is their speciality. They are in Wantage Oxon, trading as ..............

Good luck 👍 and :wb:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Both Vanbitz and Offgrid will do an excellent job and give you a 10% discount if you ask for it when you book in the case of Vanbitz. It may also be down to availability of stock, certainly Fogstar batteries are selling very well at the moment.

OP
OP
barryd
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi Barry. :)

I remember you from previous years, and on FACTS too IIRC. 👍

I know you specified South West, but you would do very well to chat with RogerIvy and son nigelivy, as that is their speciality. They are in Wantage Oxon, trading as ..............

Good luck 👍 and :wb:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Cheers Jock and everyone else. Great to hear from you. Been a while!

VanBitz have been suggested elsewhere but Wantage is not a million miles away. We are currently near Bridport and Lyme Regis. Of course it all depends on how quick they can get me in. I might have to find a CL with hookup and that simply won't do! 🤣

Great news about those discounts though!

Will have to have a rake about in here and see which old faces are still here. 😁

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Cheers Jock and everyone else. Great to hear from you. Been a while!

VanBitz have been suggested elsewhere but Wantage is not a million miles away. We are currently near Bridport and Lyme Regis. Of course it all depends on how quick they can get me in. I might have to find a CL with hookup and that simply won't do! 🤣

Great news about those discounts though!

Will have to have a rake about in here and see which old faces are still here. 😁

Barry

I am here, but you knew that.

I hope you realise that this is MHFun and not MHIdiots, so behave yourself. Jim is not as lax as some forum owners I know.:giggle::LOL:

Sorry the electrics are not up to scratch. Hope they are sorted soon. I reckon you got quicker and better responses than you would get on MHFacts these days.

Oh and welcome 'old sweat'.

Geoff and Basia.

OP
OP
barryd
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Barry

I am here, but you knew that.

I hope you realise that this is MHFun and not MHIdiots, so behave yourself. Jim is not as lax as some forum owners I know.:giggle::LOL:

Sorry the electrics are not up to scratch. Hope they are sorted soon. I reckon you got quicker and better responses than you would get on MHFacts these days.

Oh and welcome 'old sweat'.

Geoff and Basia.
Don't worry Geoff. I promise to behave. 😁

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
barryd
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Welcome from another old Facts member, this should be Fun now that you are back.
Lol! Another one I remember. 😁Oh now I've coughed up twenty quid of my not very hard earned cash to Jim I very much intend to take part again. Once I sort out my effing batteries that is!!! 🙄 If your lucky I might even post some of my Rock God music!

On a positive note I've spoken at length with Nick at VanBitz this morning and what a breath of fresh air
Super helpful and we have been over all the options. Going up there on Wednesday morning so they can do a proper reccy.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Lol! Another one I remember. 😁Oh now I've coughed up twenty quid of my not very hard earned cash to Jim I very much intend to take part again. Once I sort out my effing batteries that is!!! 🙄 If your lucky I might even post some of my Rock God music!

On a positive note I've spoken at length with Nick at VanBitz this morning and what a breath of fresh air
Super helpful and we have been over all the options. Going up there on Wednesday morning so they can do a proper reccy.
I hope you’ve got a healthy bank balance. 🤭🤭

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We had ours done here, excellent service and back up, had them nearly four years worked perfectly neat install real belt and braces. Ask to speak to Tom advice given freely.

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL

I've had work done by Vanbitz and found them to be excellent.
As it goes I will be there Tuesday and Wednesday night myself.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back