Lets hope the UK don't cotton on to this idea:- (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
I had this on my last trip to France found several areas with locked bins. Talk about encouraging fly tipping

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
On a free Aire you can understand the need for a charge. I pay £40 a week to have the rubbish of a max of 5 campers taken away.
Camp sites are hammered with all sorts of costs by tax collectors and councils. One would think they don’t like campers.
It’s very short sighted of councils to demand more and more tax, driving campsite fees up which in turn can drive visitors away.
They don’t realise that the visitor generally eats out at local pubs, cafe’s and restaurants, shops in local shops and supermarkets, they also use bus and train services, pay parking fees and use the attractions much more than locals do, their contribution to the local economy is vast.
It would benefit the local economy to attract more visitors all year round by cutting local rates and waste collection fees, cutting water bills and electricity costs, and maintaining public areas near camping sites as well as having regular bus services stopping at the entrance to campsites.
Businesses need to make profits in order to stay in business.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
No I wouldnt expect anything on a free aire but this is a pay aire €11.32/night, and these are public bins. cycling around yesterday all the public bins are the same. I'm there with the recycling but not convinced this is practical as it will encourage flytipping, especially with people coming off the beach.

To put the aire costs in persepective - Les Sables privately run aire has parking, 6kw electricity , water and a full range of bins for €8.50 pn

If you think about it, the taxe de séjour is meant to cover this so in theory that should be less…..

May 30, 2017
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 694
Exp
Motorhoming since 2017
And don't get me started on the deposit systems, by the time you have worked out where and how to get the 25c back you have already left the country!
Kept collecting all our cans, bottles etc when in Germany last summer, but utterly failed to manage to reclaim the deposits. Looked for the return machines in several big supermarkets but if they were there then they were well hidden. It all eventually ended up in recycling bins in France as far as I can remember.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back