Just recieved the latest Caravan and Motorhome Club magazine (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
I guess lone travellers may have a different view!
Indeed they do!

As a solo traveller, I pay for me, my dog and get a concession for 60+ with C&CC. I also choose not to have EHU as I don't need it with my recent Lithium upgrade. I have no issue with paying a fair price for what I use, but take issue with paying for 2 people and EHU whether I need it or not, hence the reason I binned CAMC after 3 years, as it simply did not offer that flexibility in its pricing structure. Since joining C&CC earlier this year, I have paid no more than £20 per night at the sites I have used. I even found an independent, private site near Looe where I had full facilities (showers/toilets etc) at £8 per night.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Why have I got all my facilities on board and solar panel then pay ridiculous prices on site for stuff I dont need but still have to pay for them , we dont get choices even CLs are getting overpriced you cant even say you dont want electric and get it cheaper its all one price so tuff.Gone are the simple days of sitting in a nice field with peace and quiet and wildlife with just waste and fresh water.
Guess there's nothing stopping you just sitting in a field as long as you get the farmer's permission. Most will probably have fresh and hedges for water

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Indeed they do!

As a solo traveller, I pay for me, my dog and get a concession for 60+ with C&CC. I also choose not to have EHU as I don't need it with my recent Lithium upgrade. I have no issue with paying a fair price for what I use, but take issue with paying for 2 people and EHU whether I need it or not, hence the reason I binned CAMC after 3 years, as it simply did not offer that flexibility in its pricing structure. Since joining C&CC earlier this year, I have paid no more than £20 per night at the sites I have used. I even found an independent, private site near Looe where I had full facilities (showers/toilets etc) at £8 per night.
C&MC charge per person so sole travellers are not impacted. They also offer a non-ehu structure at some sites
They are also trialling metered leccy and, from a reliable source will be being rolled out over next year

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Are UK sites over priced? Without a doubt there is the occasional one (we stayed down near Bradford-on-Avon in a field with a single composting toilet and no other facilities and paid what we would normally have paid for an all singing all dancing site - that was a rip-off) but generally they are what they are. Pricing, it seems, reflects demand in most instances and who would blame site owners for making money while they can - just one bad summer could be the difference between them being there or not.
In short, Yes!
Touring around the Yorkshire Dales typically, one C&MC site wanted £43.80/night (2 persons, no dog). We found an independent site for £26 inc EHU, showers. In Dent a lovely CL for £16 inc EHU. Average price we’ve paid around Lakes/Dales in 2 weeks has been £20-25’ish. Still enough to pay but stunning scenery and friendly folk. Having said that we’ll be off across channel again next year.
PS We’re only still members of C&MC to use one CL in Bristol cos our son lives there. 😬

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
C&MC charge per person so sole travellers are not impacted. They also offer a non-ehu structure at some sites
They are also trialling metered leccy and, from a reliable source will be being rolled out over next year
That must have changed this year then, as they charged for 2 adults during my 3 year membership with them

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Electricity roll out is some way off according to the DG in a recent video highlighted in the magazine. It is with VanLove Fest : link i think:
Taken at the CAMC Van Fest. DG says they are still trying to find an appropriate system that is easy to use.
He confirms that motorhome/campervans have now overtaken caravans, that one third of membership is families, and he believes the trend is to more self sufficient vans!!!!!

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
i came across a youtuber that completely explains the current glut and stuation we are all now in

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
That must have changed this year then, as they charged for 2 adults during my 3 year membership with them

I think they have only ever charged per person.
They certainly have charged "per person" since mum passed in 2007 and dad continued to caravan himself.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Electricity roll out is some way off according to the DG in a recent video highlighted in the magazine. It is with VanLove Fest : link i think:
Taken at the CAMC Van Fest. DG says they are still trying to find an appropriate system that is easy to use.
He confirms that motorhome/campervans have now overtaken caravans, that one third of membership is families, and he believes the trend is to more self sufficient vans!!!!!

I saw that a week or two ago and what I took from it was the current trial will grow but there is no confirmed timeline for national roll out as yet as they're working with their partner on the technology of the metered payment process.

For those not wanting to watch the whole thing it's around 16 minutes in.

From what we've heard the roll out will be started within the next year. Obviously, this will take significant time and money but it is coming.

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I stand corrected. Regardless, the CCC (imho) offers far better value for money, some of the CAMC prices are ridiculous.
Agreed, each to their own however we find the C&CC website virtually impossible to use and their requirement for "minimum nights" on some sites (I think they still require that) unacceptable.

May 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
Renault master lunar
I was on a CCC site last month and was talking to one of the workers and asked him if the site was busy. Is reply was no it’s peak season. I said to him surly you are busy in peak and he said no it’s far too expensive for most people. I guess the business model is all wrong with CCC.

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
so are you saying caravan and camping club is much cheaper ? do they still do the annoying thing where they tell you (and take you ) to your ALLOTTED plot ? instead of allowing you to choose your own spot ?

I was with the caravan and camping club a long time ago, but i resented the regimentation of allocated pitches, I know it was an implemented rule enforced by the club and so dont blame the camps staff for that.

Last edited:

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
so are you saying caravan and camping club is much cheaper ? do they still do the annoying thing where they tell you (and take you ) to your ALLOTTED plot ? instead of allowing you to choose your own spot ?

I was with the caravan and camping club a long time ago, but i resented the regimentation of allocated pitches, I know it was an implemented rule enforced by the club and so dont blame the camps staff for that.
We have only been members of the CCC a couple of years and only used a handful of their club sites. We have always been given some choice of pitch before being conducted to it. And always asked if the pitch was ok. So not the free choice of the CAMC but never felt had to have an allocated pitch.

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
Indeed they do!

CAMC charge per person

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
Thin magazine this month, however, anyone will tell you how difficult it is to maintain content for a motorhome magazine month in month out, others have tried and given up after a while, better things to do with their life, even here on motorhome fun. I get little value from the mag so wouldn't upset me if they ditched it, although it may just be there to deflect the moans away from other issues:giggle:

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
i do feel sorry for the clubs in a way, but i think pricing and mentality is stuck in the good old days of no competition and having a brother in law who drove himself mental and suffered both heart attacks and a stroke trying to run a C&CC with his hands tied behind his back of a 1/2 million investment its no joke i know.
Sad story but presumabely he didn't need to associate himself with a club? We've gone to many really good independents and it's not difficult to market yourself these days.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Thin magazine this month, however, anyone will tell you how difficult it is to maintain content for a motorhome magazine month in month out,
I gave up a couple of classic m/bike mags for the same reason. There's only so much to be written that's 'new' and so the same old themes/subjects get repeated (a bit like some forums).
I get little value from the mag so wouldn't upset me if they ditched it,
There's the facility on their website to opt out of receiving the mag which is what I did around ten years ago. Save the trees!

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Going back to the CAMC magazine been a bit thin last month I got mine just before we went to Whitby for 3 days but guess what we got another last week talk about wasting money ,might be looking to dump them next year but swmbo might differ we'll see.

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Just recieved the latest Caravan and Motorhome Club magazine, and its getting thinner and thinner, its more like a pamphlet now - maybe thin times ahead ? now only 5 quid deposit to book, Im not against the deposit idea, but in todays lifestyle is 21 days good enough for a refund, im sure many of us look at the weather forcast and say - ok next weekend, but 21 days notice is pointless isnt it ? My thought is most campsites are owner operated or franchised and i regard a 5 quid deposit as fair enough - if it goes wet and you dont go, im happy to donate 5 quid as compensation.
It also had to happen that the new and shiny motorhomers who all went to uk sites and filled them and then discovered europe, are turning their backs on uk sites based on cost and weather and going abroad OR have sold the motorhomes back to the dealers - and are now to be seen back in big queues at airports with kiss me quick hats on. which will also accelerate the motorhome glut and bubble bust.
I also think like many the bubbles has now burst and the Motorhome sales places are now refusing to buy motorhomes as they are awash with unsold motorhomes.
Of course the government (also new and shiny ) is busy inventing taxes so i wonder how long it will be before a new and exciting way of hitting us in the wallet before they drag us kicking and screaming out of the cabs ?
Already decided not to renew last month as we hadnt used the van as a resultm of Mrs KRO's health since collecting it last December - can always rejoin later - only joined really to access CL's. The magazine changed font to grey and smaller size last year and I struggled to read it - in fact I have a pile of 4 unopened ones on the shelf. Having not renewed, they still sent me the August mag and it just confirmed the decision was right. I did flick through the pages but there was simply nothing of interest and as someone suggested, its only produced to keep the advertisers advertising.

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
The clubs can be cheap compared with some private sites. Took the grandkids to Highlands End in Dorset for 2 nights a fortnight ago. We booked in February, had to pay £40 deposit immediately and the full balance (£52.30) 70 days before arrival!
Site was rammed when we got there, about 50:50 caravans:motorhomes. Nice site and location and the Kids enjoyed it, which is the main thing!

Oct 23, 2022
Middlesbrough, UK
Funster No
MH
SwiftKontiki Gr Prix
Exp
Since 2002
Binned the C&MC club 18 months ago, no value to us at all. I do however miss a couple of sites that were really good, but no longer available to us Nomads, but it pushed us to find some real gems around the country that more than made up for us NOT paying some administrator's salary, who to me just sat there making rules to make us angry.
We are now Chilled, Happy, and living a freedom lifestyle, add to that we have been away seven times this year so far, all venues 14 days or more, with another batch starting mid August until Mels knee op in November.
you can still use the sites, you just pay an extra premium to do so

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
I guess lone travellers may have a different view!
i accept there are solo travellers, but they are a tiny percentage, come on - lets be honest sites that charge per person are just having a laugh, ripping your wallet open and handing you back an empty wallet and laughing in your face , you take up no more space, use no more water or consume no more electricity. Its a good old fashioned gaslighting con.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back