Lenny's Heading South, not a Clue Where.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
Other than that it is alright?

Seriously, you are right about the pedals. Even for people who have never driven a LHD motorhome.

But, the storage box is good. Because it is all mine.

Climate Control? - I don't think you would have had that at all if you had stuck to Hymer.

Manic - We will have to watch we don't get ticked off for taking the thread off topic. :giggle:

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Other than that it is alright?

Seriously, you are right about the pedals. Even for people who have never driven a LHD motorhome.

But, the storage box is good. Because it is all mine.

Climate Control? - I don't think you would have had that at all if you had stuck to Hymer.
Standard on Hymers, comes in the Komfort pact that you can't buy the van without, previous Hymers have had it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Loads wrong they were never designed to be LHD, not just the driving, it compromises the layout as well.
Nowt wrong with RHD, with the UK nearside passenger seat it makes it much easier to turn it round without a steering wheel in the way so to me that makes it better layout-wise, also I can easily pop out of the cab door if necessary to help direct hubby, eg reversing etc.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Recently, a few typos with your posts. Too late to fix that that one now.
Try reading Rule 1 before posting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
CCP does seem to be taking over but there are still plenty of free Aires in France, you just have to look for them, most of the smaller villages still have them.
We have been in France now for 4 weeks our total spend on Aires this time is 00.00€ and we’ve had free EHU 3 times.

Earlier this year I think the spend on Aires was something like 00.28€ for 30 days and there again had several nights on EHU.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
Earlier this year I think the spend on Aires was something like 00.28€ for 30 days and there again had several nights on EHU.
Less than 1 cent per night!
That IS cheap!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Loads wrong they were never designed to be LHD, not just the driving, it compromises the layout as well.

Honestly don’t think our layout is compromised, more than happy with it, it definitely works for us.

Maybe some drivers struggle more than others, just saying 😂😂

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Fill yer boots, plug in and see how much electric you can use before he gets back👍🤣🤣🤣🤣
I couldn't use much . My fridge doesn't work on 240v and I've no 240v appliances lol. I have everything set up to run and charge on 12v .

Us proper off grid types have it sussed lol.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I couldn't use much . My fridge doesn't work on 240v and I've no 240v appliances lol. I have everything set up to run and charge on 12v .

Us proper off grid types have it sussed lol.
Well run some extensions out to the neighbours then👍🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I've had 4 rhd a class vans and 2 lhd a class vans and whilst I managed fine with the rhd I much prefer the lhd . Not just in Europe but in the UK too. I also couldn't have one without a cab door. That having to go out the hab door to fuel up or to check space behind me etc would drive me nuts .

Fortunately the rhd euramobil a class and the first mobilvetta i had ,had a cab door on each side aswell as the hab door so that was OK but the frankia and hymer rhd with left hand side cab door was a pain in the ass.

Probably OK if there's 2 of you but as a solo traveller that caused me lots of hassle.

I don't think I'd be put off a van if everything else was perfect but it's now always on my search criteria and I'd always buy lhd first over rhd now.

Coachbuilt I wouldn't care.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
👈 Our RHD Rapido A Class has a passenger door 🤫

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I notice from the photo from Silves that the alloys are not the usual pattern Fiat ones. Lenny HB I thought you were on the light chassis or did you spec heavier wheels?
That is the newer Fiat wheel design but 16“ wheels are an option they charge for but they won't sell you a van without them, same with electric on the Truma.

With the 180hp & 9 speed box which is standard on RHD, the brakes, hubs etc., are all from the maxi, it's basicly a maxi chassis with an Al-Ko light chassis. Puts the weight up by 55kg.
I think it's the same with all converters using the 180 & 9 speed.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
With the 180hp & 9 speed box which is standard on RHD, the brakes, hubs etc., are all from the maxi, it's basicly a maxi chassis with an Al-Ko light chassis. Puts the weight up by 55kg.
I think it's the same with all converters using the 180 & 9 speed.

It’s the same for those of us with the standard non-Al-Ko Fiat chassis with other flavours of the 2.2 engine, provided it has the 9 speed ZF box. As per royandsharont our Adria Compact came with all the uprated components and wheels - which have made the up plating relatively inexpensive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back