DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Thanks IRHP but I am booked in with Motus now.

£130 for the work NETV did and despite telling them I would be there in a couple of hours, a dirty screwdriver was left, a cover for the OBD was off and plastic protective seat coverings were still in place. They just don't seem to give a monkeys about your pride and joy or their work. Huf-Haus they are not.

Oh, and the £3500 was for the part, it would have been £7500 in total.

Jan 7, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Bill, people drive them like a true liquid auto. They are nothing like one.
You have to drive them as they are, a electronic gear change!
Strangley enough certain parts of the pfa group call these boxes just that. If the box isn’t changing correctly for you, use the manual selector.
No with the 3.0 but with the same tech box I covered well over 100k and drove it very quick, but I used the flappy paddles that mine had.
Remember these box’s haven’t had much change in ages that’s why people think the zf box is so good- it’s a different type
Very true what Bill says. I bought my 2004 Hymer S650 in 2013 with a Sprintshift gearbox (same principle as Comfortmatic) and I broke down on the way back from the dealers. I thought immediately what the hell have I done! Turned out a wiring loom had rubbed through on the Hymer bodywork and Mercedes Truck fixed it in a jiffy (at the selling dealers expense) by rewiring and rerouting the loom. It’s been absolutely awesome and faultless ever since and having driven both sticks and autos all my life I love the driving experience of the semi auto gearbox. But, its another driving approach from that used for stick or pure auto to get the very best out of it. On the Mercedes’ version it is very clever at pre-empting road and driving inputs extremely well and the economy is same or better that pure manual and probably 5mpg better that a full slush box auto. At 4600kgs fully loaded with a one tonne Toad on the back on top it does a great job.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
We had a 3 litre fiat with comfortmatic gearbox it broke and three months later wasnt fixed it was at brownhills where we bought it from we part exed for a different van three months after that it was still not fixed ………hubby still shivers if you mention comfortmatic lol

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
After our experience, I'd trust NETV's competence to fix Comfortmatics but they'll charge top rates and take their time - they had our 10 weeks for the two and a half day job.

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, they told me that they'd ordered a new flywheel, clutch and release bearing. As to why, they said one of several clips had broken in the clutch, causing sensors to misalign and tell the ECU to shut down in case of damage.

I believe the work may have been measured by FIAT as 2.5 days. I saw for myself that the near side wheel had been removed, the radiator, and much of the front bumper assembly, in order to get at the gearbox.

It was just over 10 weeks on NETV premises. Every time a public authority vehicle came in for repair, they told me that our van was pushed down the queue - maybe because NETV York valued their business more than FIAT's, maybe because FIAT won't pay the hourly rate that NETV charge their private clients.

I believe it would have taken a lot longer than 10 weeks if I hadn't started to complain to NETV group HQ in Billingham, Teesside. One word from them and the work was completed in 3 days. Maybe because they agreed that their branch behaviour was unethical, unprofessional and could result in bad press.

They say they do a lot of Ducatos and are very familiar with Comfortmatic boxes.

OP
OP
DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Maybe because they agreed that their branch behaviour was unethical, unprofessional
Everything about the Carlisle place gave me cause for concern. It was dirty, vehicles part assembled laying around and they never did the simple things, like call me when they said they would.

I appreciate it is out of the pan and into the fire, but so far Motus have called when they said they would. Lets see if that is just window dressing.

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Good luck DumfriesDik, it may work out better than you imagine. Let us know how you get on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
There are a few videos on YouTube concerning Comfortmatic gear box problems, some are a bit trivial, but some do go into a fair bit of detail, but generally require scan tools ?
I think your gut feeling about ditching netv is probably the right one, if they can't keep in touch with a prospective £4k earner coming their way, they aint worth dealing with.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
We have been to the Nec motorhome show today, and the motorhome we ordered in February they have just told us they want £9000 more ,I told them the contract I signed then "isn't worth a sh - t is it " !!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
We have been to the Nec motorhome show today, and the motorhome we ordered in February they have just told us they want £9000 more ,I told them the contract I signed then "isn't worth a sh - t is it " !!
Ouch! Not a nice way to do business. Perhaps worth reading the small print on the back of the contract to see what circumstances would allow them to do this. Being able to sell your motorhome to another buyer for more than you were paying is probably not covered (but of course this would never have crossed the dealers mind, I am just an old cynic). Hope you can find a satisfactory solution.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I would have thought that paying a deposit and having a signed sale agreement by the dealer & client would have cemented the deal at the "Agreed" sale price, regardless of build/delivery times.
If that's not the case then what protection does any consumer have these days? After all a holding deposit is "dealing with client money" so has to have some form of FCA regulation, which the dealer will have to hold & comply with if they hold a credit consumer licence.
I appreciate the manufacturer may have had to increase production costs, but the agreement is between the purchaser and the client, so the dealer may have to absorb some of those increased costs. I would seek legal advice as £9K is a lot of money.
LES

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Ouch! Not a nice way to do business. Perhaps worth reading the small print on the back of the contract to see what circumstances would allow them to do this. Being able to sell your motorhome to another buyer for more than you were paying is probably not covered (but of course this would never have crossed the dealers mind, I am just an old cynic). Hope you can find a satisfactory solution.
I hear what you say I have said previously the " nice way" over several weeks , yesterday I met the salesman and a Director of the manufacturer, and explained I had read the small print, and it says if their costs go up they can recover costs, but, the engine we have dropped to a 140bhp Which is still £1500 cheaper than the one we were going to have, I have spoken to a friend and main dealer as well as another dealer and both said the price on any signed deal would be honoured, so taking the £1500+ £9000 questionable that the vehicle has gone up that much ,so we will cancel today unless they come up with a compromise nobody is going to take the pi-- out of me. Please excuse my language for the genteel,but I'm quite annoyed.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I hear what you say I have said previously the " nice way" over several weeks , yesterday I met the salesman and a Director of the manufacturer, and explained I had read the small print, and it says if their costs go up they can recover costs, but, the engine we have dropped to a 140bhp Which is still £1500 cheaper than the one we were going to have, I have spoken to a friend and main dealer as well as another dealer and both said the price on any signed deal would be honoured, so taking the £1500+ £9000 questionable that the vehicle has gone up that much ,so we will cancel today unless they come up with a compromise nobody is going to take the pi-- out of me. Please excuse my language for the genteel,but I'm quite annoyed.
You have come to correct decision I would do the same.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Very understandable. Seems the dealer and manufacturer have ganged up on you the customer. Are you going to let us know who they are? I would want to see their future sales suffer for doing this to you.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
It broke down early on a sunday morning,so was recovered home but then they wouldnt take it to brownhills at newark, the other recovery service wouldnt take it either as it was parked less than a mile from home,what a blinkin performance,so i paid an independent recovery vehicle to take it(this is because it was 6am on a sunday morning,then it sat in dealership service area for months as nobody knew how to fix it,it was an absolute nightmare i part exed for a new apache ,what i didnt like then part exed for an arapaho, if the cheyanne hadnt had a comfortmatic gearbox im sure we would still have it as i loved that van🙁

Attachments

• 4CE29375-208C-455E-B5F4-11837B7AF5F1.png
    4CE29375-208C-455E-B5F4-11837B7AF5F1.png
    2 MB · Views: 43
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
i'd look at using your legal aid on insurance with a viiew to seeing whether what they are attempting to do is legal?

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
i'd look at using your legal aid on insurance with a viiew to seeing whether what they are attempting to do is legal?
Buying problem has been resolved, amicably thank goodness , took a bit of getting there, but, we are reasonably satisfied. No other comment really.

OP
OP
DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Sorry I have been quite on this saga, but here we go. Back to the gearbox. Remember I could not get sixth gear? I hope this is of some help to others.

The error codes were obtained from a Fiat Professional garage whilst on a trip in Ireland. £70.

We booked in and took the van to NETV Carlisle. They sat on the van and didn't do much at all. They also got the same error codes and did a test drive where they couldn't get sixth gear. They didn't return calls, didn't give updates or even do what they said they would do. We went over, paid the £130 and left disgruntled. We waited for over 4 weeks for this 'appointment'.

We brought the van back home and contacted Motus Commercials in Glasgow but not the DAF side of things. If you contact them you'll know what I mean. The AA took the van up there. Motus took the vehicle in as agreed, a day early. They called when they said they would to discuss the findings. I agreed for them to adjust the 'timing' on the gearbox robot, but the technician was away for a few days. However, a day after the technician returned, they called, as they said they would, and that it has been resolved. Very professional. No lies or deceit. Great to have my expectations not only managed, but met.

They resolved the gearbox issue in around two hours. They also performed a service and did an MOT. £730 all in, including VAT.

If you have a Fiat problem and are within striking distance of Glasgow, I wholeheartedly recommend Motus in Hardgate Road.

PS When I say van I mean the 7.4m motorhome
PPS Fiat had no interest in helping us despite only 32k miles

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Great news - glad you pushed the clutch/gearbox control units reset rather than the usual garage change everything expensive at your time and cost route until they fluke it (y) (y)
It's people like NETV ,that get Garages a bad name, but comments like "rather than the usual garage change everything expensive at your time and cost route until they fluke it". Is deplorable , unnecessary, and like me you don't know what every Garage is like, plus you might need one when you are away from home !!

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
It's people like NETV ,that get Garages a bad name, but comments like "rather than the usual garage change everything expensive at your time and cost route until they fluke it". Is deplorable , unnecessary, and like me you don't know what every Garage is like, plus you might need one when you are away from home !!
Every single Comfortmatic problem that I've come across on this forum and others seems to have been solved in this way so just going off the evidence

Reactions: Aji
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Every single Comfortmatic problem that I've come across on this forum and others seems to have been solved in this way so just going off the evidence
1st garage I went to cured mine ,as I had no experience or equipment to check for faults, but I'm not judging garages " By my own yardstick" ,but being a Ex. Garage Owner !!??

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
1st garage I went to cured mine ,as I had no experience or equipment to check for faults, but I'm not judging garages " By my own yardstick" ,but being a Ex. Garage Owner !!??
True how do others know what the various garages did, it could have been the exact problem they were fixing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back