LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
I am at the Shepton Show and my leisure battery (lithium) has just cut out dead. I am guessing the BMS has switched it off to protect the battery.

As it is so late and I have vans close around me I do not want to wake everyone up by starting the engine to put some charge into it. In the morning assuming the engine starts and I run it at a fast tickover (2000 rev???) will the system reset itself or will there be some sort of procedure I need to go through?

This is a complete unknown for me as I have never had it happen before, and to be perfectly honest, I had never considered it as a “what if scenario”. The usual red flashing light on the dash is still working so I am assuming the starter battery will still have a charge in it. Everything else has shut down. Any advice will be welcome.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
What is the brand of battery?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I am at the Shepton Show and my leisure battery (lithium) has just cut out dead. I am guessing the BMS has switched it off to protect the battery.

As it is so late and I have vans close around me I do not want to wake everyone up by starting the engine to put some charge into it. In the morning assuming the engine starts and I run it at a fast tickover (2000 rev???) will the system reset itself or will there be some sort of procedure I need to go through?

This is a complete unknown for me as I have never had it happen before, and to be perfectly honest, I had never considered it as a “what if scenario”. The usual red flashing light on the dash is still working so I am assuming the starter battery will still have a charge in it. Everything else has shut down. Any advice will be welcome.
Do you have any sort of meter which shows the voltage or state of charge?

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Can’t remember, but fitted by Vanbitz a couple of years ago.
Sterling Power?

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
Good Morning

I have Sterling Power lithium batteries and they do switch off like that if run down completely.

They will come back on when they see a charge.

I assume you have a B2B which should do the job. It is also possible that they are on when you wake up if you have solar panel(s) and the sun is shining.

Hope you had a good night's sleep

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
What charging systems are installed. Solar? B2b?
Do you have an app that lets you see overall battery voltage and individual cell voltage levels. Hopefully just depleted and will recharge

OP
OP
Ejaydee

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
What charging systems are installed. Solar? B2b?
Do you have an app that lets you see overall battery voltage and individual cell voltage levels. Hopefully just depleted and will recharge
Yes solar and B2B and yes I have a Victron app but at the moment it has no data I guess because the BMS closed down the battery and bluetooth.

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
Guessing with recent weather the energy in from the solar hasn’t kept up with usage. B2b should get it where you need 🤞

OP
OP
Ejaydee

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
Guessing with recent weather the energy in from the solar hasn’t kept up with usage. B2b should get it where you need 🤞
Yes absolutely, but I could kick myself because usually I closely monitor the battery during the day, but last night I got distracted doing some work on the laptop and I forgot I had the TV on in the background which obviously sucked loads of energy 😟. I have two house batteries at home, so it is usually second nature for me to the app for them open and checking regularly, and when in the van, I normally do the same……until yesterday 😵‍💫. Lesson learnt the hard way.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I wonder if some sort of alarm could be designed to warn about low battery levels, before you get complete shutdown? Some sort of buzzer (that you can switch off!) that operates at a set voltage .....??

Or perhaps one already exists? In fact it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone like Victron have it within their armoury already ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ejaydee

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
That would certainly be a helpful addition (if this experience is anything to go by), but electrics and me do not mix, other than the very basics, so I would not have clue if such a feature is possible and if it is, how I could get it done. I rely heavily on those that ‘do’ electrics and electronics for their living. I just use them, and in this case, badly 🤣.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I wonder if some sort of alarm could be designed to warn about low battery levels, before you get complete shutdown? Some sort of buzzer (that you can switch off!) that operates at a set voltage .....??

Or perhaps one already exists? In fact it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone like Victron have it within their armoury already ...

When I was using a Victron Battery Protect on my system, I had it wired to a buzzer that sounded when the low battery preset was reached as you can on the green plug.

Oct 21, 2020
Durham
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail EKS
Exp
Since 2020
I don’t use one so am not sure, don’t the victron shunts have a low soc alarm or notification
If they do then that might be the way to go for the future

Andy

OP
OP
Ejaydee

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
Everything has seemingly come back online, the only immediate issue is the sat dish (Snipe type from Falcon) decided to only half put itself back home and had lots of graunching of gears. It only stopped when I climbed up and put it home by hand. I will get hold of Falcon and get advice on that later. So far everything else seems to be working. Thank you all who responded. 👏

I will also make some enquires regarding an alarm on the shunt, thanks for the suggestion.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Hopefully everything is now coming back to life with the token gesture of light on the solar.

Last few days have been appalling and I expect most have very little left in their batteries. Some vans near me have been starting engines on a twice daily basis since Friday.

The Victron smartshunt does have an alarm setting. Don't know how it sounds as haven't gone that low but suspect it must be a pop up on smartphone. On the Victron App open the smartshunt, then the settings cog and alarm should be on the pull down menu.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Do you not have an App for the battery BMS? That will tell you what happened.

Or is your battery an early incarnation without bluetooth?

Ian

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry to hear of your problem and rotten night Eddy. Take great care when driving after that please.

OP
OP
Ejaydee

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
Do you not have an App for the battery BMS? That will tell you what happened.

Or is your battery an early incarnation without bluetooth?

Ian
It does have Bluetooth, and it is now working ok. I have been directed towards the built in alarm that I did not know was there, so hopefully on another occasion the alarm will go off to warn me.

Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
Hi
Sounds like you have it sorted .

But if you are a bit worried you could always give ash a shout at van blitz as there after sales are excellent.
Also if you get your history data back on the blue tooth .
Send a screenshot of history may be helpful ?
Good luck

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Thank you for this, I have found it and it was disabled, hence no alarm sounding. I have set it for 40% SOC to sound off, is that too low do you think, or ok?
You can discharge lithium to 20% or even less safely.

What you do want is early warning things are getting low so you stop the non essential stuff like tv and laptop whilst still having juice for basics like light and water pump. The warning setting will be personal to you and you total battery capacity and what margin that would still give you For me I've set at 10%.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I have been directed towards the built in alarm

Those references are for the victron App and not your battery BMS App.

Unless your Victron battery’s BMS is visible on the Victron App.🤔

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back