Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Finally a sunny day! Even though, stuffed with suckling pig, we’d slept in, we decided Évora deserved more time. It was a good decision - bathed in sunshine, cafés setting up outside tables, it was a different town.

IMG_0741.jpeg

First up a viewing of the surprising complete Roman Temple.

IMG_0729.jpeg

All you can do is gaze at the outsides though, but as I circumnavigated it, I found a church, its banner claiming it to be the most beautiful in Portugal.

The Church of São João Evangelista was definitely worth the price of admission. The insides were almost entirely covered with blue and white Portuguese tiles.

IMG_0733.jpeg

There were regular groupings making larger tile artworks.

IMG_0735.jpeg

An 18C unveiling of a concrete elephant

We walked back down the narrow streets, and found the lady souvenir shop of my dreams. I do like a higher quality of tat. Among other things, I got this necklace.

IMG_0744.jpeg

Wet motorhome table model’s own

Rog had wanted a second breakfast of a pastel de nata, but this most important of purchases was subject to analysis paralysis, or dithering as I call it, and once we’d realised we couldn’t check the van’s internal temperature (comms fail), it had to be abandoned.

IMG_0742.jpeg

The shop above failed as it had ceramic model pastels de nata in the window. Male logic, don’t you love it.

Back at Denby temperatures were OK but rising, so we packed up and headed south, stopping for lunch, or breakfast as I call it, at a rather late 1pm.

IMG_0233.jpeg

Breakfast

We were aiming for Camping Serra da Bica, a small place in the middle of nowhere with just 12 pitches. The owner looked at me as if I were demanding front row seats at the Oasis reunion, rather than just a place for the night. “Didn’t you book? Well, we’re full.”

A hurried replan and a confirmatory phone call later, we were heading back 25 minutes north to Camping Monte de Rocha. This turned out to be a good option. It was a bit bleak and empty, with just two other vans on a space that takes 500, apparently.

IMG_0235.jpeg

But it was quiet and the showers were good, and best of all, it was a short walk down to the reservoir, which made Flynn’s doggy day.

IMG_0747.jpeg

He was so happy to find the lake, he had to rush back to tell us how brilliant it was.

IMG_0240.jpeg

Look! Human! Big water!

After cleaning everything, van, people, dog (in lake), we had a sundowner. All we could hear was the sound of cicadas, a Proustian memory of childhood holidays in the South of France. Instantly it feels like summer, despite November not being far away. (And rain storms forecast for tomorrow.)

We barbecued piri-piri chicken, squashed new potatoes and salad. Well, not the latter, obviously.

IMG_0756.jpeg

Lunch

Then the whole of the outdoors stuff was packed away, as the awning had been earlier - we’re going to be better boy scouts than we were in Slovakia.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Ventusky is scary right now. The whole map is red and orange.
We’re setting off for 2 weeks tomorrow … so far Ventusky has ruled out - France, Netherlands and,today, Germany. I need to change weather app!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
The weather we’d been promised: thunder with a chance of being washed into the Atlantic didn’t arrive. Instead as day broke it was just grey.

IMG_0248.png

Doom!
We knew this couldn’t last so planned a stop in a town to see the storms out. We settled on Silves the historic capital of Argave. Silves has a castle, a well regarded Aire and a reputation for good food. Ideal to see out the rain. But first a walk for Flynn.

We parked up in a tiny car park on the outskirts of Santana de Serra and walked up into the hills. Not only did the rain hold off, the sun came out. As did several huge sheepdogs to tell Flynn he should jolly well keep on walking. He never seems bothered by guard dogs - either he’s super brave or he knows what they’re asking him to do. Eventually we had to cut the walk short because Flynn was overheating. Of course, he was able to control this though diligent use of puddles.

IMG_0780.jpeg

View back to Santana de Serra.
IMG_0260.jpeg

Making the most of a tiny puddle.

Once in Silves we asked the friendly guardian for a restaurant recommendation. We’d decided that now was the right time to pull out our secret super power in the face of bad weather: the boozy blow out lunch. The guardian gave us two recommendations which didn’t sound promising. One was “on the other side of town” and “just like grandmother’s cooking” the other “special fish, all the tourists go there”. We dutifully added them to Mundus and set out under threatening clouds.

The touristy fish place (Marisqueira Rui) was nothing of the sort. It looked business like, unpretentious and was full of locals - Portuguese anyway - stuffing a bewildering variety of seafood.

Some shellfish:
IMG_0268.jpeg

Goose neck barnacles
IMG_0786.jpeg

Red prawns
IMG_0269.jpeg

Japanese fighting whelks

The gooseneck barnacles are delicious but only really eaten in Portugal and Spain. Opening them is somewhat of a trick. After the table next to us watched us spray ourselves with barnacle juice in the attempt they kindly showed us how to nip the heads off.

After that a massive pot of lobster rice.

IMG_0789.jpeg

Lobster pot

We probably over ordered but that’s part of the fun. Anyway half of the lobster is now in Denby’s fridge (probably) for tomorrow’s lunch. So that’s actually saving money.

After all that we basically collapsed in Denby all afternoon sitting out the rain with occasional trots for Flynn round the park next to the aire.

Oh, except for a quick constitutional pastel del Silves

IMG_0278.jpeg

Yum.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
We loved Silves, and like you had a good meal there. Fab fresh juices in the castle cafe too. The storks we amazing, literally hundreds of them.

Anyway, did you really draw that? If so you’re a genius.
No, just learning. I’m using the Procreate app on my iPad which I use far more then when I used to take a sketch book & pencils the whole trip and never touch them.

We’ve seen just a few storks this trip - I think they must have started their migration?

Likes collected
Funster No
No, just learning. I’m using the Procreate app on my iPad which I use far more then when I used to take a sketch book & pencils the whole trip and never touch them.

We’ve seen just a few storks this trip - I think they must have started their migration?
I’ll have to have a look at that. As you say maybe they have started to migrate with the change in weather. They were in the fields opposite the camper stop a little further up the road from the other aire.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
Finally a sunny day! Even though, stuffed with suckling pig, we’d slept in, we decided Évora deserved more time. It was a good decision - bathed in sunshine, cafés setting up outside tables, it was a different town.

View attachment 963156

First up a viewing of the surprising complete Roman Temple.

View attachment 963157

All you can do is gaze at the outsides though, but as I circumnavigated it, I found a church, its banner claiming it to be the most beautiful in Portugal.

The Church of São João Evangelista was definitely worth the price of admission. The insides were almost entirely covered with blue and white Portuguese tiles.

View attachment 963158

There were regular groupings making larger tile artworks.

View attachment 963159
An 18C unveiling of a concrete elephant

We walked back down the narrow streets, and found the lady souvenir shop of my dreams. I do like a higher quality of tat. Among other things, I got this necklace.

View attachment 963160
Wet motorhome table model’s own

Rog had wanted a second breakfast of a pastel de nata, but this most important of purchases was subject to analysis paralysis, or dithering as I call it, and once we’d realised we couldn’t check the van’s internal temperature (comms fail), it had to be abandoned.

View attachment 963161

The shop above failed as it had ceramic model pastels de nata in the window. Male logic, don’t you love it.

Back at Denby temperatures were OK but rising, so we packed up and headed south, stopping for lunch, or breakfast as I call it, at a rather late 1pm.

View attachment 963163
Breakfast

We were aiming for Camping Serra da Bica, a small place in the middle of nowhere with just 12 pitches. The owner looked at me as if I were demanding front row seats at the Oasis reunion, rather than just a place for the night. “Didn’t you book? Well, we’re full.”

A hurried replan and a confirmatory phone call later, we were heading back 25 minutes north to Camping Monte de Rocha. This turned out to be a good option. It was a bit bleak and empty, with just two other vans on a space that takes 500, apparently.

View attachment 963165

But it was quiet and the showers were good, and best of all, it was a short walk down to the reservoir, which made Flynn’s doggy day.

View attachment 963166

He was so happy to find the lake, he had to rush back to tell us how brilliant it was.

View attachment 963168
Look! Human! Big water!

After cleaning everything, van, people, dog (in lake), we had a sundowner. All we could hear was the sound of cicadas, a Proustian memory of childhood holidays in the South of France. Instantly it feels like summer, despite November not being far away. (And rain storms forecast for tomorrow.)

We barbecued piri-piri chicken, squashed new potatoes and salad. Well, not the latter, obviously.

View attachment 963169
Lunch

Then the whole of the outdoors stuff was packed away, as the awning had been earlier - we’re going to be better boy scouts than we were in Slovakia.
Your Flynne who, I now realise, is much larger than I initially thought is completely different to ours who actually walks around puddles rather than get her paws wet. She has never swum in her 6 year life although the beach is her element. Surprising since she is half Labrador. On particularly hot days or when she has run about too much she will cool off her belly at the edge but jumps up if a ripple arrives!

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Your Flynne who, I now realise, is much larger than I initially thought is completely different to ours who actually walks around puddles rather than get her paws wet. She has never swum in her 6 year life although the beach is her element. Surprising since she is half Labrador. On particularly hot days or when she has run about too much she will cool off her belly at the edge but jumps up if a ripple arrives!

Yeah, he’s a fair-sized dog, about 33kg. Certainly our PVC gets pretty full with two adults and him! And he’s certainly keen on water!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...

There is an app for that? I thought you just needed to ply someone with wine?

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Not a great start to the day for me, with stomach pains and frequent loo visits called for.

I tried to join Rog on the dog walk but had to rush back to Denby while he carried on over the Roman bridge and out of town. At least that let me get a load of washing on in the aire’s machine (Miele, fancy!) and put it on to dry while I cleaned the van.

IMG_0280.jpeg

Silves is a really good town, deserving of the special Base Camp status in my app, Mundus. I use this for places near a town with plenty to see and eat, with a campsite with services and near lots of good walking. Silves has some of the best walks we’ve found and all in a town setting.

IMG_0053.jpeg

IMG_0282.jpeg

90 minutes later, Rog got back from the walk and had a massive helping of the lobster rice for lunch, with a bowl left over for Flynn’s dinner. Not sure kibble is going to cut the mustard after this trip - he’s already asking for a nice vinho verde to accompany his meals, and perhaps some dry-cured ham to start?

Rog managed an hour back at the van before getting stir-crazy. I really wanted to go into town with him and explore the castle but my stomach said no way. How annoying, I hate being ill on holiday.

There was nothing in the van suitable to eat - not that I was hungry but wondered if something bland would help. I texted Rog to ask him to buy a banana. Don’t come back specially, I said, not thinking that it would be another hour and a half before I heard from him again, asking what I wanted from Lidl. Porridge, soup, tummy cures, I texted back, wondering if it would be 3pm before I got my breakfast!

Tummy still hurting and feeling very fed up.

Likes collected
Funster No
I’m not surprised by the tummy upset Jane you guys don’t seem afraid of eating anything put in front of you.
Stick with fish and chips from a newspaper
Sorry to hear you are unwell, hopefully a 24 hour thing. Going to say the opposite of BillyBear … stay adventurous, but carry Loperamide, if you don’t already. 😂😂 At least Silves is a good base.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Sorry to hear you are unwell, hopefully a 24 hour thing. Going to say the opposite of BillyBear … stay adventurous, but carry Loperamide, if you don’t already. 😂😂 At least Silves is a good base.
We do thank goodness. But I’ve already had the maximum of 6. Apparently Lidl didn’t have soup or porridge, but Rog did bring a banana back which was something.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Back