OP
OP
D
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
I really love these sort of threads , someone who isn't afraid of having a go, there are a few on here who have done the same thing and don't think any of them failed.
We could be the first to fail ? You only fail when you give up!!

scandude

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi

How far have you got with the repairs? I'm in a very similar situation, the previous owners have put screws all over the roof sometimes trying to screw into the original insulation (obviously not a good idea) I'm currently left with hundreds of screws protruding through the roof.

I'm thinking of using this should sort out the problems with a leaky roof. Then looking to replace all the frame with some good quality timber and either kingspan insulation or celotex.

Keep going, it does seem like lots of work and sometimes seems like more than you originally thought but perseverance is something us older Brits are quite good at :)

lesleyjean

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Just love your positive attitude. Just keep everyone involved motivated.

You will make it.

Can't wait to see the completed project. Good luck

OP
OP
D
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
Hi

How far have you got with the repairs? I'm in a very similar
Hi

How far have you got with the repairs? I'm in a very similar situation, the previous owners have put screws all over the roof sometimes trying to screw into the original insulation (obviously not a good idea) I'm currently left with hundreds of screws protruding through the roof.

I'm thinking of using
Hi

How far have you got with the repairs? I'm in a very similar situation, the previous owners have put screws all over the roof

Hi Scandude - I'm sorry to hear you're in a similar situation - it isn't nice but like you say, staying positive is the way through this. We are down to the bare bones - basically the whole of the inside has been stripped out & we're taking the insulation off. My brother-in-law (an ex-woodwork teacher) has been great with advice. He told the boys to only remove timber that came away easily (if rotted). They were trying to get it all off. If it was hard to remove he told them to put some sort of stuff on it that turns to resin (obviously after it has dried out & I have washed it with mould & mildew). Then it's basically start with fresh insulation & rebuild which will be less soul destroying.

How long have you owned yours? My advice to anyone buying a MH is to take a damp meter with them & test every nook & cranny.

If you need any advice, I can send you my mobile number & you can What's App photos - I can send you photos of ours too. When you get to the bare bones it's a bit scary - there's very little holding them together - we had to put in 2 temporary frames across the vehicle to hold the aluminium together.

Keep us posted!

OP
OP
D
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
Sorry - I'm a bit useless with how to reply - I tried to remove most of the quote & don't know how it ended up posting them 3 times - I need coffee...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scandude

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Dotplus

We've owned ours for around 4 months but due to work, family life commitments and trying to enjoy some sun whilst we can, we haven't done very much.

I'm not trying to rush the project and I've given myself till next year to complete it as I'm a total newbie at re-building a motor-home (so I have to understand what tools and materials are needed to do the best job at the cheapest price). I'm doing lots of research to find the best way to make it look tidy and ultimately watertight (especially with all those pesky screws in the roof).

I have lots of tools already as I like to tinker (circular saw, socket sets, impact drivers etc) and I understand how they all work but it's putting that knowledge into fixing plywood to aluminium and bonding different materials together to form a warm, waterproof area. My main issue has been getting hold of celotex or king span at 20 mm (i can find lots at 25 mm) but i want to use 20 mm as originally installed, as even a 5 mm difference will make it awkward to fit against some of the good 20 mm undamaged parts. I have managed to find a e-Bayer who has lots of 20 mm Styrofoam at a good price (as this is what was there originally) so I've order 12 sheets of that recently so hopefully I will be able to complete the bed area (I'm concentrating on this first as it seemed reasonably easy and if this looked good it would give me the confidence to crack on with the rest)

I'm trying not to strip it all out at present as there is obviously some good bits in the motor home that feel dry to the touch and sound really solid when knocking it with my knuckle, unlike the opposite side which felt cold, moist and soft. I fully intend to get a damp meter when I have uncovered all the obvious bad bits as I don't want to spend time and money and to leave it to find more damage later, so that's a really helpful tip.

I'm taking pics as I go as I intend on putting them on here when the project is done as I'm not sure if i'd be less motivated seeing the odd few pics where it isn't getting done, but I'm more than willing to share what experience I have so far.

Hopefully by keeping in touch with everyone on here and looking for some sagely advise it will be a massive help in the months to come

Best Wishes

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back