Keeping the heating on over winter?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
Since 2002
We’ve just got back from a few days away in the van and while the weather hasn’t yet turned properly cold I was thinking through the steps I need to take for when it does.
Our van is used every couple of weeks over winter and while parked up is at home with access to hook-up. I found myself wondering today whether it made any sense to leave the Truma heating on very low (maybe 5 degrees) to keep things from freezing and, hopefully reduce condensation.
It maybe a completely crazy idea so I would appreciate your thoughts?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
I am sure you will get some funsters saying yes, it is a crazy idea.

But, I think not and our heating is always on over the winter months. and has been for decades.

No. leaving the heating on does not cause damp. Just the opposite. Our motorhome is always warm and dry, ready for use.

Upvote 0

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
We’ve just got back from a few days away in the van and while the weather hasn’t yet turned properly cold I was thinking through the steps I need to take for when it does.
Our van is used every couple of weeks over winter and while parked up is at home with access to hook-up. I found myself wondering today whether it made any sense to leave the Truma heating on very low (maybe 5 degrees) to keep things from freezing and, hopefully reduce condensation.
What age is your van and was it built winterised

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
It needs aired not heat. Heating causes condensation which if not dried daily will do more harm than good .

It may save the draining down etc but no van is immune from condensation

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
On our last van we did this for about 8 years out of the 10 we owned it.
Only needed a repair to the control board that I did myself for £1.50 and a water pump that was £116 (Alde wet system) and only stopped doing it due to the high electric prices.
Lovely to have it warm ready to go though

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It needs aired not heat. Heating causes condensation which if not dried daily will do more harm than good .

It may save the draining down etc but no van is immune from condensation
Agreed (y) but 5 degrees as mentioned is hardly tropical :unsure: OK might be for a Scot but not me :LOL:

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
If your going to live in the van it's a good idea. If it's just parked up it's not necessary , winterise the van then go out and open the doors and sky lights whenever it's dry.
Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
Heating only highlights condensation if the 'van is already damp inside.

In which case , the answer is to cure the cause of the damp.

Contrary to the popular myth, heat does not create moisture.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I am sure you will get some funsters saying yes, it is a crazy idea.

But, I think not and our heating is always on over the winter months. and has been for decades.

No. leaving the heating on does not cause damp. Just the opposite. Our motorhome is always warm and dry, ready for use.
Condensation only forms where heat meets cold. A van that is the same temperature inside as outside will stay dry when uninhabited unless there is a leak. Truma will tell you that their products are not designed for regular use. Also the electric elements are prone to failure in normal use.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Heating only causes condensation if the heated air comes into contact with cold surfaces. If the van is permantly kept above the condensation temperature point then there are no cold surfaces for it to condense on.

I have been a fulltimer for 15 years and keep the heating on all the time during the winter. The only place I have ever seen condensation is in the cab area. I keep that partitioned off from the hab area and I never saw any at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
A lot depends on your van. Our old autosleeper with the gel roof on top of the T4 van never suffered from condensation whereas our current Ducato with poor insulation, every morning even now has the mirrors inside running but not the windows.
I am talking about when parked up.
I think the metal van heats up inside in the sun and then the temperature drops.
So my solution, that works for my van, is to leave a small fan heater on frost setting but that means using EHU. I wouldn’t want to leave the Truma on.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
Rather than use the van heating system I'd get a simple electric oil filled domestic radiator and set it for 5c or whatever
The Truma heating system is built into the fabic of the van and as such will keep all the water pipes,etc and everything else in there at the right temperature.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
Rather than use the van heating system I'd get a simple electric oil filled domestic radiator and set it for 5c or whatever
Why?

I thought the alde heating systems (at least) had a set back you could change manually to come on when the temperature hits the low temp specified.

Surely this would do a better job at protecting the vulnerable bits than having an oil fired rad running in the body of the mh?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back