Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
We have a Buerstner Travel Van T620G bought new right at the end of the 2018 "season" - so not used in anger until 2019. Then came Covid so another long period of minimal, if any, use. Since then it's done nearly 13K miles, had all the usual services and kept clean and tidy.
It's just had it's 6th habitation service (i.e. the first one since the warranty expired) and we've been told that there is damp in the roof apparently caused by failure of the sealing strip going across the roof between the cab and the coach-built part.
Needless to say we were disappointed and annoyed at this failure of "high quality German manufacture" after such a short and relatively easy life. Imagine then how we felt when we were quoted £2500 to put it right, composed partly of about £20 of parts and the rest of 18 hours of labour!
Are we being ripped off here? Is it normal to expect leaks at such a young age (and so soon after the warranty expires?:madder:) Should it really take 18 hours to fix?
Needless to say we will get a second opinion but that will take a couple of weeks. Meantime we're rather upset...

ps: Before the DIY experts pile in, I do not have the means, either physically or equipment-wise, to climb on the roof and do the 18 hours of hard labour myself!

Aug 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
1 year and a bit
Perhaps try asking for a contribution from the manufacturer.
Agree about not doing it yourself, I to am far to busy doing nice stuff ;)

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2018
Funster No
Unfortunately all vans leak from the cheapest to the most expensive, the main difference is that the very little damage is done in the most expensive vans where in the cheaper ones it can destroy the integrity of the van and its interior. As for the price the parts is probably just the sealing strip that’s why only £20 but usually that strip you mentioned is a gap that is pumped full of very hard sealant and then the sealing strip is stuck in for looks purposes. To do it properly the side pods would have to come off and all that sealant has to be dug out and re-done then a new strip put in and held in place and the van has to be tested.All of which is very time consuming. 18 hours maybe a little over but not by much I’m afraid

Upvote 1
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
You can buy a good sealing strip, Eternabond or similar for just a few quid.

It should be on in an hour including cleaning the area first, is there any work in making good any internal sections from the damp? If not you are being conned good and proper.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If the first 5 were ok then it’s likely not that old, I know you don’t have the ability but could you ask someone just to remove old sealant and reseal it as it’s possibly wood free construction, or if wood in structure has damaged been caused to the body.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2019
North East, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
I am getting a new trim skirt fitted due to my inadequate driving - the part is vac formed ABS nothing special - £480.

They are quoting 5 hours labour which is 3 hours too much IMO, at £75/hour - but it is what it is.

There may be some work inside your van, as you do not know how far the water has penetrated, so may involve removal of the ceiling board and dry out

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’ve recently taken off a sealing strip and cleaned it up and put on a new one for Northernraider strip was indeed less then £20 I believe… like you I’m not physically inclined and equipped to do it on top of a 4m motorhome but I managed…. 😎

It’s amazing what can be done when saving £2500….

I’ll have to get that invoice to Northernraider before he leaves..😆

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I’ve recently taken off a sealing strip and cleaned it up and put on a new one for Northernraider strip was indeed less then £20 I believe… like you I’m not physically inclined and equipped to do it on top of a 4m motorhome but I managed…. 😎

It’s amazing what can be done when saving £2500….

I’ll have to get that invoice to Northernraider before he leaves..😆
I thought you and Tam were going to start a MH repair business ... the OP's only in Somerset! :giggle:

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2017
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta
Exp
Since 1989
My thoughts are that the labour is about £140 per hour!
A serious dehumidifier can be hired for the weekend after you find someone to reseal the bad/damaged joint.
If there is damage inside then a lot of that quoted cost could be on materials: if not it's a rip off.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back