Leisure battery fitting

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 66-2
Exp
Since Sept ‘21.
Having checked that a new leisure battery will fit in the compartment, I’m disappointed to find that it actually doesn’t! The lid sits about 1.5cm too high. I think the measurements provided by the battery retailer didn’t include the terminal posts. So I now have the choice of either returning the battery for a different model, or of modifying the underside of the compartment lid, which has moulded plastic bracing (see pic). It would be easy to remove some of this at the relevant points, but I thought I’d check on here as to whether this is a bad idea. Thoughts?

IMG_4129.jpeg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
If thats just the underside of a "lid" over the batteries then i see no issue taking the webs off. So long as the positive post or bare cable ends cannot make contact with the metal base or the swivel.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
If thats just the underside of a "lid" over the batteries then i see no issue taking the webs off. So long as the positive post or bare cable ends cannot make contact with the metal base or the swivel.
I agree. ☝️

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
So long as that lid is not under pressure from above it should be ok. Just be certain over time that no metal (or your seat underside) can press down and touch the top of the battery. (y)

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Are you using terminal posts or threaded bolts. It may fit perfectly if you use threaded brass bolts ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
Having checked that a new leisure battery will fit in the compartment, I’m disappointed to find that it actually doesn’t! The lid sits about 1.5cm too high. I think the measurements provided by the battery retailer didn’t include the terminal posts. So I now have the choice of either returning the battery for a different model, or of modifying the underside of the compartment lid, which has moulded plastic bracing (see pic). It would be easy to remove some of this at the relevant points, but I thought I’d check on here as to whether this is a bad idea. Thoughts?

View attachment 920410
Its not just the battery posts though is it......have you factored in the cables and post clamps etc that will sit on top of the battery...?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DaveHobson
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 66-2
Exp
Since Sept ‘21.
Thanks all.
Or Just make a wooden lid with a frame around to lift it to the desired height. :unsure:
Splendid idea. 25mm MDF would do the job perfectly. Thanks!
It’s not just the battery posts though is it......have you factored in the cables and post clamps etc that will sit on top of the battery...?
Good point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DaveHobson
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 66-2
Exp
Since Sept ‘21.
Its under passenger seat
Not on ours - in the kitchen floor. We ended up exchanging the battery for a lower profile one. And a big shout-out for Tayna Batteries, who couldn’t have been more helpful. Thanks for all the advice on here.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back