LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We fitted a new Cello smart tv which has performed great on our recent jaunt around North east Europe. Really pleased with the picture quality.
The only thing we found is that it doesn’t support live ITVx streaming. The ITVx app works really well, just no Live option.
To get round this we are thinking of a Firestick. Do you have to subscribe to ITVx to get live streaming or can you just live stream with adverts.
Thanks for any input.
Graham

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I even have a problem at home with it. Buffers and freezes at times when the adverts are on. I’m sure they do it on purpose to get you to subscribe.
And you can imagine how much “fun” that is on holiday whist it’s using your limited data 😂😂😂😂

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
grasscutter. Unfortunately Graham, I have to concur with all the above observations re ITV X, but especially the data usage comment.
Our Firestick was powered, but on standby as we thought. Unwittingly it ate up about 12Gb in a few hours even though the TV was off, so I have changed the way it is powered now.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
grasscutter. Unfortunately Graham, I have to concur with all the above observations re ITV X, and especially the data usage comment.
Our Firestick was powered, but on standby as we thought. Unwittingly it ate up about 12Gb in a few hours even though the TV was off, so I have changed the way it is powered now.

Cheers,

Jock. :)
That’s worrying Jock. ☹️ Do you unplug now when not in use?

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
We fitted a new Cello smart tv which has performed great on our recent jaunt around North east Europe. Really pleased with the picture quality.
The only thing we found is that it doesn’t support live ITVx streaming. The ITVx app works really well, just no Live option.
To get round this we are thinking of a Firestick. Do you have to subscribe to ITVx to get live streaming or can you just live stream with adverts.
Thanks for any input.
Graham
If you down load the rapid streamz app for your firestick you can get all the channels live

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
During our recent foray in mainland Europe, we gave up trying to watch ITV(x) and Ch4 on our Avtex smart tv and using a firestick, though we could watch ITV on an ipad. BBC iplayer worked well.

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
During our recent foray in mainland Europe, we gave up trying to watch ITV(x) and Ch4 on our Avtex smart tv and using a firestick, though we could watch ITV on an ipad. BBC iplayer worked well.
We found we could stream it onto our iPad without using too much data. The buffering,freezing was a pain.
Really and truly most things we can get on catch up. It was only the Euros we wanted to watch live.
Given everyone else’s input We will probably just stream to the iPad for the occasional thing we want to watch live on ITV. BBC and Prime etc all work fine streaming.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
It's frustratingly difficult to watch, we gave up.
Cello TV Firestick combination.
Mirror cast now off two phones.
Internet radio to stay up to date with current affairs.
Mike.

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Just over a week ago I bought a new Amazon Fire TV and not completely understanding what I was doing bought an Amazon Fire stick Lite as well 🙈...it was suggested as "you might also want one of these" when I went to checkout!
So I actually have this for sale if anyone wants it! Cost me £34.99 and will sell for £25.

Screenshot_20240709-085440.png

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
ITV X really does guzzle data, so much so that on my phone's hotspot via a Firestick it takes ages to do anything and then buffers, all depends on the signal your phone is getting. We don't watch it outside of the house Internet.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
And reports of the ITVx app being frustratingly glitchy
Recently it has been working really well on both my smart monitor and my Android tablet, however both the old ITV app and ITVX when first released were poor, they appear to have sorted it out now.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
ITVX on an aerial is total shite.
Buffering and blackouts should be part of the listings.
Can't see it being any better on line.
I think it just needs a good connection, I'm watching The terror on ITVx as I write, on a Samsung smart monitor, full HD and no buffering issues.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Downside of many of the free TV apps is that the open your internet connection for others to use, as that is how they make some money, by selling your connection
This uses IPTV from the little research i have just done, i don't use the app myself, but i am wondering how the app can then open up your internet connection, so others are able to use it. Can you elaborate some more on this please?
The upload on any mobile internet connection is usually diabolical and not something that would be able to reliably use other users to use even if it were possible (ie peer to peer etc) I am just curious so no harm intended

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
This uses IPTV from the little research i have just done, i don't use the app myself, but i am wondering how the app can then open up your internet connection, so others are able to use it. Can you elaborate some more on this please?
The upload on any mobile internet connection is usually diabolical and not something that would be able to reliably use other users to use even if it were possible (ie peer to peer etc) I am just curious so no harm intended
I understand that many of the free ones use p2p, not IPTV, so it relieves pressures on their servers. So already opening up your connection for others. There were quite a few reports about it a few years ago, Livenet was the main one. I shall see if i can find them again, but with it being a few years ago, not sure I will

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Many of the free ones use p2p, not IPTV. So already opening up your connection for others. There were quite a few reports about it a few years ago, Livenet was the main one. I shall see if i can find them again, but with it being a few years ago, not sure I will
Ah I see, I can understand the p2p ones but supposedly this one is IPTV, it has ads though so I would never use it, but it seems to offer a lot but as I said I have never used this one. One other thing to note is that any IPTV service free or paid is going to use a lot of data for anyone thinking of using one, they do work though (I would use a VPN no matter what with these).

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Downside of many of the free TV apps is that the open your internet connection for others to use, as that is how they make some money, by selling your connection
Not had any experience of that mind you I have unlimited data so probably would never know but also haven’t experienced much , if any, buffering

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back