Just recieved the latest Caravan and Motorhome Club magazine (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
i accept there are solo travellers, but they are a tiny percentage, come on - lets be honest sites that charge per person are just having a laugh, ripping your wallet open and handing you back an empty wallet and laughing in your face , you take up no more space, use no more water or consume no more electricity. Its a good old fashioned gaslighting con.
I think you are off here, 2 people naturally use more water, power and create more rubbish than a single person. 4 showers a day not 2, power to heat that water, more waste water to pay for, more power to cook twice as much food and more trash to pay to be taken away.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I think you are off here, 2 people naturally use more water, power and create more rubbish than a single person. 4 showers a day not 2, power to heat that water, more waste water to pay for, more power to cook twice as much food and more trash to pay to be taken away.
It’s not how they charge, it is the amount they charge.

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
shall we agree to say its somewhere in the middle ? its on record that a MH EHU uses about a 1.00 a day of electricity, a shower will cost maybe 20p if electric and less if its gas or oil powered, an oven uses only a fraction more to cook for 2 and the gas consumed is mine. I will accept we consume twice as much diet coke and we draw water, but that doesnt amount to the extra they charge every day for a second person. but, i take your point and will suggest to the wife she stays at home next time. Of course nobody charges by the person in europe, so rightly or wrongly another black mark to uk sites.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
shall we agree to say its somewhere in the middle ? its on record that a MH EHU uses about a 1.00 a day of electricity, a shower will cost maybe 20p if electric and less if its gas or oil powered, an oven uses only a fraction more to cook for 2 and the gas consumed is mine. I will accept we consume twice as much diet coke and we draw water, but that doesnt amount to the extra they charge every day for a second person. but, i take your point and will suggest to the wife she stays at home next time. Of course nobody charges by the person in europe, so rightly or wrongly another black mark to uk sites.
Get yourself a smart plug that measures electricity flow and plug your motorhome in for a few days and run fridge and hot water etc off it and see how much you use, especially if you have a tower fridge, much more than 1 whatever (unit or £).

Europe they generally charge for a pitch which includes 2 people, any more and you pay extra so that's unfair on solos but fine for couples, they also charge extra for any decent electric you want and fiver a day for a dog so it's all horses for courses.

Maybe try and open a camp site yourself and make the numbers stack up, I think you'll be surprised ask Jim Or eddie

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021
Beverley, UK
Funster No
MH
Florium magister74ml
Exp
Been caravanner for over thirty years,now going to have motorhome very soon.
i agree gelly, i never did either, you might remember me saying it was a sad day when deposits were taken, not because i resent it, but because it marked the end of the gentleman " we trust you " concept but as always rules are made because of the few not the many. as you say its no compensation, but you look at the worst case scenario, that nobody replaces your empty pitch, i dont recall anybody every phoning up and saying its ok - someone is now on your pitch. You dont go into business with both eyes closed as a rule and all this is taken as part of the risk of a campsite. Farmers have been drowned out this year i doubt if supermarkets will compensate and pay more for the low yeald this year - but they will CHARGE more you can be sure. Whatever the situation uk sites are over priced and that we all resent, like the trains and buses, if they were cheaper they would be used. France trains are cheap and reliable - spanish transport is cheap and excellent - what is wrong with this country ??
It’s expensive and unreliable

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
My brother sent me this picture this morning. Rosedale Abbey CAMC site. Middle of August, high season, beautiful weather but look how empty it is.

IMG_3369.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back