Jury service advice.... (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Charlie123

Charlie123

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi @Charlie
Something on TV tonight about jury service reminded me of you. Have you managed to contact the courts about your situation?

I phoned the number sent with the forms.. They just told me I had to fill in those forms explaining why I shoulder excused so I have.

In addition to this since I last posted I havre to have an umbilical hernia operation at the end of this month so attending the jury mid February would not be possible..

So either way I have my hands full......

I will let you know what happens.

Thank you for asking .

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I phoned the number sent with the forms.. They just told me I had to fill in those forms explaining why I shoulder excused so I have.

In addition to this since I last posted I havre to have an umbilical hernia operation at the end of this month so attending the jury mid February would not be possible..

So either way I have my hands full......

I will let you know what happens.

Thank you for asking .
That’s good that you have sent the forms off.
Best wishes for your operation. Will you be able to arrange help for your wife?

OP
OP
Charlie123

Charlie123

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
That’s good that you have sent the forms off.
Best wishes for your operation. Will you be able to arrange help for your wife?

I’m trying to find help. But it’s not easy as we live way out in the sticks. I will just have to manage.. I’m sure we will be fine.
Thank you.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
May I suggest @Charlie that you visit the local primary school just before chuck out time. There you might find ladies looking for a few hours work around the kiddywinks, it's our favorite source. I do a card type flyer thingy, that I simply hand out, it usual brings some response given a reasonable hourly rate. For anyone decent the going rate is £18/hr cash for showering type help and £14/hr for domestic work.

Last edited:

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
May I suggest @Charlie that you visit the local primary school just before chuck out time. There you might find ladies looking for a few hours work around the kiddywinks, it's our favorite source. I do a card type flyer thingy, that I simply hand out, it usual brings some response given a reasonable hourly rate. For anyone decent the going rate is £18/hr for showering type help and £14/hr for domestic work.
More likely to get arrested :Eeek:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
May I suggest @Charlie that you visit the local primary school just before chuck out time. There you might find ladies looking for a few hours work around the kiddywinks, it's our favorite source. I do a card type flyer thingy, that I simply hand out, it usual brings some response given a reasonable hourly rate. For anyone decent the going rate is £18/hr cash for showering type help and £14/hr for domestic work.
And he is going to get £64 a day for jury service to pay for all this. Plus pay hisfares etc to court.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
I have been called up twice
First time did two days before easter break then told not to come back. Second time boss sent a letter and i was excused .

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
And he is going to get £64 a day for jury service to pay for all this. Plus pay hisfares etc to court.

Charlie asked the question and said he was trying to find help, so I tried to provide a solution. You don’t have to like it, but I hope to him it was of some value.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
I was only pointing out the budget

Regretfully, budgets tend to fly out of the window when caring for the disabled. Quality care costs and it takes time to form an empathy with someone who helps to wash your ar*se. Management is very lucky that her shower carer lady person, who was recruited in the manner I described, as been with her now for 11 years.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
if i am not mistaken, i believe one of @Charlie 's gripes in post #70 was that, as he is retired, he was not entitled to any 'compensation' apart from travelling expenses, whereas if he were "employed" or on benefits, those jury members would continue to get paid, or if self employed, would recieve £64.

but he would still recieve his pension (essentially a 'deferred' wage) during the days of Jury Service (i.e .it wouldn't be "docked")

when I was called a couple of years ago, my employer (a Local Government Authority) deducted the daily Court allowance from my salary and I recieved the satutory amount from the Court by cheque. The net result was i was neither better or worse off financially. albeit i had a pile of work to return to.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
as he is retired, he was not entitled to any 'compensation' apart from travelling expenses

He is not a pensioner nor receives any income from the state. He is just retired.Therefore they class people like that as not entitled to anything.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
He is not a pensioner nor receives any income from the state. He is just retired.Therefore they class people like that as not entitled to anything.
I never said he was a 'pensioner' as in recieving a state pension, mearly that he was retired. I believe the OP stated he 'retired early, and in this case, whilst not in receipt of a state pension, it is likely the OP would be in receipt of a private pension income - which is essentially a deferred salary. the receipt of any income from the state is irrelevant.
the point I was making is the OP or his employer (which is not relevant as he is retired) wouldn't suffer a financial loss by serving on a jury, therefore wouldn't be entitled to recieve an compensation.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
i did it a few years ago, fantastic experience. a woman had stabbed her husband to death, he was a drunk who frequency abused her. the trial lasted two weeks, we found her not guilty of murder but guilty of the lesser charge of manslaughter... the judge gave her two years probation
the whole process was fascinating, listening to the actual case and then receiving direction from the judge, brilliant, i would love to do it again.... so long as i could have a juicy case :):)and not some idiot standing in a shop door way with a 12 inch screwdriver, protesting that he needed it to pick the food out of his teeth

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
A few years ago I was found guilty of an offence that I was completely innocent of.
About 4 years later I was asked to do jury service.
I replied that I did not believe in British justice. I received a letter back thanking me and telling me I would not be asked again. That was 20 odd years ago and I have never been asked again.

OP
OP
Charlie123

Charlie123

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
if i am not mistaken, i believe one of @Charlie 's gripes in post #70 was that, as he is retired, he was not entitled to any 'compensation' apart from travelling expenses, whereas if he were "employed" or on benefits, those jury members would continue to get paid, or if self employed, would recieve £64.

but he would still recieve his pension (essentially a 'deferred' wage) during the days of Jury Service (i.e .it wouldn't be "docked")

when I was called a couple of years ago, my employer (a Local Government Authority) deducted the daily Court allowance from my salary and I recieved the satutory amount from the Court by cheque. The net result was i was neither better or worse off financially. albeit i had a pile of work to return to.

Correct. As an early retired person I get nothing for doing jury service. I’m to young to get the state pension as well so that does not apply.

If I were employed I would get £64/per day. If I were self employed I would need to provide evidence of earnings to get the £64/per day. Someone in my position gets 5 pound something a day travelling. I do believe you can ask for more but the arsing aroung and form filling would I bet be more trouble that it’s worth.

This thread and my questions were never the focus of this thread though.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
If I were employed I would get £64/per day.
I suspect that if you were in employment, your employer would dock your wages £64/day and require you to claim the £64 court payment .... if your employer actually pays you during your court time - it is not mandatory for the employer to pay you in court absence AFAIK (although many do).
so you would be no better off than going to work.

FWIW, someone earning around the national average wage (£26k pa) clearing £20k pa ( post tax/ Ni) etc earns £1,667/ month or £83 per day & at clearing £40K pa earns £3,333 / month or £167/day... so unless the employer picks up the shortfall, they are in loss for Jury service

OP
OP
Charlie123

Charlie123

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I suspect that if you were in employment, your employer would dock your wages £64/day and require you to claim the £64 court payment .... if your employer actually pays you during your court time - it is not mandatory for the employer to pay you in court absence AFAIK (although many do).
so you would be no better off than going to work.

FWIW, someone earning around the national average wage (£26k pa) clearing £20k pa ( post tax/ Ni) etc earns £1,667/ month or £83 per day & at clearing £40K pa earns £3,333 / month or £167/day... so unless the employer picks up the shortfall, they are in loss for Jury service

I think your employer pays you as normal then claims the money from the courts ?? Not to sure as I’ve not looked that closely.

Returning to the self employed well they would only be entitled to the £64 per day. Building tradepersons {my old trade} currently get between 150 to 200 per day so they would be at quite a loss.

The net effect for I think most people is it must cost them... Certainly it would cost the self employed quite a bit of money.

Not a great system is it ?

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I was required by my employer (a local authority) to claim the allowance from the court and submit stamped paperwork & receipt to my payroll dept.
I received a cheque from the court within 7 days and my following month's salary was reduced by the amount the court paid me direct,
I don't disagree it is not great, but it is what it is.

OP
OP
Charlie123

Charlie123

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I was required by my employer (a local authority) to claim the allowance from the court and submit stamped paperwork & receipt to my payroll dept.
I received a cheque from the court within 7 days and my following month's salary was reduced by the amount the court paid me direct,
I don't disagree it is not great, but it is what it is.

Maybe I worded badly above ? I think the employed loose little or more likely nothing.

My wife many tears ago when she was fit and well did jury service. Her employer just paid her wages as normal and I believe claimed what they could from the court system.

If I had done Jury service back then I would have lost out badly. I was self employed for nigh on 40 years and earnt very good money back then. The court maximum of £64 per day would have been very short. So the juror who has done nothing wrong looses out.

Here’s a thought....
I wonder how a self employed barrister would feel if he or she got called up ???? They earn a kings ransome after all....

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If you’re on jury service if the others all vote innocent can you vote guilty for the hell of it or do they ban you or something.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Here’s a thought....
I wonder how a self employed barrister would feel if he or she got called up ???? They earn a kings ransome after all....
they are ineligible . here is the paper on exceptions in Scotland , England will be different, but I suspect similar
http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/docs/d...rs/guidetojuryserviceeligibility.pdf?sfvrsn=8
Screenshot 2019-01-09 at 20.16.53.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back