Kitchen tap suddenly stopped working. (1 Viewer)

Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
Hi all
We are venturing into Europe with the moho next weekend for the first time and whilst having a couple of days away this week, as the title suggests, the kitchen mixer tap stopped working.
All bathroom taps are working fine and I've given the tap filter a clean but it's made no difference. The lever doesn't feel to have any resistance when lifted.
We are not technical minded people but don't mind trying the simple stuff. Does anyone have any basic things we can try before I get a habitation person out to hopefully fix the problem before we go to spain next weekend? (We will be going away with or without it working.)
I've attached some pics to help identify the tap.

20240427_183055.jpg

20240427_183011.jpg

20240427_174228.jpg

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Cartridge I'd suspect. Perhaps the top of the cartridge has snapped. Quite often a really cheap replacement can be got for screwfix. There's probably a retaining grub screw on the stem to the rear. Then it's a matter of releasing the old cartridge. 🤞
Others might have alternative suggestions shortly.
Mike.

OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
Looks like a Reich tap, do you have a micro switched taps of a pressure switched system?
If microswitched it is probably the microswitch in the tap or the wiring to it that has failed.
I believe its a pressure switched system.
I managed to remove the screw inder the red/blue indicator but once removed there was nothing to see there. I tried to remove the tiny screws low down on the rear of the tap and the one at the rear of the lever but they were little star shaped heads and I couldn't remove them.
Looks like I will need to call someone out in the hope of getting it fixed before we go away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Looks like a Reich tap, do you have a micro switched taps of a pressure switched system?
If microswitched it is probably the microswitch in the tap or the wiring to it that has failed.
Couldn't see any wires in the photo from the underside.
Mike.

OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
Open the tap and leave open then open another tap.
Does water flow from the failed tap?
I tried that earlier today after reading it on another thread. It did trickle through for a short while so I turned the taps off and repeated the process but unfortunately it didn't work on the follow up attempt.

OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
Thanks for all responses.
It looks like it's going to be beyond my DIY capabilities especially with not having the correct tools.
Looks like I will have to get mobile habitation person out next week.

Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
Thanks for all responses.
It looks like it's going to be beyond my DIY capabilities especially with not having the correct tools.
Looks like I will have to get mobile habitation person out next week.

Whereabouts are you, Sue ? .... If it's in the North-East of Scotland, I would be happy to come round and help out Free of Charge.

Regards,
Bob

OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
Whereabouts are you, Sue ? .... If it's in the North-East of Scotland, I would be happy to come round and help out Free of Charge.

Regards,
Bob
Thank you so much for the offer. It is very kind of you but I am in greater manchester.

Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
If you want to take tap a part very simple.
There’s a small grub screw at back just below tap lever and another at very bottom rear of tap,
Then on top of tap remove the hot and cold symbols just pop them out with a very fine screwdriver or something similar , then your see a Philip screw that hold lever in place, remove this lever and cap ( inspect the lever this be the problem this is also where micro switch is located . Take photos so you know where everything goes as a reminder.
Then you should be able to slid tap from the body ,
But I think you should not need to remove body,
Try just try tightening Philip screw on lever .
There is a you tube video which shows you how to take apart .
All the best

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Could just be the filter blocked (in the spout where the water comes out if it has one)

Remove with suitable spanner/grips, clean and refit.

OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
If you want to take tap a part very simple.
There’s a small grub screw at back just below tap lever and another at very bottom rear of tap,
Then on top of tap remove the hot and cold symbols just pop them out with a very fine screwdriver or something similar , then your see a Philip screw that hold lever in place, remove this lever and cap ( inspect the lever this be the problem this is also where micro switch is located . Take photos so you know where everything goes as a reminder.
Then you should be able to slid tap from the body ,
But I think you should not need to remove body,
Try just try tightening Philip screw on lever .
There is a you tube video which shows you how to take apart .
All the best
I had managed to remove the lever cap yesterday and undo the screw it exposed but I didn't take the lever off (worried I'd do more damage). I didn't have small enough tools to remove the tiny screws at the rear of the lever and the base of the tap. I will have another go at this today as I think the tools I have for my glasses may fit the screws.
Hopefully I can make some progress with this today...thanks for the info (y)

OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
Could just be the filter blocked (in the spout where the water comes out if it has one)

Remove with suitable spanner/grips, clean and refit.
Hi
I tried that yesterday but it made no difference(n)

Reactions: M-J
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
It is a Reich Vector E5 aka Riech Vector S tap, pressurise same as our Kon-Tiki 599.
The screw at the base is a Torx 6 aka T6.
If the cartridge fails, it cracks and water usually spills round the lever rather than stops flowing, other symptoms
are available.
With water pump OFF disassembled and with the cartridge removed and pump briefly on, towels at the ready,
you'll see if water is getting to the tap.

With you imminent departure not a lot of help but this is/was the ONLY source I could find, now we're back in the UK going to order 2 but waiting for stock 30th April.

No cartridge to fit @ Screwfix, Toolstation, B&Q, etal but maybe with the above link you may get lucky, it was a year
ago I looked, double/triple check comparability before ordering. The dealer we bought the van from told us the item
to order from Screwfix, it was wrong. When questions he said "well it fits others", Muppet.

While you working in this check bathroom tap, you can see our issue(s) with the bathroom tap in Journal.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
I had managed to remove the lever cap yesterday and undo the screw it exposed but I didn't take the lever off (worried I'd do more damage). I didn't have small enough tools to remove the tiny screws at the rear of the lever and the base of the tap. I will have another go at this today as I think the tools I have for my glasses may fit the screws.
Hopefully I can make some progress with this today...thanks for the info (y)

This may help ?

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
This one LOOKS the same and is from CAMPING-ONLINE LTD.
Maybe call 1st though, caveat emptor.

I'm planning 2 carry 2 spare.

OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
This one LOOKS the same and is from CAMPING-ONLINE LTD.
Maybe call 1st though, caveat emptor.

I'm planning 2 carry 2 spare.
That's great. Thank you.
I an going to attempt to access/remove the cartridge again shortly. (I guess I need to establish if water is reaching the tap before I can go any further.)
Failing that, due to the limited time we have before starting our first euro trip, I will just bite the bullet and try and get someone to fit a new tap. I don't trust myself to fit a new tap. I'd rather have no tap than a leak.
On a positive note, fortunately the kitchen is opposite the bathroom and the shower hose is long enough to reach the sink so we could manage if necessary.
Thanks again for the info/links- very helpful.
Sue

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Can I just add that IF it is a microswitch problem other taps in the motorhome or the shower will still work and still turn the pump on.

Jul 19, 2018
South Angus, South of the Sidlaws.
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseSelect184
Exp
Since 2011
I believe its a pressure switched system.
I managed to remove the screw inder the red/blue indicator but once removed there was nothing to see there. I tried to remove the tiny screws low down on the rear of the tap and the one at the rear of the lever but they were little star shaped heads and I couldn't remove them.
Looks like I will need to call someone out in the hope of getting it fixed before we go away.
It looks the same as the tap we have in our van. We've had the cartridge fail twice. First time the tap was replaced under warranty by our habitation check guy. Second time, I found replacement cartridges (not expensive) and replaced it myself. It did, however, mean removing the tap - from memory it was straightforward but fiddly.

Hope you get it fixed. A real inconvenience doing without even with an alternative.

OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
Can I just add that IF it is a microswitch problem other taps in the motorhome or the shower will still work and still turn the pump on.
Hi
There don't seem to be any wires running to the tap underneath so presumably it's not got a microswitch.
Thanks

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
If you do get the cartridge removed, it's worth running a set of vernier callipers over it's dimensions, and checking these against the commonly available ones from major outlets which will be about a quarter of the price. I was sceptical when I recently had two go down in quick succession but the Screwfix ones were a perfect fit and available on the doorstep.
Mike.

OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
It looks the same as the tap we have in our van. We've had the cartridge fail twice. First time the tap was replaced under warranty by our habitation check guy. Second time, I found replacement cartridges (not expensive) and replaced it myself. It did, however, mean removing the tap - from memory it was straightforward but fiddly.

Hope you get it fixed. A real inconvenience doing without even with an alternative.
Hi
Attempted cartridge removal is as far as I'm going to go with this.
If it needs the tap removed then I'm going to have to get somebody in to do it if there's time.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Hi
There don't seem to be any wires running to the tap underneath so presumably it's not got a microswitch.
Thanks
Turn off the pump, lay the shower hose down in the tray, open all the taps. That will relieve the bulk of the pressure in the system. There should be a retaining screw for the cartridge, and some sort of nut [ normally]. Photograph at every step to aid reassembly.
Mike.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Hi
Attempted cartridge removal is as far as I'm going to go with this.
If it needs the tap removed then I'm going to have to get somebody in to do it if there's time.
Generally no tap removal is required, it can be done in situ.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Have you checked that the little mesh sprinkler at the end of the tap isn't blocked. They unscrew but you need to protect them with some tape to avoid scratching the chrome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back