Italy campsites Carole read they keep your passport at reception ? (1 Viewer)

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Is this old information ,normal practice or has she misunderstood
Thanks in advance

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
They didn't keep ours last year on the one I told you about at lake Garda ... I assume that's the norm unless anyone knows better ...

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I've come across this before from time to time and not just in Italy.
They're required to record the passport information of guests and if they're too busy / lazy to do it right away at checkin,, they'll ask you to come back the following day to collect them.
Hotels do it too sometimes.
I think it's probably less common now with technology as they can be scanned rather than written by hand.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I had mine kept at Camping Alvor, somewhere else, I cannot remember and at the Alcazar in Seville for the audio guide. That is on this trip so both Portugal and Spain.

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I think it is against the T&C of a passport to allow anyone else to keep it. I certainly wouldn't let them have mine.
these were my thoughts,I have in the past at hotels but that was along time ago.
Now with some of the replies i will have alternatives to offer before i say a big No

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I have known it happen in different places. If you look up ACSI you can buy an ACSI identity card which contains your passport details and is acceptable in lieu of a passport by campsites. Have to say I donā€™t like parting with my passport to third parties!

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
It happens, campsites, hotels etc. You can also give them your acsi ID card if you have one. We keep a photo of ours on our phones along with other useful documents as a safety measure.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
If you have the app and have gone digital the ID card is on you phone so they can just scan it .you also get your card as QR code on the app only shows your address and contact so don't think it has your passport details .

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
I have just come back from Italy, staying at several sites. They need to see your passport - some take photocopies - but they don't retain them. In some other countries they don't bother and are happy with the ACSI ID card, but that wasn't the case in Italy.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
A long time ago we used to leave our Camping Carnet card with site reception instead of passports. At that time they did use to keep passports and you could see all the passports and other Iā€™d in the drawer. But a long time ago.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
On principle I wouldn't leave my passport with ANYONE although it's been a while since anybody tried it. Mostly they take a scan or accept another form of identity, usually the ACSI ID card. I do carry photocopies however in case anyone gets a bit stroppy about it and I'm not inclined to go elsewhere.

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
If you have the app and have gone digital the ID card is on you phone so they can just scan it .you also get your card as QR code on the app only shows your address and contact so don't think it has your passport details .

The ACSI camping card, digital or physical, is different to the ACSI ID card. The ID card is a physical card you pay extra for.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Some countries' laws require one to carry ID at all times, so UK Citizens only have passports as ID, no ID cards.

In which case that is sufficient reason to refuse to leave a passport at reception.

Similarly if a EU Citizen is travelling only with their ID card, as they can, they could refuse to leave that at reception.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Some do, some don't , it's no big deal, just the way it is.....hand it over, let them do what they have to do and collect it when done, nout to get stressed about.....

Except that the Police can stop you in the street and demand you produce your ID to inspect. Telling them that your passport is held by the campsite Reception may or may not work. Probably not.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We travelled in Italy last year and I don't remember it being common. It might have happened when someone didn't have time to note down the details but that's all.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Except that the Police can stop you in the street and demand you produce your ID to inspect. Telling them that your passport is held by the campsite Reception may or may not work. Probably not.
A valid opinion and a possible scenario, I still donĀ“t worry about it, the bigger worry could be having the passport stolen while you are out and about, that did happen to herself a few years ago...go with what you are comfortable with and if that is refusing to let the passport out of your sight then that works for you....

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Used to be common practice when we travelled by motorbike in the 80's, not so common now.
We use a Camping Card International if asked, a few Ā£Ā£ from RAC and others.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
It is a requirement for them to register your passport details with the police, as in many EU countries. Some sites do and some donā€™t, so I donā€™t know how they get around that. Iā€™ve been asked in many places, including Italy, to leave my passport so they can do that overnight and collect next day. Iā€™ve also had them copy it instead. One site in Spain did it there and then via an App and received confirmation we were ā€˜okā€™ in a couple of minutes

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I think it is against the T&C of a passport to allow anyone else to keep it. I certainly wouldn't let them have mine.
Many of the better hotels all over Europe used to keep ones passport.
Has that changed? šŸ¤”

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
The ACSI camping card, digital or physical, is different to the ACSI ID card. The ID card is a physical card you pay extra for.
True , got that one wrong .:rolleyes: just to confirm the card on the app is actually the same one you would get in the book for discounts.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
re ACSI ID card
Acsi themselfs say the card is not sufficient in Italy.
I just renew ours today and had a look.
However anywhere I have stayed in Italy last few years they have just scaned the Passport and handed it back.
I have been on a lot of campsites in Germany and NL where they hold onto the ACSI ID card till your checking out. I can't remember any that have asked to see passport. They will accept even if not part of the ACSI discount card scheme.

ACSI ID card less than Ā£5

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
re ACSI ID card
Acsi themselfs say the card is not sufficient in Italy.
I just renew ours today and had a look.
However anywhere I have stayed in Italy last few years they have just scaned the Passport and handed it back.
I have been on a lot of campsites in Germany and NL where they hold onto the ACSI ID card till your checking out. I can't remember any that have asked to see passport. They will accept even if not part of the ACSI discount card scheme.

ACSI ID card less than Ā£5
We didnā€™t use ACSI much in Germany last year, sticking with the Stelplatz but tecall they hung on to it. I remember they dis in Peniscola too, although they returned it in a nice plastic wallet which we still use. Anyway, the point I am waffling towards is that our card is now just on our phones and they winā€™t be keeping that!

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We were at a campsite in Spain when they kept it, when went to collect them they had given ours to someone else, luckily the other persons wife had checked them after about an hour so turned round and brought them back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back