Linking an inverter to the van’s 230V internal sockets (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The motorhome socket wires plug into the inverter output socket. The existing wire to the sockets you just disconnected from the mcb probably won't reach far enough, so the junction box is just to extend it so it reaches the inverter output.

All the switching happens inside the Renogy inverter. It switches automatically so that the inverter output socket is powered from either the hookup mains or the inverter mains.

Apr 12, 2021
Next to The Rusty Angel
Funster No
MH
Race Van
I have looked at the rear of the Sargent unit and think I have identified the socket wires as per picture. Thinks this is on a ring circuit as there is two white wires going into the rear of it.

Do I cut these two wires or just one of them and add a junction box enabling me to run a feed from the outlet of the inverter?

I have the inverter installed and linked to the battery, I am going to run the 240 input lead to a socket in the MH. I have a plug / flex from the outlet of the inverter, I just need to know where to link into. Sorry to ask so many questions.

TA Steve

20240725_104742_resized.jpg

20240725_104711_resized.jpg

20240725_104642_resized.jpg

20240725_104736_resized.jpg

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
There is a thread in my signature where I did this with lots of help on here. It’s automatic as soon as I switch the inverter on.

Apr 12, 2021
Next to The Rusty Angel
Funster No
MH
Race Van
Thanks for the input but I do not want to change my consumer unit. I have the Renogy inverter that automatically change over from mains to 12v. Just need to know how and where to wire the sockets only in.

TA Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I have looked at the rear of the Sargent unit and think I have identified the socket wires as per picture. Thinks this is on a ring circuit as there is two white wires going into the rear of it.

Do I cut these two wires or just one of them and add a junction box enabling me to run a feed from the outlet of the inverter?
Ring circuits are not used in motorhomes, they are always radial. Ring circuits are a quirk of UK domestic house wiring.

Looks like there are two radial circuits, the white wire from the MCB1 and one of the wires (the white one) from MCB2. There's different ways of doing this, but I think I would connect both wires feeding the sockets to one side of a junction box, and the other side to MCB1. Then both wires, ie all the sockets, will run from MCB1.

Doing that, you will end up with one wire from MCB1 to the inverter mains input. Then the two wires to the sockets joined at a junction box. Then another wire from the junction box with a plug on it, to the inverter mains output socket.

MCB1 is a 10A breaker (C10 written on it). You will have to make sure that the total load from all the sockets doesn't exceed 10A (ie 2400W). If this is a problem, and you really want to, you can change the C10 MCB for a C16 MCB like MCB 2. But I get the impression you want to leave the consumer unit unaltered. It's quite common when camping to have to think about which mains devices you can use together, and which have to be used separately. The hookup post is only 16A maximum, so you can't use more than 16 x 230 = 3680 watts in total anyway.

Another option is to move the yellow heating wire to MCB1. The 10A limit should be enough for that, I think the heater is 1800W max. Then use MCB2 (C16) for the two sockets wires, that will put the limit up to 16A.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021
Next to The Rusty Angel
Funster No
MH
Race Van
I have managed to have ago at installing the wiring from the inverter into the MH sockets.

I have a junction box with the wires from the MCB, wires to the MH sockets, wires from the inverter output and wires to the inverter input all connected together.

When I plug into EHU all runs off the mains, I can switch on the inverter and all still runs off the mains. When I shut the mains down with the inverter still switched on, it then runs off the inverter, which is what I am aiming for.

I have a slight problem as when I then switch back to the mains, it does not kick back in. I have to shut everything down then plug the mains back in. Does anyone know what the issue may be?

TA Steve

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Sorry, but I am a little confused, why would you want to run the inverter with the mains connected? I have the 3000kw Renogy inverter but only turn it on when needed. The pass through facility still works with the inverter turned off and mains connected.

Mine is wired so that not every socket is 'live' when 'off EHU' but when on EHU because of the pass through they are all 'live'.

I don't use mine for emergency power provision if the EHU fails, I use it when off EHU only. Is there a specific reason you want to use it that way?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I have a junction box with the wires from the MCB, wires to the MH sockets, wires from the inverter output and wires to the inverter input all connected together.
I don't think that is right. The wires from the MCB should be connected to the wires to the inverter input. The wires from the inverter output should be connected to the wires to the MH sockets. The way you said it, it sounds like all four sets of wires are all connected together, which is definitely wrong.

You need two junction boxes. Like the diagram in post #28. But with a second junction box between the MCB and the Inverter 240V IN.

You should not connect the inverter output to the EHU mains. Their waveforms are not synchronised. If the wave peaks coincide, it's OK. If the wave peaks are opposite, there will be a voltage of over 600V between them. Do you feel lucky? Keep the inverter output and mains input well separated.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I thought it would change back to mains if the power ever failed then kicked back in?
It depends on the 'priority setting' of the switch inside the inverter. Usually it's 'grid priority', ie the power comes from the grid (hookup) and if that fails, the inverter takes over. Then when the grid power comes back, it takes over automatically.

It sounds like you want to run from the inverter, and if that power fails, switch over to grid power. I don't know enough about Renogy inverters to tell you if it's possible to change the priority of the internal switch, maybe someone who has one will know. If it was an external transfer switch, you could just swap the two inputs. It's unusual to want inverter priority rather than grid priority.

Edit: reading your post again, I think I misread it. You want the standard priority setting, ie grid priority. That's exactly what the Renogy inverter should do, if it's wired up properly. Maybe if you sort out the wires as I said above then it will work as you want it to.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back