Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 26, 2024
Basingstoke, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise rhythm ch
Exp
8 years
Is it possible to overcharge the leisure battery due to being hooked up for over 2 weeks and under no load. Reason I ask is that hooked up to domestic supply in above circumstances and noticed my smart meter was showing a large power drawdown. Switched off various domestic supplies (fridges/freezers), made no difference. Only other thing running was hook up. Disconnected and seen no problem since

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
If the charger in the van was really old and basic, it could be constant voltage device, which would eventually just boil your battery.

Was the fridge on in the van? 3 way fridges in 240v mode chomp though a lot of electricity.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Is it possible to overcharge the leisure battery due to being hooked up for over 2 weeks and under no load. Reason I ask is that hooked up to domestic supply in above circumstances and noticed my smart meter was showing a large power drawdown.
How much is the 'large drawdown'?
Switched off various domestic supplies (fridges/freezers), made no difference.
Presumably you mean those in your dwelling
Only other thing running was hook up.
What items are running in the m/home?
Disconnected and seen no problem since

If the leisure battery charger in the m/home is ON and faulty (or the battery is faulty) it will boil the battery. Check that the battery isn't getting hot/gassing (it's inflammable gas). If it is hot disconnect it and remove it carefully asap, with protective/rubber gloves and eye protection.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
If the leisure battery charger in the m/home is ON and faulty (or the battery is faulty) it will boil the battery. Check that the battery isn't getting hot/gassing (it's inflammable gas). If it is hot disconnect it and remove it carefully asap, with protective/rubber gloves and eye protection.

This happened to me , MoHo 2 years old , fried the battery

20220711_105338.jpeg
20220711_105557.jpeg
20220711_105319.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back