Juicy Brucie - cable to use EV charging points as EHU for motorhomes?

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Keep seeing this mentioned on social media https://www.brucelauderdale.com/juicybrucie & wondered if anyone on here has one & what different applications do you use it for, how safe it is to use & what our techie experts on here think of it? With the number of EV charging points constantly increasing perhaps this could be a clever accessory for winter touring motorhomers but not cheap at £195!

1729196488239.png
1729196475773.png

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I see that it could provide some sort of emergency charge via a public charger. Where of course you can't stay for long. But if the charger needs some kind of pairing with the EV's ECU that might be an obstacle. There may be more to this than meets the eye.

One wonders which campsites would allow that sort cable to be used the other way round. My understanding is that CAMC rules ban direct charging from EHU bollards. You are allowed to charge only using a granny cable from a 230v socket within your MH or caravan. The Club really intends that method to be used for charging e-bike batteries etc. Members with EVs should find a public charger elsewhere. One or two Club sites are trialling EV chargers that I expect are near the Reception / visitors car park / late arrivals areas not on actual pitches. Early days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Looking at the video below can see that having a 10m cable it should be possible to park next to, but not in, EV charging spaces & still connect but regardless usage could be contentious:

hja

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Darren the urban motorhomer did a video on this a while ago. He sometimes parks up in supermarket car parks where you can legitimately stop overnight for a small fee. He overnighted in a Tesco I think and plugged into the charging bollard and charged his batteries. Because it was north time not parking in the bay didn’t matter. He used the juicy brucie cable.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This is rather like expecting a camp site to have a diesel pump at reception in case you arrive low on fuel

EV users will mostly know where to charge before arrival or on departure, this kind of reporting seems typical of the scare mongering by the ill informed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
If it was £50, it'd be useful at home to plug into a home EV point as I don't have a 3 pin on the front of the house. I'm not sure it'll be that useful on the move though.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's a new accessory for Lenny HB to buy seeing as he has a ponchant for hooking up now! 😄

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back