Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Motohome
Apr 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
buying soon
Slightly off topic e.g. "is it okay to run the inverter?" I would advise don't run the ring base station on the inverter. These products use 5v DC and therefore there's no need to use the AC plug. You will use the 12v batteries to power the inverter, only to use the plug and convert down to 12DC, with USB plug to the base station.

So I tend to look at the power output of the plug and provide that without using the inverter and plug etc.

Looking at the plug of the Ring base station online, I think the plug is rated up to 2.5A so I would try it something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CFV1J36K/?tag=mhf04-21
The base station won't work on a standard USB 1A plug, it "might work" on the 2.1A but I would get one of the above like from amazon, that way you know it can deliver up to 36W which will be plenty.

Edit note: I notice that if we ever save an amazon link, it automatically applies the tag=mhf01-21 which means the owner of this site will get commission. This is not me adding that reference, this seems to be automatic and I just wanted to say I didn't do this and I don't get any commision.
That’s interesting.. Thanks for that👍.. looking at the plug from the base unit it states ..output +5.0v 2.5A 12.5W.. I also use the inverter to power a mifi router which is plugged in to a usb port on an extension cable so I’m assuming I can power both from the leasure batteries alone? These are the only 2 things I’d need to have power when we leave the van.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
looking at the plug from the base unit it states ..output +5.0v 2.5A 12.5W..
Next thing to look at is, exactly what type of USB plug is it that goes into the Ring unit - is it a USB-C type or a Micro USB? The output of 2.5A is slightly higher than many USB chargers, most of them go to 2.1A or 2.4A. So you may need a more modern charger, with 'QC3.0' or higher, or maybe 'PD' (= Power Delivery). The one in TravellingSmurff's link (post#29) looks good, it's two QC3 outputs, 36W each. You can get higher power USB supplies, but that should be good enough.

It's always better to use low voltage supplies from a 12V battery, using an inverter is to be avoided unless there really is no other way.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
And don't forget that lithium batteries can provide 14.4v ....

OP
OP
Motohome
Apr 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
buying soon
Next thing to look at is, exactly what type of USB plug is it that goes into the Ring unit - is it a USB-C type or a Micro USB? The output of 2.5A is slightly higher than many USB chargers, most of them go to 2.1A or 2.4A. So you may need a more modern charger, with 'QC3.0' or higher, or maybe 'PD' (= Power Delivery). The one in TravellingSmurff's link (post#29) looks good, it's two QC3 outputs, 36W each. You can get higher power USB supplies, but that should be good enough.

It's always better to use low voltage supplies from a 12V battery, using an inverter is to be avoided unless there really is no other way.
The plug that goes into the Ring base unit is the barrel type

OP
OP
Motohome
Apr 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
buying soon
I’m assuming then that I’ll be able to power the unit using this adapter, so to give it a go I’ve purchased this cable.

IMG_0084.jpeg

IMG_0085.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There's a few sizes, the most common two are both 5.5mm outer diameter, with either a 2.1mmor 2.5mm hole. I find the easiest way to tell them apart is using a 2.5mm drill bit, which fits one but not the other.

May 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Converted VW Crafter
That’s interesting.. Thanks for that👍.. looking at the plug from the base unit it states ..output +5.0v 2.5A 12.5W.. I also use the inverter to power a mifi router which is plugged in to a usb port on an extension cable so I’m assuming I can power both from the leasure batteries alone? These are the only 2 things I’d need to have power when we leave the van.
You're welcome. Yes I do the same too with a mifi. So if an appliance has a plug and a lead that goes straight into the device, e.g. kettle, air fryer, then this will always need 240V and, therefore an inverter. But if it has a block between the plug and appliance, then 9 times out of 10 I would say that's a step down converter to DC and time to look at the output and go through the process as before.

OP
OP
Motohome
Apr 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
buying soon
You're welcome. Yes I do the same too with a mifi. So if an appliance has a plug and a lead that goes straight into the device, e.g. kettle, air fryer, then this will always need 240V and, therefore an inverter. But if it has a block between the plug and appliance, then 9 times out of 10 I would say that's a step down converter to DC and time to look at the output and go through the process as before

OP
OP
Motohome
Apr 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
buying soon
In relation to the device on Amazon you suggested, I can’t see any mention on the listing regarding it stepping down to 5v (ring adapter plug is 5v 2.5 A 12.5W)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
In relation to the device on Amazon you suggested, I can’t see any mention on the listing regarding it stepping down to 5v (ring adapter plug is 5v 2.5 A 12.5W)
Actually, you are right, it doesn't actually say 5V anywhere. But it's part of the USB specification, which includes the Quick Charge Version 3 (QC3). The original USB spec was 5V only. Later versions use the data lines to communicate with the device to negotiate a higher voltage, like 9V, 12V etc. However if the device doesn't request a higher voltage, it only gets 5V. So the original USB devices just get the old standard 5V.

As for amps, the max amps will be 3A. At the highest voltage, (12V) that will give a maximum power of 12 x 3 = 36W, which is listed in the specification.

So your cable with the round barrel DC connector won't have any ability to request a higher voltage, and will only get the standard 5V. It will output up to 3 amps.

I've not used one of these devices, but they look very good - I just ordered a couple for charging the phones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Motohome
Apr 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
buying soon
There's a few sizes, the most common two are both 5.5mm outer diameter, with either a 2.1mmor 2.5mm hole. I find the easiest way to tell them apart is using a 2.5mm drill bit, which fits one but not the other.

Actually, you are right, it doesn't actually say 5V anywhere. But it's part of the USB specification, which includes the Quick Charge Version 3 (QC3). The original USB spec was 5V only. Later versions use the data lines to communicate with the device to negotiate a higher voltage, like 9V, 12V etc. However if the device doesn't request a higher voltage, it only gets 5V. So the original USB devices just get the old standard 5V.

As for amps, the max amps will be 3A. At the highest voltage, (12V) that will give a maximum power of 12 x 3 = 36W, which is listed in the specification.

So your cable with the round barrel DC connector won't have any ability to request a higher voltage, and will only get the standard 5V. It will output up to 3 amps.

I've not used one of these devices, but they look very good - I just ordered a couple for charging the phones.
Okay, thanks for that update…. Just wanted to be sure before I buy one myself. Appreciated 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back