Jane & Rog’s Eastwards Coddiwomple (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Jane and Rog

You said 'It was too hot for the Folk Architecture Museum, but we did poke around one of the famous wooden churches.'

That was a pity as we found it most interesting. Also the little pub/restaurant outside the entrance gate on the left was a good find, to the extent that we returned there a couple of days later just to eat there.

My apologies for not coming back to you re. suggestions for the area; I have been busy despatching Basia and her Sister back to Turkey, well Sister 'back' and Basia to guide her through the airport due to failing sight. Basia will return here next Sun.

II then looked for my 2022 'log' but cannot find it. I think that now you are already North of the area we toured. Sorry.

Happy trip up to Lithuania.

Geoff

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Jane and Rog

You said 'It was too hot for the Folk Architecture Museum, but we did poke around one of the famous wooden churches.'

That was a pity as we found it most interesting. Also the little pub/restaurant outside the entrance gate on the left was a good find, to the extent that we returned there a couple of days later just to eat there.

My apologies for not coming back to you re. suggestions for the area; I have been busy despatching Basia and her Sister back to Turkey, well Sister 'back' and Basia to guide her through the airport due to failing sight. Basia will return here next Sun.

II then looked for my 2022 'log' but cannot find it. I think that now you are already North of the area we toured. Sorry.

Happy trip up to Lithuania.

Geoff

Thanks. The real problem with the heat is the dog. It was over 30 when we arrived there - just too much for him. Hopefully cooler weather is coming.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
We’re at Hereford, so I booked an appointment to see Samuel Johnson’s 1746 Dictionary of the English Language close up.
No, it’s a neologism :-( I love the concept but I don’t think the word is onomatopoeic enough.

Also, did you see a first edition Johnson Dictionary? We have an nth edition quarter folio which is brilliant. It was a Christmas present from Jane to me back in the day.

Last edited:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
No, it’s a neologism :-( I love the concept but I don’t thing the word is onomatopoeic enough.

Also, did you see a first edition Johnson Dictionary? We have an nth edition quarter folio which is brilliant. It was a Christmas present from Jane to me back in the day.
Yes - a first edition printed in 1755.
IMG_0842.jpeg

IMG_0849.jpeg

It was a brilliant experience.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
After some drying machine issues (takes Euro 50 cent coins, needs two of them, we have one, we’re in a non-Euro zone country), we decided it was just cool enough to walk into town (29.5 degrees). The van, on hook-up, was at a much more temperate 23 degrees for Flynn.

We walked up to town in time for the last underground tour. This was a 40-minute jobby through 30-odd connected cellars beneath the Old Town. The cellars – originally used for storage and sometimes for shelter during times of conflict – were built between the 13th and 17th centuries. The deepest point is about 12m below ground, but at times it feels like more, because of disorienting twists, turns and (have you forgotten?) the dodgy fibula, which makes stairs a bit of a slow process.

IMG_8160.jpeg

IMG_8154.jpeg

The tour was totally in Polish, so we missed almost all, no, let’s say all, the interesting information. I wish they had an audio guide for English speakers. There were some cool audio-visual bits too, but again, all in Polish.

IMG_9397.jpeg

Afterwards, we had a drink on the square, which was a fantastic spot for people-watching.

IMG_9409.jpeg

Dinner was a bit of a risk - Rog had found the local posh place on Tripadvisor, and local posh places can be a real mistake - loadsa money for overcooked meat and blobs of gel. This was not that mistake.

We started with a glass of the local plonk.

IMG_9411.jpeg

We both started with mushroom tartare that was supposed to be kangaroo tartare. Either it had hopped off, or there was a misunderstanding, but it was delicious.

IMG_9412.jpeg

Mains for us both was goose breast. Cooked pink, totally yummy.

IMG_9414.jpeg

The cooking was so good I broke my usual habit and had a pud. Raspberry sorbet, white chocolate mousse (not sickly sweet as usual) and scattered with lovely things like salty sugared pistachios. Yum.

IMG_8173.jpeg

IMG_9416.jpeg

Rog had local cheese. “This is amazing,” he said, “Try this.” He was right, it was much better than any lunch cheese we’d had for a while. We asked the waitress what it was. “This is Compte, this is Roquefort, and this is a nice ripe Camembert.”

Turns out the cheese chooser was local, not the cheese.

IMG_9417.jpeg

We definitely recommend Restauracja Widnokrąg. The cost was similar to a single course and a few drinks in our local gastropub.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Surprisingly similar looking to ours which was published 30 years later (and two years after Johnson died)

View attachment 917441
OMG - that’s brilliant!

I looked for Oats, Honeymoon, Warmingstone, Statesman and Stateswoman.

The librarian (Jennifer Dumbelton- what a name for a librarian!) was very keen to find all the words, but we weren’t allowed to touch it!

Edit: He was commissioned to write it in 1746 and finished it nine years later, so the first edition was 1755 (or MDCCLV as the first page says!)

Last edited:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Have not looked up Honeymoon but as soon as we get back… :)
Also great:
Lottery: a tax on fools.
I love the entry for oats …
IMG_0838.jpeg

Apparently (so Cliff says), a famous Scot’s reposte was ‘that’s why England have the best horses, but Scotland has the best men’ :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Coddiwompling day 22: as you were

Trigger warning
: this post contains graphic images of a middle aged man eating beef burger. Delicate readers should turn their screens to black and white.

The start of our fourth week sees us not moving. Again! We liked the town, the campsite and its American sized tumble dryer so much we decided to stay another day. Flynn and I walked west up river. The site is really well positioned. Ten minutes from town (20 if you have a dodgy flipper) and five minutes from open countryside next to the river. I even got to visit the market on the way home although it was just packing up so I didn’t buy anything.

IMG_8188.jpeg

Dog who has never seen river before.

Washing clothes and walking dogs done, we went up into town to visit Sandiomierz Cathedral (or, to give it its full Catholic name, Cathedral Basilica of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the diocese of Sandiomierz). The cathedral was built in 1360 but inside it’s full on baroque mad. Even better it’s a mix of catholic and orthodox mad baroque.

IMG_9423.jpeg

Bling!
IMG_8202.jpeg

Particularly disturbing putto. There were more.

There are 12 friezes around the nave picturing the Martyrologium Romanum (i.e. how the saints died) from our non-exhaustive review none of them opted for “peacefully at home, surrounded by his loving family”. The saints are all numbered by the day of the month too - legend has it that you can predict your own death by finding the matching saint. Me: beheading by Tartar. Jane: unclear, possibly burning but possibly also beheading by Tartar. We are reconsidering our trip to Turkey in the winter.

IMG_9418.jpeg

Me, third from left, regretting dissolute life.

The cathedral’s notice board had a warning about these false idols you should be careful about carrying.

IMG_8206.jpeg

Danger will Robinson!
The peace symbol is labeled “In occultism, a sign of the fall of Christianity, a pagan sign of black magic. In Satanism, used during sacrifices for the celebration of black masses” ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

The Poles are very religious. When we were wandering round the cathedral there was a service on in one of the side chapels (it is Monday) it was full to overflowing and everyone could sing in tune without a musical accompaniment. The singing in Polish was lovely - any CofE vicar would give his Lent Chasuble for such participation. Similarly, here’s the turnout at Sandiomierz Cathedral when local boy Karol Józef Wojtyła became John Paul II.

IMG_8196.jpeg

Top Pope.
Then out to lunch. Sandiomierz has a lovely square surrounded by cafes. We selected the terrace of the Lapidarium which, if it were in Germany, would be the Rathauskeller since it’s housed in the town hall cellar. I had a burger and Jane had okroshka - a cold cucumber soup, something we haven’t had since leaving Ukraine.

IMG_9430.jpeg

You were warned.

Then a bit of touristing. We failed to buy jewellery made from local zebra flint or a carved wooden Christmas decoration.

IMG_8211.jpeg

Toot! Laaa!

We did buy a delicious pistachio doughnut and a burrata and raspberry ice cream.

IMG_9431.jpeg

Sadly I was not served by the lady in the logo.

We sat around the van all afternoon, wondering if the repetitively warned of thunderstorm would arrive and clear the humidity. It didn’t so at about six, we walked up the hill, had a few beers overlooking the square and then a pizza. The pizza wasn’t very Polish but it was very good.

IMG_8219.jpeg

The pizza was less funny than the wait.

Codiwomple rating: Jednorożec!

Ankle report: Due to high levels of interest we must stop supplying free updates here. Further information on the failing flipper will be available on Jane’s Only Fans page for paying subscribers.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
I was a bit worried there at what I was going to see:ROFLMAO: My ankle was a torn ligament which I was told was worse than a break so maybe that's why it took so long for mine to recover.
Yes, I sprained the same ankle at the top of a hill in the Lake District three years ago. At least it was a proper climb, not a dog amble. But it was more painful over the first few weeks than this is to be sure, and a torn ligament must be worse again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back