Kayak adventures with the motorhome (and scooter) (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Anyone else take a boat of any description with them?

For years I always carried something inflatable to get out on the water on being a bit of a boaty type all my life. We tried all sorts over the past 16 years. Starting off with a Quicksilver dinghy and 8hp outboard when we first got our van 16 years ago but that quickly got sold as it was all too heavy and awkward. For years I carried a blow up cheap dinghy but they kept bursting and were a pain to blow up. For the past eight years or so Ive had a Sevylor Maddison Kayak which has been fantastic. A bit battered now but its been used a fair bit from the Scottish Islands to the Med.

Takes a bit of planning for me as my Arthritis in my knees is now pretty severe so I need to get it close to the water to both blow up and launch so usually at high tide if near the sea. The secret weapon for this is the Honda Scooter! It all packs up and goes on the back.

Had a great couple of days paddling around Salcombe and Hope Cove but a bit too windy and choppy out of the bays. Hoping to do some of the quieter creeks in the area later in the week or probably next week as Im suffering this morning. :D

Anyone else?

Few pics.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I’ve always got a Zodiac on board the Motorhome. It’s 2.5m one, so not big and I mainly use it on large French lakes and rivers for fishing. Small Minn Kota electric outboard and 100Ah lithium completes the setup. TBH, I row it far more than using the motor.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have inflatable kayaks and bought electric motors for them just before lock down so the motors have never been used. Bad timing or what? I had a bad time with covid and am now a wheelchair user. We no longer have a motorhome so haven't been paddling for quite a while now.

Lots of happy memories of exploring lakes and estuaries with the kayaks and when I get answers and treatment for my issues we will try to get out again.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I carry a gumotex swift and use it wherever I can.

This was Porthore on the llyn peninsula in May this year

2018_0101_002514_002.JPG

I thought about upgrading to a drop stitch or hard shell kayak over lockdown but prices went crazy and availability vanished so stuck with the gumotex.
It's a great kayak, just rather prone to being caught by the wind.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This is our Gumotex Palava on Wee Cumbrae off Millport Cumbrae on a Motorhome Fun rally,

P1100755.jpeg

The problem I find is actually getting close enough to the water, we got it use in the Czech republic as we were on a campsite by the lake for a week.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
One year we were at a campsite at the opposite end of Llyn Tegid (Bala Lake) to Bala town after some serious flooding. Ingress was simple as part of the site was under water and egress at Bala even easier as the car park was flooded.

Often said we would go back and stay on the south side of the lake but never have :(

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Inflatables and wind...yep...done that...when I fish near home (fish not catch) I like to keep a focal point..a point of reference...
On one occasion whilst struggling with large Mediterranean species (of sea weed) not fish....I hadn't noticed I'd drifted quite a way off shore...I could see land, but not sure it was Europe or North Africa....(Immense exaggeration) what I could see was an island...I made for it and paddled around it, although it felt like circling Majorca, it turned out to be a minor feature just off the coastline I started off from....The lessons learnt for this incredible venture is beware of the wind in these inflatables....
I once got approached by the Guardia Civil in their boat...they came to have a closer look at me, perhaps expecting a person with a slightly different skin colour...not silly ex-pat trying to catch his dinner..

Last edited:
OP
OP
barryd
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Great to see a few other like minded boaties! :D

I dont know if this ever got posted on here before (probably not as Ive been away from the forum for yonks) but a fair few years ago I put together a guide for motorhoming for boaters close to water. Mainly France. might be useful for some of you.

Getting close to the water for launching is a real PIA if you are not so mobile. Most of these were fairly easy and all of them include overnighting with your van. Not campsites.

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
We're more old fashioned, an open hard plastic canadian canoe carried on top of our Globecar PVC. Managed a couple of trips to Scotand with it this year, around Loch Sween and Loch Sunart. We've actually just changed the canoe for a 2nd hand royalex Old Town Penobscot that should track better in crosswinds than the previous flat bottomed one. We just need to find time to use it now!

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Great to see a few other like minded boaties! :D

I dont know if this ever got posted on here before (probably not as Ive been away from the forum for yonks) but a fair few years ago I put together a guide for motorhoming for boaters close to water. Mainly France. might be useful for some of you.

Getting close to the water for launching is a real PIA if you are not so mobile. Most of these were fairly easy and all of them include overnighting with your van. Not campsites.

Thanks for this… will have a good peruse later. I’ve fished Lac du Der in the past and some of its smaller sister lakes in the area. ✔️

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We carry a Sea Eagle Razorlite 2 seater with us in the van. It’s a great streamlined boat using drop stitch technology and tracks really well if the removable skeg is in place.
Ours are a Sea Eagle and a Blue Wave. Both have drop stitch construction and when correctly inflated handle like rigid kayaks. I did have a Sevylor (and some rigid sit-ons including a Ride) and the Sea Eagle is superior to the Sevylor by yards. The Ride was the best kayak I ever had but got too heavy to lift around.

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Etrusco T 7.3 SCF
Exp
Just this week bought a Sandbanks 2-person inflatable Kayak! Blew it up when it was delivered and was very impressed with build quality and how simple it was to inflate. It comes with a big bag that everything fits into which also has backpack straps in case you need to lug it down to the water. Looking forward to giving it a proper trial later this month!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My fitness fanatic elder son & DIL took their inflatable kayak and their first tandem out to New Zealand for 2 months in a hired m/home.
A fortnight ago they received his own-designed two-piece demountable titanium tandem so that it fits them 100% ergonomically and so that they can take it with the frame in two parts on their m/home. No external cables or brake pipes as all hidden inside the frame, Derailleur gear changing is by BlueTooth.
They left today to the Derbyshire Dales to do off-road trials and make a promo video for the manufacturer of an electric assist unit. When he enquired about it the U.K. manufacturer (SKARPER) said one has never previously been fitted to a tandem so have loaned them one to evaluate. It takes only seconds to remove it.
They are off to NZ again in December for 3 months and he fancies having the e-Assist as he says that last time they were there the outback was a bit hilly.

Tandem.JPG

Tandem b.JPG

Tandem c.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2025
Exp
Since 2007
Ours are a Sea Eagle and a Blue Wave. Both have drop stitch construction and when correctly inflated handle like rigid kayaks. I did have a Sevylor (and some rigid sit-ons including a Ride) and the Sea Eagle is superior to the Sevylor by yards. The Ride was the best kayak I ever had but got too heavy to lift around.
Yes, 10 psi and solid as a rock. You could stand up in it without deformation. 👍

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I've done a bit of kayaking back in my youth but not since owning a motorhome. I'm certainly tempted by one of the proper 'blow up' ones as have tried a couple of the more basic inflatables and found them rubbish to actually paddle any distance. Maybe one day when we have a bit more spare time to fill. Currently the mountain biking keeps us busy and takes up all the garage space.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Yep, us too. Our M/H choice was determined by a garage door big enough to roll our Honda Wave scooter in through. Fold flat mirrors made it even easier. We normally travel with Gumotex Twist 2. A, K2 two person self bailing white water class 4, A SafariXL 330 Solo. And my hardshell Dagger Kingpin play boat, that works exceedingly well for sea surfing. Had to uplate the van to 4090kg for all the toys, but some French river trips made it all worthwhile, and the Honda is our shuttle vehicle.
Mike.

OP
OP
barryd
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Yep, us too. Our M/H choice was determined by a garage door big enough to roll our Honda Wave scooter in through. Fold flat mirrors made it even easier. We normally travel with Gumotex Twist 2. A, K2 two person self bailing white water class 4, A SafariXL 330 Solo. And my hardshell Dagger Kingpin play boat, that works exceedingly well for sea surfing. Had to uplate the van to 4090kg for all the toys, but some French river trips made it all worthwhile, and the Honda is our shuttle vehicle.
Mike.

We do the shuttle thing. :D Did it yesterday into Salcombe. Drop Mrs D off, go back for the Kayak on the scooter.

Funny story which I discovered again this morning from eight years ago on MH Facts (can I say that on here? :D )

A couple of us bought the Sevylor Maddison back in 2016 and after a first outing on mine I was so impressed I decided to go surfing with it in a heavy swell and huge waves off Saltburn in the North East, a known surfer hot spot. I read that you open the drain plug for white water so off I went. The waves were humongous and I had a couple of good runs before getting completely battered overturned and full of water. The drain plug of course never worked as it was below the water line and I just sat there like a drowned rat. If the boat hadn't had air in it, it would have sunk. :D That was when the fun began. I couldn't get the water out or turn it over it was so heavy. By the time I did and dragged it up the sand the boat was all out of shape and a right mess.

I emailed Sevylor and told them the entire story mainly because it clearly wasnt fit for those sort of conditions but to my amazement they offered to replace it!

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
We do the shuttle thing. :D Did it yesterday into Salcombe. Drop Mrs D off, go back for the Kayak on the scooter.

Funny story which I discovered again this morning from eight years ago on MH Facts (can I say that on here? :D )

A couple of us bought the Sevylor Maddison back in 2016 and after a first outing on mine I was so impressed I decided to go surfing with it in a heavy swell and huge waves off Saltburn in the North East, a known surfer hot spot. I read that you open the drain plug for white water so off I went. The waves were humongous and I had a couple of good runs before getting completely battered overturned and full of water. The drain plug of course never worked as it was below the water line and I just sat there like a drowned rat. If the boat hadn't had air in it, it would have sunk. :D That was when the fun began. I couldn't get the water out or turn it over it was so heavy. By the time I did and dragged it up the sand the boat was all out of shape and a right mess.

I emailed Sevylor and told them the entire story mainly because it clearly wasnt fit for those sort of conditions but to my amazement they offered to replace it!
I used our Twist 2 in the outrageous manner, but it has held together throughout the irregular use. I glued some restraint patches in to secure leg straps so as it could be rolled when full up with water. You can't empty it entirely, but enough to carry on playing in the surf.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I carry a gumotex swift and use it wherever I can.

This was Porthore on the llyn peninsula in May this year

View attachment 932160

I thought about upgrading to a drop stitch or hard shell kayak over lockdown but prices went crazy and availability vanished so stuck with the gumotex.
It's a great kayak, just rather prone to being caught by the wind.
Isn't that the Twist, but in the old Nitrilon light material? We had a double in the same format, they weighed in a 9kg.
Mike.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010

Blimey,I was expecting you to be in Coventry mentioning the other MHF :rofl: :rofl:

Have they all got over the ‘B’ word yet ?

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I have been thinking about getting a kayak, which Sea Eagle would you guys recommend?

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
We fancy giving it a go,but don't want to spend to much in case it's not for us. Sea Eagle are in our price range👍
Sea Eagle are good,(I had the 380x) but they are PVC material that breaks down quicker than Nitrilon, a natural rubber based material that Gumotex are hand made from. Price wise quite similar. Sea Eagles are made in China. Gumotex are made in the Czech Republic.
Mike.

Aug 26, 2020
Fife, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
I've had a Gumotex Solar 410 for years. Can be used as a solo or tandem. Not the smallest or lightest when packed away but is very tough and great fun to paddle. I have considered selling and upgrading but it does the job for now.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
We have the Z pro tango. It has up to 3 seats so can be used solo tandem or triple ( or 2 adults and the dog). I'm wary about using it on the sea as it's not great in wind but was brilliant in Norway on sheltered Fjord's and lakes. A 2 wheel trolley works well for taking it to the water .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back