LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Blue badge in the window and the police say motorhome was legally parked.
Apparently the bus “snagged the campervan” as it tried to pass.

Not a good day for anyone.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
It seems like a case where common sense didn't prevail. Parking the MH there didn't take account of the restriction it caused on other large vehicles passing. Now they have a damaged van due to lack of foresight.

I lived in Penryn for a few years and saw MHs parked in all sorts of inappropriate places there because Falmouth is not easy to access and park.

Last edited:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Bus should have mounted the kerb to get past
Not always possible along that road due to high kerbs and overhanging buildings.

The buses pass so close to some houses, you can look in the bedroom windows 🤭

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jimbohorlicks
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If you look they are legally parked beyond the yellow lines 🙂
It’s not on double yellow and while it’s an inconsiderate place to park it’s not illegal as far as I read.
Yes , agreed not on double yellows. My error in the opening post. But still a silly place to park up legal or not. 🤷‍♂️

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Not always possible along that road due to high kerbs and overhanging buildings.

There was a tale of a young buxom country girl who went to stay with her friend in town.Used to living in the country so slept naked,jumped out of bed in the morning and flung back the curtains,only to find a double decker outside 😄

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Blue badge or not I wouldn't park there.
Nor me, not even in a car. I might ask to be dropped off if absolutely necessary but wouldn't park there. I don't know the area but if being dropped off would have to weigh up the chances of delaying emergency vehicles. Any chance of causing a delay = move on, don't stop.

Most people are understanding when they see the wheelchair lifted out but some are in too much of a hurry to be considerate and won't even give me the 3 minutes I need.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
If we were at all concern we leave a note in the window with phone number and a message text move van. Only had a call once when a wide load could not pass. But allways try not to park where it may cause a problem.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Correct me if I'm wrong but on the public highway there is no such thing as "legal" parking. If a vehicle is causing an obstruction then it is parked illegally even if there are no other restriction signs.
Having been a coach driver and suffered similar problems (solved in one case by my passengers, a rugby team!) I'd never park in such a thoughtless manner.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I would have thought that the motorhome driver would have been more aware but any professional driver of a bus (or lorry) should never have gotten into being snagged on a straight road.
The standard of driving these days is certainly not as good as it was.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Only reason not to mount the kerb at that point is the two open windows would be on the ground.
The kerb is quite low at that point

Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
Is this a funster parking up on double yellow lines?

The report makes it clear that the moho was not parked illegally and the photo shows that it is not on yellow lines. However, it is a really bad choice to park up on such a narrow road. 😗

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
Looks like if the bus had mounted the curb it would have hit the open windows on the house.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only reason not to mount the kerb at that point is the two open windows would be on the ground.
The kerb is quite low at that point
Always dodgy mounting kerbs as the vehicle tilts and it would be a lot on a double decker.

Remember when I was new to Motorhoming I met a Double decker coming the other way in Lydd High St, I went up the kerb to give the bus room, nearly had to get the brown trousers out when I saw how close my awning was to the bus, missed it by a couple of inches.

Aug 24, 2023
Brixham, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 3007
Exp
September 2023 :)
I can remember a time I was driving a coach through Paris after dropping off students, and I was on my way to park up, when the road narrowed slightly, with cars parked on both sides of the road. It only takes a few odd french drivers to park, shall we say, not straight and tidy, that the road became impassable.
With all the cars tooting their horns behind me and people on the pathways looking at me, I switched off my engine and just sat there, waiting for the police.
After about 10 minutes, they turned up, asked what thee problem was and within minutes, there were about 20 coppers on the spot all going down the road bumping in the cars that were stuck out. Problem solved! And they all seem to look quite happy doing it.
Oh, those were the days! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

What you have to consider, if a large vehicle can't get through, how the hell is a fire engine going to pass if they are called to a fire?:(

Apr 11, 2021
Forest of Dean, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
2 years
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Blue badge in the window and the police say motorhome was legally parked.
Apparently the bus “snagged the campervan” as it tried to pass.

Not a good day for anyone.
We had an incident some 20 years ago.

We took my elderly step father to Blackpool for the day in our motorhome .

Along the Promenade, we clipped wing mirrors with a bus. Typical, anti motorhome bus driver.

We stopped to exchange details, bus driver suggested I should await his supervisor to attend. I informed him I wasn't gong to be waiting and gave our details.

A few weeks later, a Police officer from Greater Manchester Police attended our house in Stockport. It was part of the then Lancashire Police "Zero Tolerance Policy". The GMP officer had been informed by the bus driver that he felt I was under the Influence of "mind altering drugs" All was explained by me to the GMP officer who agreed it was a ridiculous situation and off he went.

I have to add that in-between the bus/motorhome mirror clip. We were robbed at home in Stockport and we never received any response from GMP

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Some blue badge holders at morons and don’t take account of there actions
Wb
It's an attitude of "I'm disabled, I can do what I want and two fingers to the rest of you".

I do have a blue badge but hope I use it now, and will continue to use it, with consideration to others.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back