Jane & Rog’s Eastwards Coddiwomple (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is exactly what we’re doing thanks. Tonight, the angle of the van, humidity and most likely because Denby is haunted, the tap is working again.
Probably the wire has caught when swiveling between hot & cold, so wire broken but hanging together a bit of the insulation so the wires sometimes touch.
Best solution is to fit a pressure switched pump like a Shureflo when you get home.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
no but that wasn’t the question :)
The Nomad was a birthday present to me when we were working and quite flush.

Also, look at that steak it cooked 🥩

Also, note this is a no cadac thread so no backchat and no digression into the BBQ wars
I bought a Ninja woodfire electric BBQ for the van and kept it in the shed for a year before I dragged it out to put in the van. My ears are still ringing from Mr Gina M's reaction when it saw it "OMG, it's too big, too heavy and will blow every EHU bollard we plug it in" So I am just under 300 quid down and too late to return it. When I saw yours I thought I want one but I have to sell Ninja first, it's back in the gadget graveyard shed:giggle:

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
I bought a Ninja woodfire electric BBQ for the van and kept it in the shed for a year before I dragged it out to put in the van. My ears are still ringing from Mr Gina M's reaction when it saw it "OMG, it's too big, too heavy and will blow every EHU bollard we plug it in" So I am just under 300 quid down and too late to return it. When I saw yours I thought I want one but I have to sell Ninja first, it's back in the gadget graveyard shed:giggle:
This Nomad thing is heavy though. 22kg if I remember correctly. There was something to be said for our little Lotus grill! Have you tried the Ninja at home? I’m curious about how smoky it is.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
This Nomad thing is heavy though. 22kg if I remember correctly. There was something to be said for our little Lotus grill! Have you tried the Ninja at home? I’m curious about how smoky it is.
I am waiting for a good weather weekend as I really want to smoke my own fish and meat, that's what sold it to me, along with the roasting, slow cooker, grilling, air fryer, baking and dehydrating it can do. It won't make me a cup of tea though:giggle: (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
I forgot yesterday’s map.

IMG_0896.jpeg

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Coddiwompling day 18: ⛈️⛈️⛈️

As we left Camping Drymak (remember that name reader) Jane grimaced at her phone. Apple had issued a storm warning along our route. We decided to try and time the trip to get the storm on the road rather than parked up. That did not happen.

Just out of town we spotted a small wooden church and decided to double back and have a closer look. To turn around was the road to Jaśliska; a little market town (market day tomorrow unfortunately) that had a great shop. We stocked up with essentials and some non-essentials (honey). A lorry driver helped us translate some of the more esoteric salads and how we should weigh and package fruit.

IMG_9340.jpeg

Collar and cuffs.

Sadly the church wasn’t easy to access and with the temperature hitting 30C we couldn’t leave Flynn alone in the van for too long - he’d just drive it to the nearest lake.

We were heading towards Ustrzyki Górne (‘Upper Ustrzyki’) in the Bieszczady National park. As we entered the park we saw a car park full of obvious sightseers so we pulled in and tried to speak to the parking attendant to get a place.

“DO! YOU! SPEAK! ENGLISH?”
“Yes” he replied with an English accent.
“Oh! you have an English accent!”
“Yes, I’ve spent some years in England, first Birmingham and then South London…”
“Oh, I can see why you prefer it here…”
“…I have studied the patterns of the English dialect and grammar, I much prefer British English to your colonial brethren since they have no accepted ‘correct’ accent. Whereas with British English I can focus on Received Pronunciation. It’s quintessentially… but I digress, forgive my dalliance. I fear that it may be an imposition to ensconce your motor conveyance. The parking allotment at this divertissement does not allow for such excessive length. Happenstance you could endeavour to pull alongside yonder small hillock”.

His accent was more south london that RP but it was massively impressive. The best English I’ve heard from a car park attendant ever. Including England.

The touristing turned out to be a narrow gauge railway previously used to haul logs out of the mountains, now used to haul tourists into them. The round trip was two hours so not for us. Nice little trains though.

IMG_8035.jpeg

Diesel 10
Lunch was at a picnic spot just off the road. Nothing special but it had a viewing tower where I took this photo showing the storm clouds coming over.

IMG_8031.jpeg

Thor arrives.

We stopped at Polen Namiatowe Camp (///crinkles.remove.jaws) the pitches are tight but it’s really well located for town - which we’ll need because at 13:00 the Polish government sent this:

IMG_8041.jpeg

Between rain, I took Flynn to the river to swim and scouted the first leg of tomorrow’s walk.

IMG_8038.jpeg

Roughly: path does not exist

Some replanning needed…

We’re actually very close to Ukraine and one of the guidebooks recommends you take your passport when walking in the mountains. I suspect we still have residency Visas in them.

The rain continued so after Flynn had had another walk (he doesn’t care about rain) we went down the road to the restaurant closest-and-most-likely-to-take-cards. The food was good but the service could give a good kicking to “just so you know it’s small plates and the kitchen serves everything when it’s ready”. The Mountain pie with mutton was huge but it arrived so long before the mountain trout that I’d eaten the pie and ordered another round before Jane caught sight of her fish. Luckily we kept the “Polish lard with bread” starter to tide her over. We kept it so much, well over 75% of this is sitting in our fridge right now.

IMG_9355.jpeg

It was good though. The fish was a little over but all good, especially the super local beer. Oh, and nobody drinks wine in Poland so it’s all warm.

IMG_8046.jpeg

A bottle of important beer earlier today.

Codiwomple rating: Trains! Towers! Fruit! Rain! Expect a good day with showery intervals.

Ankle update: an exciting day for the trotter watchers amongst you. Today sees us a full 14 days since fracture-zero so, despite yesterday’s threatened set back we’ve moving on to the NHS’s advanced side to side rehab.
IMG_9339.jpeg

Next up peeling a banana

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013

As we left Camping Drymak (remember that name reader) Jane grimaced at her phone. Apple had issued a storm warning along our route. We decided to try and time the trip to get the storm on the road rather than parked up. That did not happen.

Just out of town we spotted a small wooden church and decided to double back and have a closer look. To turn around was the road to Jaśliska; a little market town (market day tomorrow unfortunately) that had a great shop. We stocked up with essentials and some non-essentials (honey). A lorry driver helped us translate some of the more esoteric salads and how we should weigh and package fruit.

View attachment 915942
Collar and cuffs.

Sadly the church wasn’t easy to access and with the temperature hitting 30C we couldn’t leave Flynn alone in the van for too long - he’d just drive it to the nearest lake.

We were heading towards Ustrzyki Górne (‘Upper Ustrzyki’) in the Bieszczady National park. As we entered the park we saw a car park full of obvious sightseers so we pulled in and tried to speak to the parking attendant to get a place.

“Yes, I’ve spent some years in England, first Birmingham and then South London…”
“…I have studied the patterns of the English dialect and grammar, I much prefer British English to your colonial brethren since they have no accepted ‘correct’ accent. Whereas with British English I can focus on Received Pronunciation. It’s quintessentially… but I digress, forgive my dalliance. I fear that it may be an imposition to ensconce your motor conveyance. The parking allotment at this divertissement does not allow for such excessive length. Happenstance you could endeavour to pull alongside yonder small hillock”.

His accent was more south london that RP but it was massively impressive. The best English I’ve heard from a car park attendant ever. Including England.

The touristing turned out to be a narrow gauge railway previously used to haul logs out of the mountains, now used to haul tourists into them. The round trip was two hours so not for us. Nice little trains though.

View attachment 915944
Diesel 10
Lunch was at a picnic spot just off the road. Nothing special but it had a viewing tower where I took this photo showing the storm clouds coming over.

View attachment 915947
Thor arrives.

We stopped at Polen Namiatowe Camp (///crinkles.remove.jaws) the pitches are tight but it’s really well located for town - which we’ll need because at 13:00 the Polish government sent this:

View attachment 915948

Between rain, I took Flynn to the river to swim and scouted the first leg of tomorrow’s walk.

View attachment 915950

Some replanning needed…

We’re actually very close to Ukraine and one of the guidebooks recommends you take your passport when walking in the mountains. I suspect we still have residency Visas in them.

The rain continued so after Flynn had had another walk (he doesn’t care about rain) we went down the road to the restaurant closest-and-most-likely-to-take-cards. The food was good but the service could give a good kicking to “just so you know it’s small plates and the kitchen serves everything when it’s ready”. The Mountain pie with mutton was huge but it arrived so long before the mountain trout that I’d eaten the pie and ordered another round before Jane caught sight of her fish. Luckily we kept the “Polish lard with bread” starter to tide her over. We kept it so much, well over 75% of this is sitting in our fridge right now.

View attachment 915951

It was good though. The fish was a little over but all good, especially the super local beer. Oh, and nobody drinks wine in Poland so it’s all warm.

View attachment 915952

Codiwomple rating: Trains! Towers! Fruit! Rain! Expect a good day with showery intervals.

Ankle update: an exciting day for the trotter watchers amongst you. Today sees us a full 14 days since fracture-zero so, despite yesterday’s threatened set back we’ve moving on to the NHS’s advanced side to side rehab.
View attachment 915954
Next up peeling a banana
Jane, just a thought - do you have airbags in the van? I always used to put my feet up on the dashboard of our van until I saw a video of a crash test dummy after the airbag went off - not a pretty sight!

Enjoying your trip immensely!

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Jane, just a thought - do you have airbags in the van? I always used to put my feet up on the dashboard of our van until I saw a video of a crash test dummy after the airbag went off - not a pretty sight!

There is a u tube vid somewhere that shows an x Ray of where the leg bones ended up behind the pelvis from having feet up against the dash in a crash. :eek:

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007

View attachment 915942
Collar and cuffs.

View attachment 915944
Diesel 10

View attachment 915947
Thor arrives.

View attachment 915948

View attachment 915950

Some replanning needed…

View attachment 915951

View attachment 915952

View attachment 915954
Next up peeling a banana
that is going to bug you for years Jane, like mine did:mad:

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years

Yes, we do. Very good point, thanks. Now the swelling is almost gone, I probably don’t need to do this any more.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Yesterday’s map.

IMG_0897.jpeg

The country surrounding the little peninsular we are in now is Ukraine. I’m really surprised how well Rog’s mother is taking this, as she’s the world’s worst worrier and would normally be demanding a retreat out of firing range. (So Australia?)

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Our blog turns are the wrong way round today - Rog did all the exciting stuff and I did the housework. He and Flynn set off early, before the heat of the day, to conquer a small mountain, while I conquered another one - the mountain of filth in Denby.

IMG_8054.jpeg

It’s that way!

Two hours later, everything was clean and shiny - inside every cupboard, in the fridge, the larder, the bathroom, the dog bed, the floors, chairs and windows. If I could reach it*, it was cleaned.

*And if it was in Denby. I didn’t clean next door’s tent or the camp toilets.

I then indulged in a leisurely camp shower (no tokens required) and waited around for Rog.

He returned having had a very good walk, with a small peak to his credit. He could have gone on to the higher one, but the sun was starting to get far too hot for Flynn.

IMG_20240628_130039_531.jpeg

Here’s the Relive video:

We lunched out - after trying to find another restaurant that took cards or euros and served wine, we ended up back at yesterday’s place. Rog ordered 2 plates of pierogi. We got three. My best guess was that holding up two fingers and saying “two” means “three” in Polish. Sadly our waitress was one of the most humourless people we’ve ever met, and our attempts at returning the extra plate met with no joy.

IMG_8086.jpeg

Extra plate yet to arrive!

Mission for tomorrow - learn to count in Polish and acquire some zlotys.

We had a lazy afternoon reading and playing games. This is Sea, Salt and Paper which is a light game with a bit of “how’s that” about it - especially when one of you (coughs modestly) gets four mermaids and wins instantly.

IMG_9366.jpeg

Man with huge hands and small head makes fatal mistake.

For dinner, I made a chunky bacon and butter bean stew with lots of tomatoes and red peppers. We didn’t linger outside afterwards as the thunder and rain returned.

IMG_9369.jpeg

Coddiwompling rating: A game of two halves.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Our blog turns are the wrong way round today - Rog did all the exciting stuff and I did the housework. He and Flynn set off early, before the heat of the day, to conquer a small mountain, while I conquered another one - the mountain of filth in Denby.

View attachment 916450
It’s that way!

Two hours later, everything was clean and shiny - inside every cupboard, in the fridge, the larder, the bathroom, the dog bed, the floors, chairs and windows. If I could reach it*, it was cleaned.

*And if it was in Denby. I didn’t clean next door’s tent or the camp toilets.

I then indulged in a leisurely camp shower (no tokens required) and waited around for Rog.

He returned having had a very good walk, with a small peak to his credit. He could have gone on to the higher one, but the sun was starting to get far too hot for Flynn.

View attachment 916457

Here’s the Relive video:

We lunched out - after trying to find another restaurant that took cards or euros and served wine, we ended up back at yesterday’s place. Rog ordered 2 plates of pierogi. We got three. My best guess was that holding up two fingers and saying “two” means “three” in Polish. Sadly our waitress was one of the most humourless people we’ve ever met, and our attempts at returning the extra plate met with no joy.

View attachment 916462
Extra plate yet to arrive!

Mission for tomorrow - learn to count in Polish and acquire some zlotys.

We had a lazy afternoon reading and playing games. This is Sea, Salt and Paper which is a light game with a bit of “how’s that” about it - especially when one of you (coughs modestly) gets four mermaids and wins instantly.

View attachment 916463
Man with huge hands and small head makes fatal mistake.

For dinner, I made a chunky bacon and butter bean stew with lots of tomatoes and red peppers. We didn’t linger outside afterwards as the thunder and rain returned.

View attachment 916464

Coddiwompling rating: A game of two halves.

I do not know where you are today but the area East of Drynak Camping and around Sanok is worth a look.

As far as menu is concerned, maybe Pirogi is still a novelty for you, but after 13 years I have had enough. I find a lot of traditional Polish dishes to be 'peasant', but understandably so when you consider their history, especially in Communist times.

Fortunately we now have some more international cuisine restaurants, even here in Katowice, French, Italian, Georgian and of course the ubiquitous Chinese, Indian(not our choice)

Jane, your bacon and butter bean stew with red peppers would go down well with both of us.(y)

You seem to be doing OK finding places in that area, but if you want I could dig out my logs from a couple of years ago. One favourite spot was on a hill next to a gliding club with a hotel and restaurant. Lovely views and walks in the woods. They were happy for us to park in their CP and we had prime spot.

Keep enjoying and look forward to when you can trek again, Jane.

Geoff

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
We’re still at the same place as yesterday - Ustrzyki Górne in the far south-east.

IMG_0898.jpeg

We’re used to pierogi (or similar) too, after two years living in Kyiv, but they’re a favourite of Rog’s and we’ve not had them for a while.

Thanks for the tip - I’ll try to find your thread for some ideas. Our thoughts now are that we’ll head up the east of the country and maybe pop into Lithuania if we have time. And save your neck of the woods and the Tatras for another time when I can hike.

But we’re coddiwompling, so it’s not an actual plan!

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
nicholsong - would you mind pointing me at your logs? I’ve searched by your username, but I don’t know if I can find threads started by you? Otherwise there’s a lot to look through!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
nicholsong - would you mind pointing me at your logs? I’ve searched by your username, but I don’t know if I can find threads started by you? Otherwise there’s a lot to look through!

Sorry if I confused you with the word 'logs'. I did not mean logs published on the forum, just my handwritten logs we make each day.

I will have a look later.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back