Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Our local Aldi has introduced a system where all visitors to the store have to register their visit by inputting their car number on an instore screen. If for any reason you don't a £70 fine arrives in the post. Of course the signs are small and placed about 2.5 - 3.0 metres above the ground.
PXL_20241003_144646627.jpg

Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
Our local Aldi has introduced a system where all visitors to the store have to register their visit by inputting their car number on an instore screen. If for any reason you don't a £70 fine arrives in the post. Of course the signs are small and placed about 2.5 - 3.0 metres above the ground. View attachment 960071
Been doing it in Stockport for years, town center parking

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
None of the three Aldi stores near us use such a facility thankfully..............yet, but they do operate a time limit monitored by ANPR cameras.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
None of the three Aldi stores near us use such a facility thankfully..............yet, but they do operate a time limit monitored by ANPR cameras.

Cheers,

That is what the Yeovil store was doing until recently. I'm prepared to have my visit car checked in and out by an ANPR camera system but I will not be put to the trouble of registering my visit instore. I suspect a lot of people will be caught out as there is no in store guide, the signs are small, set very high and difficult to read.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Not come across this at Aldi but I have at a few pubs or Hotels where they have a pay car park which is free for patrons.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
That is what the Yeovil store was doing until recently. I'm prepared to have my visit car checked in and out by an ANPR camera system but I will not be put to the trouble of registering my visit instore. I suspect a lot of people will be caught out as there is no in store guide, the signs are small, set very high and difficult to read.
Thanks for the warning. This is something new , might well have missed it when I pop in after my hols.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The LIDL we used in Branksome (Poole) when we lived there started a similar scheme several years ago. You had to scan your receipt and enter your registration number as you left the store. It is only necessary because people cheat and abuse the car park, we welcomed it because it meant we didn’t have to queue up waiting for parking spaces. The cashiers made sure all genuine customers were told to scan their receipts and enter their numbers. Great system stopped the car park being filled by people using the railway station.

The only people who moaned were the ones who shouldn’t have been there in the first place. The genuine customers soon discovered the benefits of parking spaces being available. Don’t blame the stores blame the people who park where they shouldn’t.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I'm prepared to have my visit car checked in and out by an ANPR camera system but I will not be put to the trouble of registering my visit instore.
We had to do that every time we visited the blooming dentist. I wasn't happy about doing it either. :(

Cheers,

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Absolutely, the convenience these stores offer is abused by bloody free-loaders!
A chap at Lidl on Tuesday came out the store to his car parked in the "Mother & Child slots. He was alone, minus children, and minus a disabled badge........................but was nonetheless conveniently parked right in front of the shop door. :doh:

Cheers,

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
They have had a 90 minute ANPR controlled parking since the store opened. This extra layer seems pointless other than causing inconvenience.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We have had one in our town centre aldi since it opened. We have to register on leaving the store and the monitor screen brings up a cctv still of thd var number plate . Click to say its yours and drive out. You can stay on the car park for 2 hrs but you either pay at the meter or use the shop registration.
We have been caught out several times by parking eye . Forgetting to register but aldi sort it. They can find your reciept from the timing on the parking charge if you haven't retained one.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
One of the Aldis’ in Bedford-right behind the high Street-has had this in place for a few years now.
Not surprising really as people use it to go to the High Street!
We use it as our Dentist is close by, always go in and buy something to ‘register’ the car.

Sep 25, 2021
Burntwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Mclouis fusion 331
Exp
I wish our local CO-OP had it, if you want to nip into the shop for anything you cannot get a parking spot an hour before the kids turn out of the nearby school as parents take up the entire car park, usually sat in the car on their phones or reading a book

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We had to do that every time we visited the blooming dentist. I wasn't happy about doing it either. :(

Cheers,

Our dentist no longer has parking. The landlord has put a barrier across the vehicle entry which is a real nuisance to us as I use a wheelchair and the nearest parking is a good distance away.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I wish our local CO-OP had it, if you want to nip into the shop for anything you cannot get a parking spot an hour before the kids turn out of the nearby school as parents take up the entire car park, usually sat in the car on their phones or reading a book
Here the parents park in the GP and community hospital carparks. Very inconsiderate.

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
My local Lidl being very close to the Town center has this system.
Works just fine with till operators reminding folks as they pay for their goods.
However word to the wise I did get Parking fine when I inputted the wrong car reg on the day. Fortunately had the Lidls e receipt on the app and scanned it to them and fine was voided!

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
The LIDL we used in Branksome (Poole) when we lived there started a similar scheme several years ago. You had to scan your receipt and enter your registration number as you left the store. It is only necessary because people cheat and abuse the car park, we welcomed it because it meant we didn’t have to queue up waiting for parking spaces. The cashiers made sure all genuine customers were told to scan their receipts and enter their numbers. Great system stopped the car park being filled by people using the railway station.

The only people who moaned were the ones who shouldn’t have been there in the first place. The genuine customers soon discovered the benefits of parking spaces being available. Don’t blame the stores blame the people who park where they shouldn’t.
so what happens if you go in but dont buy anything?

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
Our Lidl has started using it, much easier to park now it is only customers, used to be all the school pick ups and drop offs.
You have to scan the bar code on the receipt so, as long as you buy something it’s all good, takes about 10s to scan and input your registration.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
They have had a 90 minute ANPR controlled parking since the store opened. This extra layer seems pointless other than causing inconvenience.
The problem with just ANPR is that it generally cross matches with time permitted to stay, not whether your a customer or not. The car park is there for ALDI customers.

Ours does not have either, but still has a time limit, and there are loads of non customers visiting other shops around the corner. Not good when it’s only a small car park, annoys me when you see that is what’s happening and I’m struggling to get a space.

Unfortunately the way lots of people are these days, wanting everything for nowt

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back