Is it OK to cut this rib out so I can fit fridge vents here? (1 Viewer)

Aug 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Boxer PVC
Exp
ages
This is the off side rear of a Peugeot boxer. I'd like to put the fridge here but would need to remove this rib to fit the fridge vents. Is that acceptable?
Thanks
Nick

2022-11-23 13.58.37.jpg

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
its only my view but yes to fit a fridge. cut the sealant that sticks it to the panel first

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I’ve cut at the top for the windows. The bottom bit is more vulnerable to dent in. I would cut and move it relocate. I also would add ply ribs to stiffen up the surrounding of the new opening.
I second that

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Part of the roll over crash protection?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not something I'd do as it's there for a reason. I'd either use/adapt the vents to go either side of the rib (cut out the rear part in the centre of the vents so they still looks like normal vents externally which I think would still provide sufficient air flow) or instead install a compressor one which would negate the need for vents at all.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
The fridge vents are just plastic ,can't you fit them either side with some adjustment of the vents. I think your van sidewall will be a bit wobbly without the rib unless you stick the fridge to the sidewall for support.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
If it was me I would not remove it. The vents could be put to either side if the fridge has to go there. Just my opinion. I would worry about the strength of that side panel with it removed. (y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i would say yes it looks like its purpose is to stop the panel drumming i would glue it back to the panel adjacent to the fridge vent its construction looks to be the same as the one above which is removed on most pvc its the longitudal one you cant do much with

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
This is the off side rear of a Peugeot boxer. I'd like to put the fridge here but would need to remove this rib to fit the fridge vents. Is that acceptable?
Thanks
Nick

View attachment 690489

In my Murvi, the fridge and water tank backs on to the N/S half rear door (toilet and shower room behind the O/S) there is vents cut into the rear doors for the fridge and, if it goes wrong, you can easily get to the back of the fridge and tank.

The strut you are indicating is essential to pass the 'roll-over' test, so I would desist. :unsure:

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
You can remove it if needed. As mitzimad said above, it's just there to deaden sound, it's not structural.

Just need to trim through the small spot welds top and bottom, then it should come out without much effort at all.

EDIT: I'll PM you a copy of the official converters handbook. It takes some wading through, but will give you accurate info on your build.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
You can remove it if needed. As mitzimad said above, it's just there to deaden sound, it's not structural.

Just need to trim through the small spot welds top and bottom, then it should come out without much effort at all.

I'm sorry to have to disagree with you, but in my opinion, with the opposite side already weakened by the sliding door, (presuming there IS a sliding door) as there is no chassis, to remove that strut, unnecessarily, would weaken that centre section considerably in an accident causing a roll-over.

But what do I know?🤷‍♂️

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I'm sorry to have to disagree with you, but in my opinion, with the opposite side already weakened by the sliding door, (presuming there IS a sliding door) as there is no chassis, to remove that strut, unnecessarily, would weaken that centre section considerably in an accident causing a roll-over. :unsure:
Totally understand what you mean, but I wasn't guessing, I was going by the official converters book.

I've edited my post to say I'll send a copy to the OP (y)

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Nobody seams to panic at the prospect of rolling a van over when considering the quantity of ‘stiffening‘ ribs people remove to fit pop tops to various vans.

It wouldn’t worry me removing it, considering the amount of internal furniture you’ll be fitting.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
Totally understand what you mean, but I wasn't guessing, I was going by the official converters book.

I've edited my post to say I'll send a copy to the OP (y)
Neither was i as i also checked facts before commenting i checked this out when i did my self build using the same document as wissel

OP
OP
nicknoxx
Aug 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Boxer PVC
Exp
ages
Thanks for all the helpful comments. Wissel has very kindly sent me the converter's handbook so I'll give that a good read before continuing. For what it's worth, I agree it doesn't appear structural and as XxAnthxX said there will be quite a bit of floor to ceiling furniture going in.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are you gonna give us a shuftie at your plans then ... we do like a good nosy! :giggle:

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Thanks for all the helpful comments. Wissel has very kindly sent me the converter's handbook so I'll give that a good read before continuing. For what it's worth, I agree it doesn't appear structural and as XxAnthxX said there will be quite a bit of floor to ceiling furniture going in.

While I appreciate Wissel, and others, conversion experience, one of the reasons I hold/held a full HGV, PSV, Motorbike etc. was so that in the 70's I could be a Freelance Driver and turn my hand to anything on the UK roads.

This experience got me demonstration and test-driving work from some of the large vehicle manufacturers both here and abroad, Leyland, Scania, Daf etc. and knowing how to sign a 'secrets document'.
The only reason I mention this is, during that time I realised, no manufacturer would put on extra metal or paint that was not, absolutely, necessary!
As I was told many times when I asked for something extra, "£1 saved on a manufacturing run of 1000's equals a lot of wages".

Because of this, I still do not believe that that strut is unimportant or is there just to stop 'drumming' especially if, like so many converters, you are going to cut more struts in the roof to facilitate skylights.

I think this, unnecessarily, weakens the integral structure of the vehicles. How much, I don't know?

It's your vehicle and your choice but if it were me, I would revise my plans.

Good Luck, I'll say no more! :giggle:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You will be adding a lot more strength/ rigidity to your van with all the ply/ furniture you are putting in your van than you will lose by removing that strut. It’s your van and your conversion. As such it’s your decision. The big converters remove them 😉 If you are worried simply stick a large piece of ply to the panel and cut through both ply and steel panel. There is virtually no strength in a flat steel panel that’s why manufacturers put creases in panels 👍

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
While I appreciate Wissel, and others, conversion experience, one of the reasons I hold/held a full HGV, PSV, Motorbike etc. was so that in the 70's I could be a Freelance Driver and turn my hand to anything on the UK roads.

This experience got me demonstration and test-driving work from some of the large vehicle manufacturers both here and abroad, Leyland, Scania, Daf etc. and knowing how to sign a 'secrets document'.
The only reason I mention this is, during that time I realised, no manufacturer would put on extra metal or paint that was not, absolutely, necessary!
As I was told many times when I asked for something extra, "£1 saved on a manufacturing run of 1000's equals a lot of wages".

Because of this, I still do not believe that that strut is unimportant or is there just to stop 'drumming' especially if, like so many converters, you are going to cut more struts in the roof to facilitate skylights.

I think this, unnecessarily, weakens the integral structure of the vehicles. How much, I don't know?

It's your vehicle and your choice but if it were me, I would revise my plans.

Good Luck, I'll say no more! :giggle:
so the fiat convertors hand book is wrong ?

Posidriver

Free Member
Mar 31, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato LWB self conv
Exp
5 years
Thanks
Nick

View attachment 690489
Dodgy. We avoided it as it appears fairly structural to vans integrity. Our vent is just below and I created a flow channel down to the vent with a pair of silent pc fans. The folw of warm air out sucks the cold in from lower vent. Works a treat. We get ice in Greece at 35c.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Thanks
Nick

View attachment 690489
If you look at the bottom of the rib section you can clearly see it isn't attached to anything of substance so definitely not structural.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back