Leaking Gas Cylinder (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
We recently received a call from a concerned Motorhome owner who had gas escaping from his filler point in Europe , so after being given the relevant information about removing the cylinder from the Motorhome ,also being told to empty it safely before travelling.
Call today to say he’s arrived home safely 🤔
Here’s what he decided to do , he first tries a Marigold glove finger on the filler elbow of the cylinder that he hasn’t emptied as instructed, that blows off too quickly so he now tries a complete new Marigold glove ⚠️
Not wanting to leave his cylinder in Europe or miss his booked crossing he travels to ( yes this is completely true ) the tunnel, fits the Marigold glove and embarks his Motorhome onto the train through the tunnel.
He proudly tells us how well the tunnel is ventilated and how it wouldn’t be a problem. , he did say that the glove was well blown up when he disembarked 🤬

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
We recently received a call from a concerned Motorhome owner who had gas escaping from his filler point in Europe , so after being given the relevant information about removing the cylinder from the Motorhome ,also being told to empty it safely before travelling.
Call today to say he’s arrived home safely 🤔
Here’s what he decided to do , he first tries a Marigold glove finger on the filler elbow of the cylinder that he hasn’t emptied as instructed, that blows off too quickly so he now tries a complete new Marigold glove ⚠️
Not wanting to leave his cylinder in Europe or miss his booked crossing he travels to ( yes this is completely true ) the tunnel, fits the Marigold glove and embarks his Motorhome onto the train through the tunnel.
He proudly tells us how well the tunnel is ventilated and how it wouldn’t be a problem. , he did say that the glove was well blown up when he disembarked 🤬
Yes , they walk among us. Unfortunately 😳😳😳

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So do we presume it was the cylinder leaking not the filler point which I took to be on the side of the motorhome?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So do we presume it was the cylinder leaking not the filler point which I took to be on the side of the motorhome?
So now I have this image of a giant Marigold glove extending from the side of a van as it tries onto squeeze on the tunnel train, thank goodness we are going by ferry next trip ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Basildog

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
It’s often both the filler point and the cylinder or tank that leak , through both NRV’s , normally caused by dirt in the filler point , which is why we stress the importance of immediate replacement of a lost filler cap and to cover straight away to prevent dirt and debris from entering.
Although very rare we have had a few extremely embarrassed customers that have had several fire engines and police closing the road after leaks on a garage forecourt.
For obvious reasons they immediately call the emergency services.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
So now I have this image of a giant Marigold glove extending from the side of a van as it tries onto squeeze on the tunnel train, thank goodness we are going by ferry next trip ;)
I used the ferry every trip, I can swim fairly well. 👍

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The glove won’t be big enough for such a long crossing as the ferry. So luckily he was on the tunnel as its only half an hour rather than half a day.
🤣🤣

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Peoples casual approach to gas safety often astounds me. The number of times I see DIY home built vans with obviously dangerous installations, posted online proudly, is genuinely frightening. Mind you, I wasn't that impressed by the large professional converter who had a very expensive show van at the NEC which appeared to have no drop out holes in any of the drawers under gas connections.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
But it's part of the experience, not stuck in a bloody hole like a blind mole! 😄
Yeah. A couple of hundred school kids in a metal box afloat for 6hours will always be an experience.

🤣🤣🤣

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Peoples casual approach to gas safety often astounds me. The number of times I see DIY home built vans with obviously dangerous installations, posted online proudly, is genuinely frightening. Mind you, I wasn't that impressed by the large professional converter who had a very expensive show van at the NEC which appeared to have no drop out holes in any of the drawers under gas connections.
I think it's fair to say that the German vans have a different approach than UK built, certainly ours doesn't have the holes that our caravan had, but there again our house doesn't either.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm happy in the tunnel, Mrs. Odd is Irish and good with a shovel 🤣🤣
You'd better be good to her then otherwise she'll use it in several different ways, likely painful to you and the final use being to dig a very long deep hole for a certain Mr Odd ... :giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You get a bigger bang for your buck.
OMG ... the amount of double entendres you can 'imagine' from that phrase will keep some funsters up for hours! :LOL:

NB: by 'up' mean awake! :love:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I have never used the tunnel without the gas bottle being checked by tunnel staff.....

Not actually seen......

Not sure if I believe the story.....

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Idiots and unfortunate people kept me busy during my Fire Service career....
Idiots caused the problems and unfortunate people suffered the consequences..🙄

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back