Lead from mh to yr home to cool fridge over night (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Thankyou all for such helpful advice..would be lost without you all..
We have been Motorhoming since September 2020 and are STILL learning.

Early this year, we discovered a three pin socket and a 12v socket we didn’t even know we had 🤷‍♂️

One year in (immediately after lockdown finished) we were on a site on Hayling Island and nearly called an electrician out because we had no power and thought that the van was at fault. We tried connecting to various posts, tried a borrowed cable and even the on-site warden took a look, all to no avail.

Then another motorhomer came to look at our gas because we also had a problem with that (only due to our lack of knowledge) and he spotted that the post WAS NOT SWITCHED ON!
1725792617016.png

We never realised that the posts had switches on them, and prior to that, all others must have been left on! (Fat lot of good the warden was) 🤷‍♂️

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
In case you don’t already know, it is important that you always unwind ALL the cable from the reel before plugging it in as otherwise it can heat up enough to cause damage.
Even a heavy-duty unwound cable will heat up slightly - see photo

View attachment 946169

Your photo is a brilliant example of why cable reels must be unwound. 👍 👏

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021

Early this year, we discovered a three pin socket and a 12v socket we didn’t even know we had 🤷‍♂️

We're supposed to have 2 x 230v sockets but I've only ever seen one (in the kitchen). No doubt it'll be found one day!! :)

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
The main thing if you are running a cable from the house or garage and using any type of adaptor is to protect any connectors or adaptors from the weather

Nov 22, 2018
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey 68-2
Exp
Since 2019

One year in (immediately after lockdown finished) we were on a site on Hayling Island and nearly called an electrician out because we had no power and thought that the van was at fault. We tried connecting to various posts, tried a borrowed cable and even the on-site warden took a look, all to no avail.

Then another motorhomer came to look at our gas because we also had a problem with that (only due to our lack of knowledge) and he spotted that the post WAS NOT SWITCHED ON!
View attachment 946247
We never realised that the posts had switches on them, and prior to that, all others must have been left on! (Fat lot of good the warden was) 🤷‍♂️
On some posts you can’t physically plug in or unplug unless the switch on the post is turned off. This is the type of switch that turns 90 degrees, not to be confused with the RCD switch which has to be in the up position for power but doesn’t affect the plugging in or unplugging.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
The one we recently found was near the floor behind the front passenger seat.

Hmm, I suppose ours could be at the side of the fire extinguisher, which is behind the passenger seat. I've never really looked that close down there, just swished a duster around. I'll take a closer look. Thanks :)

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Hmm, I suppose ours could be at the side of the fire extinguisher, which is behind the passenger seat. I've never really looked that close down there, just swished a duster around. I'll take a closer look. Thanks :)
I bet it's low down somewhere!

Get your knee pads on and start shuffling!

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I bet it's low down somewhere!

Get your knee pads on and start shuffling!

Well, I had a good look around. Next to the fire extinguisher, a small spider's web. Under the table, which we have very low close to the floor, just a couple of dog hairs and a small receipt. Everywhere else.....nothing. It's very elusive!! 🔍🔍

OP
OP
W
Aug 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
CI Auto Roller
You can leave those red manifold taps on all the time unless going on a ferry. Your gas cylinders will also need to be turned on before they can be used. Many of us turn cylinders off before travelling.
Electric hook up - you need a special cable, usually 25 m, which, if one wasn’t supplied, which it probably should have been, you can buy from a caravan accessory shop or on line. Usually orange. Probably worth finding your nearest accessory shop for a mooch round. That lead will hook up from your van to a socket on a camp site. To connect at home you need one of two things. Either a camp site socket on the outside of your house wired into your domestic supply, or an adapter cable to go from the orange cable to an ordinary 13amp socket at home. Then you can turn your fridge onto the mains power setting.
Use mains electricity for fridge when on a hook up at home or on a site, gas if no hook up available, and 12 volt ONLY when driving. Some three way fridges have an auto selector which selects mains power if available, if not gas. With older fridges you need to make the selection your self..
Thank you for all this information..as you can see my pride and joy and first ever of owning one is a little old year 2000 and unfortunately the last and only owner who was in his eighties couldn't find the user guides for everything in habitation or for fiat ducato..I did buy from second hand mh dealer who was brilliant I might add..but you just can't remember everything...so am now trying to get use to her length /height etc when driving her..phew😄 toilet..is next..on how to use..am going to use Solibo...so in process of cleaning cassette over from chemicals...then need to learn how to fill etc it worksi fear trouble a head lol..anyway thank you again for yr helpView attachment 946102
Hello and welcome. If you happen to be from Kent area around Canterbury ish ,pop in to me. I have a spare 3 pin connector.
That's very kind of you..but way too far away...also with help from other members on this site they steered me in right direction and I've now purchased the item needed..thank you anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back