Learning from Portugal: Enhancing NHS Antibiotic Protocols (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I think it's time that the NHS reconsidered their protocols re the use of antibiotics.

I am hoping I'm cured of an intestinal problem as I have never felt better but no thanks to the NHS. My thanks go to a GP in Portugal and his or their attitude to the use of antibiotics.

Since 2015 I have suffered from long bouts of pain in the iliac fossa region. I have lost count of the tests and treatments tried but most med profs said it was diverticulitis and prescribed antibiotics which mostly worked for a short while then the problem would return stronger and much worse. There is much more detail but I won't bore you.

At the beginning of February we were in Portugal when after some months without serious symptoms, it became so bad I could barely walk. I called a local GP and was given an appointment very quickly. The 60 Euro fixed price consultation lasted about 90 minutes. On top of that I paid a further sum of 240 Euro for a raft of tests. The clinic had its own labs so tests results came back in just 10 minutes: amazing. I was able to get my NHS medical history up on my phone and the GP went through it carefully. His diagnosis was severe diverticulitis to be treated by antibiotics. I was not really surprised but he went on to say that he felt the problem could have been cured years ago. In his opinion the strength of the antibiotics I had received time and again was not enough and could well have made things worse as the infection was not "killed" just “wounded” and made more resistant to further treatment. He prescribed two antibiotics, one I had had many times before but in doses four times greater and at double the frequency. His parting shot was that in Portugal they try to crush the infection to ensure it does not reoccur and become resistant to treatments. Is it time for our NHS to think that way?

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I have had similar issues before. I used to suffer with a recurring severe cough that would last several weeks.xrays always showed it to be nothing nasty so I was always prescribed antibiotics at a dose and freqency such that just as they were beginning to take effect the dose ran out and the cough would continue. Rinse and epeat.
When I moved to the US and the cough returned my GP there said “we will treat this sucker aggressively and kill it” very strong antibiotics got rid of the infection and I have not had a recureence for many years since.
I agree with previous comments and believe that the half-hearted way we appear to precribe antiniotics in the UK is what is causing the resistance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back