Lavage With Steps Or Other Tips For Cleaning The Roof

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pegaso - 740
Does anyone know whether there are any carwashes in France that have steps? When we got home from a recent trip and before putting the van back in storage I noticed that the roof is absolutely filthy. It's parked underneath trees so not really too surprising, but next time we're in France I'd very much like to find somewhere that enables us to clean the roof.

I've been nervous about climbing on top as I don't want to cause damage but if anyone has any suggestions as to what they do to clean their rooves I'm all ears?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Small portable self-assembly tower gives me access all round to the roof. Blow off the leaves, debris and worst of the bird sh1t with the pressure washer on no more than medium, and then diluted Jennychem Caravan Cleaner applied with a soft extending brush. Leave for 10 minutes and rinse off.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
burstner lyseo 590
Exp
March 2022
I manage to squeeze out the skylight and can get to most of the roof with a long handled brush.. the rest can be reached by propping a ladder on the sides

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pegaso - 740
Thanks guys. Does anyone attempt to get on the roof or is that just madness to even consider? I don't have anywhere at home to clean the van so will need to find somewhere where I can plug in a jet wash but it's the roof that I'm most bothered about. Don't want to leave it another winter without a very good clean and then some kind of wax to protect it.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I had no problem crawling around on the roof of our Adria when I was installing the extra solar panels and other gear, but can’t now precisely because of it! :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Birdy67 Yes there are infrequent car jet washes I have seen in France & Spain that have one side raised platform section. I have used them often in Spain and they work well but you really need to turn the van around and back/forth to get it all. I generally have to stand on the bottom bar of the handrail too but it works for me.

I believe they may be in shorter supply these days re H&S etc 😜

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
My solution is get someone else to do it once or twice a year.

I found a guy that runs a caravan/motorhome storage place near Rye/Dungeness will do the cleaning, including the roof.
Costs £50 and it takes him about 3-4 hours, and he does a good job.
Needs to be booked in advance.

There is a CL campsite 200m down the road, and the pub is half a mile, so I tend to overnight there so I can be at both wash and pub doors for opening time.

Post code TN29 0BT
Contact details on Google maps
(No website)

It's an hour from either you or me.
But a good place for a cycle around.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
I happily go on the roof of our 2007 autotrail. I cover the end of a ladder with a towel and lean it against the side. It certainly feels strong enough and I'm nearly 12st. But ymmv as to the strength of your roof. That's why I mentioned the year of manufacture. Newer vans may be less robust.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back