Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
My research
Would like an island bed in our planned motor home. But a quick look on the net for a 2 berth.
Nearly give me a heart attack first one I was 7.5 ton and £250,000 new LOL.
Now joking apart am I going to find a 2 berth with island bed
Will say clicked on the first link so maybe it was top of the range

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Thanks all. This picking a moho is not going to be easy. The island bed is for now the only thing written in stone. The garage comes in as we would like an ebike each dont fancy them on a bike rack

Auto-Trail Apache 632

Fiat Ducato X250 130 Multijet 2287cc Turbo Diesel Manual Layout: Fixed Bed Over Garage Length: 22' 0" (6.7m) Width: 7' 9" (2.35m) Height: 9' 11" (3.03m) Specification This 2012 Auto-Trail...

https://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/auto-trail-frontier-mohawk-super-lo-line.html
£44,995.00 Auto-Trail Frontier Mohawk Super Lo-Line

Fiat Ducato X250 130 Multijet 2287cc Turbo Diesel Manual Layout: Fixed Bed Over Garage Length:24' 7" (7.5m) Width: 7' 9" (2.35m) Height: 9' 11" (3..

https://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/chausson-welcome-718-xlb.html
£52,495.00 Chausson Welcome 718 XLB

Fiat Ducato X250 150 Multijet 2300cc Turbo Diesel Layout: Island bed Length: 24' 6" (7.46m) Width: 7' 9" (2.35m) Height: 9' 6" (2.89m) Specification This 2017...

Mobilvetta Euroyacht 291

Fiat Ducato 2800cc Turbo Diesel Manual Layout: Fixed Bed Over Garage Length: 23' 7" (7.2m) Width: 7' 9" (2.35m) Height: 9' 5" (2.88m) Specification This...

https://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/swift-escape-664-2.html
£43,495.00 Swift Escape 664

Fiat Ducato X250 130 Multijet 2287cc Turbo Diesel Automatic Layout: Fixed French Bed Length: 22' 1" (6.72m) Width: 7' 7" (2.31m) Height: 9' 5" (2.88m) Specification This...

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Having a very specific requirement can be useful because it limits what you need to look at. If buying new, you will still have decisions to make about the extras, whereas you can only select from what's on the market if secondhand.
If you're having difficulty, I'd reconsider the island and look at twin singles. You can fill the middle bit for winter, making a double. Singles are very practical at other times.
Lower bed options are less common but easier to access and provide more space within the motorhome. The garage would still be suitable for e-bikes but not for a scooter.

Upvote 0

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
I added the mdf panels to give a shelf

The workmanship looks very neat but you may find the MDF sags as it is very heavy, not very strong and the dust is not very good for you when worked.

if/when you replace it I'd recommend some decent plywood instead, perhaps some marine ply. Hardwood ply is my favourite but again it's quite heavy, you may find a 6mm beech ply + 25mm celotex + ply composite sandwich the best for lightness and strength if you can bond them together, maybe there's something already out there.
The best stuff is the honeycomb composite they use on aircraft floors but they don't seem to have that at B&Q when I look ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
So now I have to learn about. Payloads as weĺl as beds
Yes, I discovered when looking that in practice you could only take a load of helium balloons on ones trips. Aim for something saying 600kg upwards IMO, theres a thread on here about payloads and weighbridges.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Payload again! You may find most A classes struggle to work at 3500kg. If buying second hand don't part with any cash without a weigh bridge certificate. Key thing to consider with payload is axle loading as well.

You may have more payload than you need but your rear axle may be overloaded! It sounds daunting but it isn't once you do your reading. The main reason we bought new was to allow us to order a heavier chassis (4250kg) which does create its own problems with toll roads etc! (More reading!)

Don't forget there is always the option of towing stuff if all else fails! We spent 2 years plus doing our research (I have been accused having mild OCD tendencies!) but we got the van spot on and we jumped from camping to motor homing and never looked back!

Don’t be afraid to keep asking questions. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and very helpful people!

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
The workmanship looks very neat but you may find the MDF sags as it is very heavy, not very strong and the dust is not very good for you when worked.

if/when you replace it I'd recommend some decent plywood instead, perhaps some marine ply. Hardwood ply is my favourite but again it's quite heavy, you may find a 6mm beech ply + 25mm celotex + ply composite sandwich the best for lightness and strength if you can bond them together, maybe there's something already out there.
The best stuff is the honeycomb composite they use on aircraft floors but they don't seem to have that at B&Q when I look ;)

I've done something similar in 9 and 12mm ply - creating a slide-out platform so we can get four bikes (wheels off) into our garage. It works a treat, is pretty light and cost me very little. In order to avoid sag when in the vehicle I added a central support too. Mr Chrysalis might be able to split his under-shelf storage in two and do the same; if not a crossbrace should help.

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
Payload again! You may find most A classes struggle to work at 3500kg. If buying second hand don't part with any cash without a weigh bridge certificate. Key thing to consider with payload is axle loading as well.

You may have more payload than you need but your rear axle may be overloaded! It sounds daunting but it isn't once you do your reading. The main reason we bought new was to allow us to order a heavier chassis (4250kg) which does create its own problems with toll roads etc! (More reading!)

Don't forget there is always the option of towing stuff if all else fails! We spent 2 years plus doing our research (I have been accused having mild OCD tendencies!) but we got the van spot on and we jumped from camping to motor homing and never looked back!

Don’t be afraid to keep asking questions. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and very helpful people!

Useful to check first what kind of licence you have. If you are of a reasonable vintage and above (I'm mid 40s), you will automatically have a C1 licence entitlement - which allows you to drive vehicles between 3.5t and 7.5ton. If you're lucky enough to be younger, then you will need to pass a test to get a C1 - which I understand can be about £1000 including tuition.

This may influence what vehicle you get - even if you get one that is rated for more than 3500kg, you may not want the expense/hassle of getting a C1 licence.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you are planning on putting E-bikes in the garage make sure you understand the payload implications.

If you take the batteries off your bikes before putting them in the garage that reduces the weight. Our garage is limited to 150kg which isn't very much so we store the batteries in the "silly cupboard" which is at the bottom of the galley drawer set, it has a drop down flap rather than a drawer as it is a funny shape inside due to plumbing running through it but it is just the right size for the bike batteries and charger - no not plugged in! The leaflet that came with the bikes said the batteries should not be charged in an enclosed space.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
We had a Hymer Exsis I 698 with island bed nice van just under 3m high x 7.2 m long.
I have just been made aware of the Bailey Approach Autogragh 730. this has an island bed plus the benefit of very comfortable looking fwd lounge which creates our interest.
Very interested in this model does anyone have one or considered this model. We currently have a Autotrail Apache 634 rear lounge ,Is the build quality of the Bailey comparable as its 7.3 m but only 3500kg

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that

Yes, it does sag, but I overcome that by storing the levelling ramps under the centre line. Not ideal, and I will replace them with ply aventually, now that I have updated my payload. Thanks for the tip. I might also consider reinforcing the edges with aluminium angle.

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
I have just been made aware of the Bailey Approach Autogragh 730. this has an island bed plus the benefit of very comfortable looking fwd lounge which creates our interest.
Very interested in this model does anyone have one or considered this model. We currently have a Autotrail Apache 634 rear lounge ,Is the build quality of the Bailey comparable as its 7.3 m but only 3500kg

Yes - we looked at these (or a slightly different model but essentially v similar). They were probably our second choice, but once the Memsahib had seen the Carado the decision was made and I was relegated to the role of mere consultee.

Upvote 0

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Chausson 718 EB has a brilliant island bed. Just about to change ours for a Burstner Lyseo with the same island bed. Wouldn't change the set up as the big bed is most important to us.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Look at the new McLouis Fusion range of motor homes, there are two island bed layouts in the range both with huge garages and at a very reasonable price too.

They are very nice. But wanted to try and avoid a brand new one.
Also the idea that the firm is new to the UK could be a bit worrying. On the other hand they may make sure there launch ones are spot on. I dont know. But they are nice. No there really nice

Upvote 0

crunch

Free Member
Jul 26, 2015
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2015
Our Pilote has an island and a large garage as the bed is height adjustable,so when travelling bed up high then on arrival take out bits in garage and lower bed. It is a 4 berth with a drop down bed at the front but I belive this can be opted out of at a cost for lockers.

Upvote 0

Griffithii

Free Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 638EB
Exp
Two years, 5,000 miles, less than 100 nights
Another vote for the Chausson, we have island bed and a big garage in a 6.5m low profile .They don't make it now but several at 7m
The price you pay is small dinette but it works well for us.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you're spending that much time in a mh, I don't think 3.5t will be sufficient.
Also, if you buy a foreign make, might be easier to get things fixed abroad.
I woukd start looking round dealers niw to see whats out there and prices.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Our Pilote has an island and a large garage as the bed is height adjustable,so when travelling bed up high then on arrival take out bits in garage and lower bed. It is a 4 berth with a drop down bed at the front but I belive this can be opted out of at a cost for lockers.

At a cost?

To replace the expensive bed mechanism with bits of wood?

Upvote 0

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
How about an Autotrail 730/732 island bed tec a 4 berth but only 2 seat belts, we love ours .

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We looked at Baileys. I would suggest you have a good look at them to see if they would be suitable.
We decided against them for various reasons, one being that they are very wide and we weren’t impressed with the quality of the furnishings or overall build quality
We bought a Burstner TD 736 Harmony Line. It has an island bed, over 2m of headroom inside and a large garage, accessed from both sides. Build quality is superb. We just got in and drove it and nothing has gone wrong or fell off.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, we looked at a number of new vans recently, and £1500 to take the drop down bed out was not unusual.

I thought 'crunch' was taling about ordering lockers instead of the drop-down. Not taking one out having been fitted.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
Do you mean new to you or new. Can you take beds out a second hand one?

I thought 'crunch' was taling about ordering lockers instead of the drop-down. Not taking one out having been fitted.

Geoff

Sorry, I wasn’t clear.

I meant new to us, and the list price was higher if you didn’t want the drop down bed but wanted storage cupboards/lockers in its place.

Yes - seemed counter-intuitive to us too!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back