Leaving inverter on (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
buying soon
Hi.. we have recently had solar fitted (3x175w panels, 2x100ah lithium, VictronConnect controller and 3500w inverter). We are selling the house and living in the van (Hymer Exais-I 562) until the end of the year when we are moving to Spain. There certainly seems to be enough power to run things like an air fryer, induction hob etc. but I’m wondering if it’s okay to leave the inverter on most of the time. I am thinking can I utilise my Ring alarm system I’ve been using in the house. I’ve tested it out using a dongle for WiFi and it works perfectly. I just need to know if leaving an inverter on could cause an issue.

OP
OP
Motohome
Apr 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
buying soon
Just a waste of electricity!

Look at the quiescent drain and decide.

Tony
Thanks for the advice. I wouldn’t say it’s a waste though when it is providing security for the van. I don’t think it uses much as the controller has been on float for the last couple of days since I plugged the Ring base unit in.

OP
OP
Motohome
Apr 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
buying soon
Thanks for the replies everyone. I’m just wanting to know if I leave my inverter on constantly with things plugged in to it (Ring base unit and a mifi) is this okay or not. It will be in Spain soon, so power won’t be a problem

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for the replies everyone. I’m just wanting to know if I leave my inverter on constantly with things plugged in to it (Ring base unit and a mifi) is this okay or not. It will be in Spain soon, so power won’t be a problem
No problem if the suns out

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
It won’t create any issues other than battery drain. Remember, even in Spain during winter the sun is low and does not give the harvest you may expect. We wintered in Spain and have 1kw of solar and some days were not great.

Apr 30, 2010
Marlborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
We have a full Victron set up in the RV. We have had the inverter running for the last 7 months with no issues & no connection to electrickery.
If we have no Sun for a few days & the battery drops to 80% then the genny will kick in on auto start & charge to 90%.
If you are full timing you can keep an eye on things anyway.
Arthur.

OP
OP
Motohome
Apr 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
buying soon
It won’t create any issues other than battery drain. Remember, even in Spain during winter the sun is low and does not give the harvest you may expect. We wintered in Spain and have 1kw of solar and some days were not great.
That’s a lot of solar 👍

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You won't get a definitive answer as there are too many variables. The only way to know is by trying it and monitoring the battery voltage. If it get near 12v then the answer is probably no. Hopefully, the solar will be more than be able to cope.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I don't know the details, but I would imagine a Ring alarm takes very little power. It might be worth getting a small inverter, say 150W, that is left on permanently to power the alarm. It will have much less of a drain than a big 3500W inverter. Then you can turn the big inverter on and off as required. Make sure it's a Pure Sine Wave type, to avoid causing problems with the alarm electronics.

OP
OP
Motohome
Apr 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
buying soon
You won't get a definitive answer as there are too many variables. The only way to know is by trying it and monitoring the battery voltage. If it get near 12v then the answer is probably no. Hopefully, the solar will be more than be able to cope.

I don't know the details, but I would imagine a Ring alarm takes very little power. It might be worth getting a small inverter, say 150W, that is left on permanently to power the alarm. It will have much less of a drain than a big 3500W inverter. Then you can turn the big inverter on and off as required. Make sure it's a Pure Sine Wave type, to avoid causing problems with the alarm electronics.
I’ll look at that option.. thanks for the info👍

Reactions: DBK
Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
Does the Ring alarm really run on 240?

Worth checking.

I’ve got all sorts of buck boost power supplies running my ‘240’ equipment, even the LG tv!

Tony

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Apparently, mine will switch itself off after a while if there is no consumption. I cannot yet confirm this as I'm a newbie.
What make is it? Our Buttner will switch itself off if it senses no drain after a set period of time. However, holding the on/off button in for 3 seconds switches it to “constant” which means it remains on until switched off manually.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
What make is it? Our Buttner will switch itself off if it senses no drain after a set period of time. However, holding the on/off button in for 3 seconds switches it to “constant” which means it remains on until switched off manually.
Well without going outside and looking at the panel, I have no idea. Mine is not a button rather a physical switch which is either on or off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 12, 2023
Bridgend, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Bursner Solarno 690
Exp
since 2016
Just remember most inverters have a fan on, if it's left on permanently there will be a build up of dust inside inverter on components. You should blow the dust out once a year just to prevent any overheating or possible shorting if the dust becomes damp.
Malcolm

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
Hi.. we have recently had solar fitted (3x175w panels, 2x100ah lithium, VictronConnect controller and 3500w inverter). We are selling the house and living in the van (Hymer Exais-I 562) until the end of the year when we are moving to Spain. There certainly seems to be enough power to run things like an air fryer, induction hob etc. but I’m wondering if it’s okay to leave the inverter on most of the time. I am thinking can I utilise my Ring alarm system I’ve been using in the house. I’ve tested it out using a dongle for WiFi and it works perfectly. I just need to know if leaving an inverter on could cause an issue.
If the ring system can be powered from either 12v or usb you can run it from the leisure battery with only a small current drain.
Otherwise Amazon has a usb powered Blink camera for £20. They are excellent quality and easy to set up. Works via your WiFi. We have a mobile router connected to an outside aerial (motorhome WiFi). It's good for security and to check that our dog is ok on the rare times that we have to leave him.
We have three of those cameras and they are easy to mount.

May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
When my 1600w Victron was installed, the engineer was surprised when I didn't want it left on all the time. I still don't but I haven't got anything that needs it on. Have considered running the Truma water heater off it (particularly when driving) but haven't done so yet.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've just charged three (parallel) batteries from around 50% to full charge in 2½ days with no sun.... Rained for the last 6 days.
Single 170w panel and a blue-sky controller.

1720990588446.png

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2009
Summer in UK, then NZ
Funster No
MH
Cabover
Exp
Since 2002
I leave mine on all the time, unless I'm on a hook up

May 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Converted VW Crafter
Slightly off topic e.g. "is it okay to run the inverter?" I would advise don't run the ring base station on the inverter. These products use 5v DC and therefore there's no need to use the AC plug. You will use the 12v batteries to power the inverter, only to use the plug and convert down to 12DC, with USB plug to the base station.

So I tend to look at the power output of the plug and provide that without using the inverter and plug etc.

Looking at the plug of the Ring base station online, I think the plug is rated up to 2.5A so I would try it something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CFV1J36K/?tag=mhf04-21
The base station won't work on a standard USB 1A plug, it "might work" on the 2.1A but I would get one of the above like from amazon, that way you know it can deliver up to 36W which will be plenty.

Edit note: I notice that if we ever save an amazon link, it automatically applies the tag=mhf01-21 which means the owner of this site will get commission. This is not me adding that reference, this seems to be automatic and I just wanted to say I didn't do this and I don't get any commision.

OP
OP
Motohome
Apr 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
buying soon
Does the Ring alarm really run on 240?

Worth checking.

I’ve got all sorts of buck boost power supplies running my ‘240’ equipment, even the LG tv!

Tony
It’s plugged in to the mains in the house but checking the plug, it runs on 5v 👍

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back