Is There Much To Do At La Rochelle? (10 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Looking for somewhere to go this afternoon to get some sun and warmth (it's cold and raining, again, here!) but can't go too far. What is La Rochelle like, please? Where could we park with a nice view? And, can you walk along the seafront without going on the beach? Thank you :)

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Looking for somewhere to go this afternoon to get some sun and warmth (it's cold and raining, again, here!) but can't go too far. What is La Rochelle like, please? Where could we park with a nice view? And, can you walk along the seafront without going on the beach? Thank you :)
Yes, there's a large carpark/aire (or used to be) near the marina and old dock area and walking distance into old town. đź‘Ť

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Il de RĂ© is just over the bridge and is a lovely place to visit with some great restaurants and little harbours to wander around.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Thanks, guys. Looked at the official aire and it's €14, with or without electricity, for 24 hours. We'll only be there about 2-3 hours. So, had a look at some of the parking lots on P4N and a lot seem to have a 2m height restriction. Some have a 5m length restriction. Many have warnings about not being a safe area to park. It's a shame because it looks really pretty.

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
If it’s raining you could try the aquarium it’s pretty good 👍

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Lovely interesting town. I was there two years ago and whilst my son and Aussie DIL were doing some shopping I was sat outside a bar on the quay having a coffee when an attractive young lady with a couple of henchmen sat at the adjacent table. She was having difficulty with the menu and turned to me for assistance. Later when my DIL returned she said excitedly that she'd heard that a fellow Aussie, Kylie Minogue, was in town. She nearly swooned when I said I'd had coffee and a chat with her. :rofl:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Free parking for a few hours around the marina (no overnighting) - then drive to Lac Du Frace for free overnight parking, about 30 mins from La Rochelle...

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Spent 2 weeks there 'Eurocamping' in 1997 when the kids were young so I guess there was plenty to do. All I remember was going on a boat trip out to some war stuff out in the sea?? and Princess Diana dying on our last day there.

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-t 580 4x4
Exp
Getting there!
Les Minimes Marina - plenty of free parking and the boat taxi to town every 30 mins. It’s our default free overnight spot at La Rochelle. There are also beach side cafes and restaurants there.

La Rochelle is a stunning town, plenty of bars to sit in and watch the world go round.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Well, it's going to have to be another day. It's absolutely bucketing it down here, so much so that I didn't even want to go out of the door!! It's also started to get really cold at nights, too. If it gets to where we need to light the fire, we'll go to Spain for a quick holiday before our next business trip :)

Thank you for all the replies. We'll definitely keep La Rochelle on our list! :) xx

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Les Minimes Marina - plenty of free parking and the boat taxi to town every 30 mins. It’s our default free overnight spot at La Rochelle. There are also beach side cafes and restaurants there.

La Rochelle is a stunning town, plenty of bars to sit in and watch the world go round.

That sounds lovely, thank you :)

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
You need longer than a few hours, it is at least an over night stop. It's a beautiful old town and port.

Longer for what, though? I just wanted to have a walk around, have a coffee and come home :) It was just an afternoon out :)

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Always parked up at the Marina in Port Mimes, never any problems stopping overnight and their is water and emptying facilities in Ave Michael Crepau I think it is, just opposite the municipal site.
Well worth spending a couple of days there

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

I second this suggestion but it was a few years ago since I was there.
I enjoyed the maritime museum also. đź‘Ť

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Definitely some at La Rochelle, but I think they may still be in use by the French Navy and as such only observable from outside the base.

I thought the talk was of visiting, you can do that in St Nazaire.
The Authorities tried to blow the pens up after the war and after a few attempts, gave up.

One is now a museum with one of the subs still in the water filled pen. 🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back