Like to be in bed at 9pm and remain completely undisturbed? (1 Viewer)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I will avoid that site!

This happened to us at the Red Kite Site in Wales. We were inside the van chatting, no music or tv. I don’t think we were particularly loud and the pitches were well spaced out. After the knock on the door at about 10.10 and a telling off, they must have heard a much louder burst of laughter as the door closed. I absolutely understand the need to consider others, but this seemed over the top and we just ignored them.
Would this be the same site that we visited for our first ever Fun meet Jim?

Certainly didn’t have an early night that weekend - I remember the hosts didn’t want any of us to go home to bed! :rofl:

• Funny
Reactions: Jim

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Some years ago in Italy we were outside playing a board game and laughing with the kids. A German came over and started ranting about the noise and he couldn't sleep. We stayed quiet for 5 min then carried on as before well it was only 9pm.

Not unusual in Spain in summer for the Spanish to still be up at 3 or 4 am.

Beileve it or not we have stayed on a C&MC site we were with a group of friends 4 units in all we were up boozing and being very loud until 2am no one said a word. I was expecting Mr Hitler the warden to have a go at us after the run in I had with him on arrival.

What I really can't stand are the idiots who talk in very loud voices at 8:30 in morning, waking me up.

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
when i was a teenager, yes i can remember it still, my dad used to say to me

'Son, if you're not in bed by 11pm you had better come home ....' oh, how he laughed as i squirmed ...

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Had 4 large German blokes in a small caravan behind us on a site sitting outside playing cards , by about 3-00am I shouted at them and they must understand choice English as they packed up and went inside🤬🤬 had another German on the side that must have gone to his side locker 50 times while I was sitting outside having an afternoon power nap 🤬🤬

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
when i was a teenager, yes i can remember it still, my dad used to say to me

'Son, if you're not in bed by 11pm you had better come home ....' oh, how he laughed as i squirmed ...
That reminds me of my mum saying to me as I was heading out with friends "Remember, keep your hand on your ha'penny". I used to be totally mortified.

Nov 15, 2023
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
We stayed at one last year to celebrate the coronation, it wasn’t a bad site but felt compelled to leave the following review….

Dicky B
10 reviews

Vacation | Family
Check into greenacres monastery, after you’ve checked in and taken your vow of silence, it’s a lovely place to be on edge the whole time your there, frightened to cough in case someone complains and complaints will be made after 10pm to anyone rude enough to whisper, the website should emphasise that it’s silence from 10pm, unfortunately a soundproof tent hasn’t been invented but ear plugs have, its camping after all, where anything goes and everyones friendly and happy except a few regulars here it seems, camping has never been quiet and never will be ! Having said all that the owner is the nicest man you could ever wish to meet and has the hardest job in the world so 10 stars for him 5 for the site but only 1 star for the odd few that should only attend a mime artists convention.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
That reminds me of my mum saying to me as I was heading out with friends "Remember, keep your hand on your ha'penny". I used to be totally mortified.
My lads said that the only thing their mum told them was to be sure to take their socks off first as there's no greater passion-killer than a naked or semi-naked bloke with socks on.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
That wouldn't have been my Red Kite Camping :D
I thought not - we definitely weren’t in bed by 9.30pm (on both nights!)

I remember going into your home, amazed at the wonderful spread, having a long chat with a lovely lady, who was so welcoming, but amazingly chilled.

We had no idea who you were, and even after Brian (Hilldweller) and Phil Taran_Las enlightened us, I was still none the wiser :rofl:

What a wonderful introduction to Fun - and as to early nights, we were always happy to park up near the ‘action’ - we can sleep through anything, and are usually the last to go to bed anyway! :rofl:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
So why take a thin walled van on to campsites or rally fields.

A friend of mine met another friend at a campsite at Harrogate a short while ago, they were sat outside their van drinking tea and chatting, like you do when you meet friends you've not seen for a while. At 10:05PM they are told off by a warden - 10pm is a quiet time, go back to your van!

That's fair enough, I think it's a private site they can have any rule they like and enforce it. But, IMO no one should be stopped chatting on a weekend at 10pm. Loud music, singing after 11pm of course, but sat under an awning drinking tea at 10pm!

So if that's you who gets annoyed when someone on the next pitch is chatting at the dreadfully late hour of 10pm. Head to Harrogate a quiet night and a jobsworth warden awaits :D
Not a problem for me- I just take out my hearing aids! Keeps my partner awake though!

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Few years back on a campsite in the French Alps.

French rock collector was in a caravan about 20 metres away, he started shouting at us to shut up at 20.40, that’s right, well before 9pm…..

He was by far the biggest misery we have encountered, anywhere. I wouldn’t mind but the official curfew was 11pm!

John

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Few years back on a campsite in the French Alps.

French rock collector was in a caravan about 20 metres away, he started shouting at us to shut up at 20.40, that’s right, well before 9pm…..

He was by far the biggest misery we have encountered, anywhere. I wouldn’t mind but the official curfew was 11pm!

John
Some loud heavy rock music would have drowned him out. 🤣

Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
My lads said that the only thing their mum told them was to be sure to take their socks off first as there's no greater passion-killer than a naked or semi-naked bloke with socks on.

Perhaps your lads should have been told that their socks should have been on their feet in those circumstances .... Not on anywhere else ! :LOL:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
So why take a thin walled van on to campsites or rally fields.

A friend of mine met another friend at a campsite at Harrogate a short while ago, they were sat outside their van drinking tea and chatting, like you do when you meet friends you've not seen for a while. At 10:05PM they are told off by a warden - 10pm is a quiet time, go back to your van!

That's fair enough, I think it's a private site they can have any rule they like and enforce it. But, IMO no one should be stopped chatting on a weekend at 10pm. Loud music, singing after 11pm of course, but sat under an awning drinking tea at 10pm!

So if that's you who gets annoyed when someone on the next pitch is chatting at the dreadfully late hour of 10pm. Head to Harrogate a quiet night and a jobsworth warden awaits :D
had the same in ramsgate jim cheeky bar steward came at ten too to give us a warning and stood watching us and looking at his watch

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We worked on a campsite for 4 summers and they started doing weddings as well.
We’re very often kept awake ‘till 3 or 4 o’clock, and so we’re the campers.
Usually got fireworks at about midnight or beyond without any warning.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Wake up at 4.30-5.00 every morning and start nodding off around 8.30-9.00pm for some it’s just the natural body clock, so when I finish work on a Thursday and roll up to a warners show, the body is ready for bed at 9.00pm, same as most of a 2 week trip, always up latest 6.00am Euro time.
Without any medication or illness, I don’t think I’ve seen 8.00am in bed since I was about 11 yrs old (that’s when I started doing paper rounds)🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
So Jim, it’s not necessarily a choice to be late to bed and late up, it’s just how the body works, I think some of those late night people would be just as put out if the early risers started pottering around with the radio on etc at 5.30-6.00am!
When I’m about and about on site at 6.00am I’m very considerate not to wake others up👍👍

ROLL ON RETIREMENT👍🤣🤣🤣

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Back in the 80's I was camping (in a tent) at a campsite near Edinburgh. I went to bed at 11p.m.
Minutes later a coach rolled up literally beside me and about 30 foreign students got out and started partying til 3 a.m.!!!
Naturally I moved the following day. Can't help wonder if things like that still happen today.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Wake up at 4.30-5.00 every morning and start nodding off around 8.30-9.00pm for some it’s just the natural body clock, so when I finish work on a Thursday and roll up to a warners show, the body is ready for bed at 9.00pm, same as most of a 2 week trip, always up latest 6.00am Euro time.
Without any medication or illness, I don’t think I’ve seen 8.00am in bed since I was about 11 yrs old (that’s when I started doing paper rounds)🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
So Jim, it’s not necessarily a choice to be late to bed and late up, it’s just how the body works, I think some of those late night people would be just as put out if the early risers started pottering around with the radio on etc at 5.30-6.00am!
When I’m about and about on site at 6.00am I’m very considerate not to wake others up👍👍

ROLL ON RETIREMENT👍🤣🤣🤣
I found, years ago when I employed Coach Drivers, there were some, naturally, 'Early Birds' and some 'Night Owls'.
On the long distance, 2-3 driver flyers down to Italy, Spain and back. I always included a mixture of both with a nod to the #1 Driver which ones it was, but it was up to him.

IF I was driving, I always did the Midnight - 0400 shift.
Never trusted anyone else! 😄

PS. I'm an Early Bird!

I don't mind people making noise (which includes talking as the occasional laughter can be more irritating and wakeful to a VERY light sleeper like me) as long as the rules allow and are clearly stated.

As Jim once forcefully reminded me, Rules is Rules!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
When you have spent years sleeping in a truck in a lay by at the side of the A1 or parked next door to a refrigerated truck you can sleep through anything.
BUSBY..

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I guess we’re all different - some like to stay up later and chat or have a drink, others (like me) prefer an early night and a dawn start. I’m a mountaineer, hiker, climber and cyclist, so early starts are needed to get out and make the most of the day.

My policy is that I try to do my best to not disturb others - if I’m up early at 6am I’ll try to be as quiet as possible to make sure I don’t disturb others on the site. I expect the same from other people - so appreciate it when they keep quiet after 10pm to allow “early risers” to also get a good nights sleep.

A bit of mutual courtesy from all goes a long way, and the basic period of “quiet time” between 10pm and 8am is hopefully the norm in most sites 😊

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I think I’m quite tolerant but sometimes people just take the pee, not just at nighttime some folk are up early and open and shut lockers. If it’s just talking and you know the people aren’t deliberately making noise I just put ear plugs in and leave them to it, however the worse experience was a night on a Stelplatz in Germany. It was run by the village and did have rules like no noise between certain hours. We had parked up next to two German vans with their awnings out towards each other so assumed they were together, about two hours later they were joined by two others one being a car with tentbox.

They all sat outside about 9pm chatting away, at 11pm it was now drunken laughter and very loud talking. By the time midnight had came and went I’d lost my patience with them, so with only my boxers on I approached them and politely asked if they knew the time and realised the noise they were making. The two older guys apologised while one of the younger got up from his seat and said something in German, thankfully the older one said something back and he sat down. 2 minutes later they all went back to their vans, I desperately wanted to knock their doors at 6 to say thanks but I was told not to be an arse🤣🤣
The older folk apologised the next morning while the younger just glared as I sat with a smile, it was really a grimace Incase he challenged me 🤣🤣

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back