Les Routiers – dining concept that is uniquely French..give it a try ! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
in France there is one kind of dining experience that just wouldn’t travel – those small, independent roadside eateries, les routiers.

Leave the autoroute and head into rural France and from 12 until 2pm you’ll find arrays of white vans, trucks and tractors parked up outside inauspicious restaurants.

It’s the clientele and their upholding of French culinary traditions that make the place what it is, and that’s why les routiers, dedicated to serving the transitory gastronomic requirements of the French, wouldn’t work anywhere else.

We tried one in Honfleur, it's up a backstreet, away from the main tourist areas.. It was just an amazing experience, cheap as chips , but the main thing was it was all French folks, mostly workers, .. no tourists, (except us) and everyone friendly and chatting.. they made us feel very welcome.

The food was basic but well cooked and served nicely.. with as much free red wine as you could drink.. we didn't indulge, so that part wasn't experienced.. probably a good idea.. lol

Give it a go.. it is truly a French experience not to be missed ..

IMG_0917.jpeg
IMG_0921.jpeg
IMG_0922.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Absolutely, we stop at them all the time when in France.
There is also an app called truckfly that tells you where to find them ,it's a lot like p4n but truckstops instead of Aires.
Ditto, well worth a stop, will try a few heading south in November,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
We ate at one North of Bergerac. Truck stop.

Buffet starter e.g. smoked salmon, snails, salad
half chicken and fries
Buffet desert e.g. chocolate pot
Half litre wine
all for.............

......€10

coffee was extra!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We ate at one North of Bergerac. Truck stop.

Buffet starter e.g. smoked salmon, snails, salad
half chicken and fries
Buffet desert e.g. chocolate pot
Half litre wine
all for.............

......€10

coffee was extra!
I'm surprised that more motorhomers don't use these places, fantastic value, set menu but always loads to eat, the thing that always puzzle's me though is these bottles of wine for truck drivers, surely they must be over the limit when they drive off.

Oct 22, 2020
God's Own County
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018
I've used Les Routiers for years travelling through France, discovered them when holidaying with my parents, had my first taste of horse in an LR, thought I was having a lovely beef stew till my dad told me what it was

Yes, I remember the lorry drivers quaffing red wine then getting in their 40 tonne artics and driving off, always gave them a head start before I followed

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Our 'local' in Mansle is as previously described full every lunch time - 14 euro with a 1/2 caraffe of wine, coffee extra - with workers, they come in and head straight for their usual table a strong etiquette exists amongst them. Non Regulars and Drop - Ins are accommodated in the Side Room. At our last recent visit to the 'Side Room' some of the Tables had been removed and a large trestle table had been placed to accommodate 12 Gendarmes enjoying a glass of beer with their meal, the amount of fire power on display was formidable.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I remember being in Lucca railway station in Italy one hot afternoon waiting for a train ....a lovely ornate building with a bar in it.

Two (armed) carabinieri saunter in around 3pm for their expressos and grappa .... one of the many things done better over in Europe - their relationship with alcohol is (largely) so much better

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Our 'local' in Mansle is as previously described full every lunch time - 14 euro with a 1/2 caraffe of wine, coffee extra - with workers, they come in and head straight for their usual table a strong etiquette exists amongst them. Non Regulars and Drop - Ins are accommodated in the Side Room. At our last recent visit to the 'Side Room' some of the Tables had been removed and a large trestle table had been placed to accommodate 12 Gendarmes enjoying a glass of beer with their meal, the amount of fire power on display was formidable.
Mansle is closed at the moment isn't it? At least from the N10. We will be passing through on Samedi. Routiers will be closed too!

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Mansle is closed at the moment isn't it? At least from the N10. We will be passing through on Samedi. Routiers will be closed too!
THe Grande Rue - Mansle's main street - is now open again after sorting out a problem with the new sewage line, the installation of that took three months. Road closure on the Aigre Rpad but that only affects lorries'.

By the time you next visit we will have two exits off the N10, north and south.

Try the La Belle Etoile on the Grand Rue you won't be disappointed. You can park by the camp ground/Hippodrome and walk across the bridge.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
When we property sat through 4 winters in France there was one nearby, went a few times and they are good.
Food is good and plenty of drink.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Les Routiers were going when I first started trucking over there 50+yrs ago.
lF I remember correctly, back then, we had some sort of membership card? 🤔

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
THe Grande Rue - Mansle's main street - is now open again after sorting out a problem with the new sewage line, the installation of that took three months. Road closure on the Aigre Rpad but that only affects lorries'.

By the time you next visit we will have two exits off the N10, north and south.

Try the La Belle Etoile on the Grand Rue you won't be disappointed. You can park by the camp ground/Hippodrome and walk across the bridge.
That's where we launched on the way south. The bourne and waste dump there was disgusting! Someone had dumped their black waste, blocked the drainoff and it was swimming in the smelly stuff. It only takes one idiot! We do often stop there though, have done for decades. Used to use the campsite in campervan days. Sometimes ate at the café there. When desperate 🙄

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
We have eaten at a few it's worth it for the food and the experience.
Cor, that reminds me, a regular stop on route to Italy via back in the 70's, always stopped at the bakehouse between Macon and
Bourg en bresse. before climbing up to the old mont blanc tunnel.

OP
OP
S

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
I should have mentioned it was an evening meal we had, started serving at 7 pm .

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We have stopped at a few. And some have showers you can use. A lot of truckers, stay in the car parks ,so can partake more than the odd glass of wine.

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Have eaten at La Belle on N10 many years ago & also in Limoges when travelling by car as it’s near the B&B Hotel, we order buffet starter then dessert

Would be good to see details of favourite La Routiers & details of lunch or evening opening times from people with first hand knowledge. Language is a problem for us so would be good to know if it’s self service buffet etc etc

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
As a student of French medieval history for the past 20 years the term 'Routiers' to me means bands of unemployed mercenaries which has some relevance to today's caffs for travellers. Between lucrative battles gangs of homeless unemployed rambling routiers would pillage villages for food and accommodation which was no doubt the motivation for the villagers to feed them voluntarily.
The routiers' history can be traced back to a few years after the start of the Hundred Years' War, to Brittany in the early 1340s. No revenue was being generated from the revenues of the Duchy of Brittany for the English army, which meant that they weren't paid nor benefited from handsome ransom payments for captured enemy soldiers so had to live off the land. This 'living off the land' began as simple freebooting, but quickly transformed into patis, or 'ransoms of the country'. A village near a garrison would usually be ransacked for any supplies. Subsequently, the village would be forced to pay the respective garrison for future protection.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back