Is an electric water heater suitable for an RV? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
When traveling, water is often needed for activities like cooking and washing. I have noticed that many RVs install gas water heaters. However, I want to use hot water inside the RV, so is installing an electric water heater suitable?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Electric to heat the water uses a lot of energy, so is only really suitable.for if using camp sites with electrical hook up. Lots of motorhomes have a truma(or other make) which are combination of gas and electric , gas when not plugged in, electric for when you are.

Welcome to the forum.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Of you mean only electric and no gas for water heating then that will only work if you can plug the RV into a power supply or you have your own generator (noisy smelly and not very popular on camping areas).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can be done it you have a large Lithium battery bank and plenty of solar to recharge it.
Have a look at this thread.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Can be done it you have a large Lithium battery bank and plenty of solar to recharge it.
Have a look at this thread.

Can be done but not reliably ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have electric heating and or gas heating, and electric and or gas water heating in my Winnebago

When you say ā€œRVā€ are you thinking about an American or European motorhome as the equipment will be fundamentally different, my Winnebago for example can use all this in the middle of nowhere off grid as Winnebago also install a 5Kw Onan gas generator and we also have a lot of Solar and Lithium

Gas is the best universal way to heating lots of hot water

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
If the weather is playing ball ( ie the sun is shining) a simple solar camp shower bag is very effective, but not as convenient as hot water on demand.
Mike.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
There are lots of reasons why electric only water heaters are not common, but if you have thought it through and considered those reasons, but still believe an electric only water heater is your best option, then it's your money, your choice!
I personally wouldn't go with an electric only water heater.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi, from your Avatar it says your in Hong Kong, with vastly different types and styles of motorhomes, some of which look brilliant. Does the motorhome market not cater for gas water heaters and only electric, can you tell us more about what type of motorhome you want/have and what type of systems are likely to be fitted.

Oh and a warm welcome too šŸ‘šŸ»

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Eddie said if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere, you can run the Genny to run all your appliances. But you would still heat water with gas as it's a more efficient use of gas.
I'm in our RV on a full service pitch here at Burrs park.
So I can have a nice long shower without it going cold, I use both.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I use only solar generated electric for our hot water now! Our traveling profile and location helps with this. Morning showers are not always good (hot), but evening showers are great!

It utilises excess solar output when available, to always be heating the water (obviously to a set max temp)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Hi, from your Avatar it says your in Hong Kong, with vastly different types and styles of motorhomes, some of which look brilliant. Does the motorhome market not cater for gas water heaters and only electric, can you tell us more about what type of motorhome you want/have and what type of systems are likely to be fitted.

Oh and a warm welcome too šŸ‘šŸ»

I lived in Hong Kong for 3 years. Never saw a RV/Motorhome. I never even drove a car there. Not really great for motorhomes - for one the roads and also nowhere to go that you cant get to on a bus or train in 90 mins. Also Kong Kong is made up of many islands so travel would be restricted. I suppose the only possibility is if you were a Chinese national and could cross the border to mainland China.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back