Likes collected
Silverstream, Tyholland, County Monaghan, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Transit Conversion
Exp
N00b
HI

I did research this before i bought: Can a Lithiums be mounted on its side and the consensus seems yes.
I am limited in location/space as my house bank is under the seat of the passenger side. (Starters are under the driver seat in a transit Mk7)

So my renogy arrived I unbox the lot ... and find out the poles are not recessed and there is an additional 1cm bolt.
What would have been a tight fit but could be isolated with rubber .... has now become the mount sideways option.

I hit page 5 in the manual and get a little yellow
⚠️ Do not install batteries sideways or upside down

I had before purchase even spoken to "lifetree"regarding space issues and they lost out because in the end Renogy with this months deal was nearly 100 cheaper.

Has anyone here mounted theirs on their side and had any issues?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Mine lives on its side under passenger seat but it's not renogy brand.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have two Fogstars mounted on their side, no problem.
I suggest you contact the supplier to see if there is a reason why not.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW T5
I have two Fogstars mounted on their side, no problem.
I suggest you contact the supplier to see if there is a reason why not.
I was told by fogstar only way you could not mount them is with terminals underneath.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Yes. IMHO. No fluids to worry about.
Totally wrong, they do have liquid electrolyte and you can actually hear it moving a cell up down. The reason not to mount it upside down is if it has the relief valve at the top. The more precise recommendation would be : any orientation except not with the valve underneath upside down. Fogstar cells ( EVE) and others have the relief on top in the middle of the terminals, hence not allowed with terminals down.

But, here is the dilemma, some batteries do come with cells built in the box on their side already, and by tilting one way, will end up with cells upside down; hence not allowed on its side. If you can open or X-ray, and see which side they are, then you can tilt the box on the opposite side, and end up with upright cells.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Totally wrong, they do have liquid electrolyte and you can actually hear it moving a cell up down. The reason not to mount it upside down is if it has the relief valve at the top. The more precise recommendation would be : any orientation except not with the valve underneath upside down. Fogstar cells ( EVE) and others have the relief on top in the middle of the terminals, hence not allowed with terminals down.

But, here is the dilemma, some batteries do come with cells built in the box on their side already, and by tilting one way, will end up with cells upside down; hence not allowed on its side. If you can open or X-ray, and see which side they are, then you can tilt the box on the opposite side, and end up with upright cells.
I stand corrected. No wonder I could not fly lipo RC helicopters well. Batteries must have been upside down🤣

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
20240628_131751.jpg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I stand corrected. No wonder I could not fly lipo RC helicopters well. Batteries must have been upside down🤣
Cylindrical cells are different construction than prismatic cells, even the Lifepo4; But, your RC would have the LiPo 3.7v cylindrical cells that use a totally different electrolyte than the Lifepo4. Big difference.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Our Fogstar 280 is side mounted under the drivers seat of 22 Ducato.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
If it has heater pads I suppose mounting the wrong way could cause problems with the way it heats....

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Cylindrical cells are different construction than prismatic cells, even the Lifepo4; But, your RC would have the LiPo 3.7v cylindrical cells that use a totally different electrolyte than the Lifepo4. Big difference.

Actually they will have been packaged flat lithium polymer cells (chewy packs) in 2s, 3s, 4s up to 12s packs; definitely not cylindrical cells; I’ve rebuilt enough ‘puffed’ LiPo packs to know that! 👍🏻

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Actually they will have been packaged flat lithium polymer cells (chewy packs) in 2s, 3s, 4s up to 12s packs; definitely not cylindrical cells; I’ve rebuilt enough ‘puffed’ LiPo packs to know that! 👍🏻
Yes sure, pouch packs, like laptop and phone packs, still different.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I have 3 x 100ah ecotree mounted on thier ends in parallel connected to bus bars. Per website this is ok. (y)

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
If it has heater pads I suppose mounting the wrong way could cause problems with the way it heats....
Fogstar told me the heater pads were between the rows (or columns depending on your point of view). One of the things I checked before putting my 280Ah Drift on it's side.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Back