Is a Full Service (at my cost), comparable to an Engineers Inspection ? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
I have been unable to get a site engineer's inspection for a motorhome I want to purchase in HOLT Believe it or not AA or RAC do not to this area ? mmmm

If I paid for a Full Service instead, and then knowing and having the comfort that I am not buying a DUD Motorhome.

Is the Full Service comparable to an inspection please ?

Anyone there to help this single solo traveller, who just wants to get it RIGHT, as all my lives savings is going into this
HELP

Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
Hi
I understand you really like this van , I would wait till you can get all the check done that you want require. Even if it means waiting till October,
If it goes back on the market then so be .
What ever van you buy you need to keep some of your savings for things that may go wrong .
And I’m sure you realise many on here have had trouble with vans even expensive top end vans . Don’t feel rushed and take your time .
But I wish you good luck and hope it all works out for you ,

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I honestly don't think motorhoming is for you, you can have it inspected a dozen times and it could still blow up tomorrow, they can only tell you what it is at the moment they look at it.
How many folks come on here with broken down vans ten years younger than the one you are looking at?
Sorry but I would save your money and have some decent holidays at a fraction of the price.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi John,
No cambelt on this vehicle I THINK, my male mates stated on inspection? I was more interested in the Habitation, they did under the bonnet boring stuff haha. So are you stating MOT and not Full Service on this vehicle before I buy it ?
On the habitation side the only real worry is damp which can be checked for. I think this is essential. Other than that there isn't really anything important to "service" on the habitation side. The fridge burner can be cleaned and they could test the leisure battery or batteries but these are not fatally expensive if they fail.

I would suggest an MOT and something in writing stating damp readings if buying from a dealer. If it's a private sale it would be advisable to buy or borrow a damp meter, they are not expensive. If the current owner won't let you use one then walk away. If it has damp it could cost thousands to fix.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have you actually drove it yet as you fell out with your last van because you couldn't get it in gear , this van is liable to have the same gearbox, and if it's been standing quite possible to have the same problem.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Another Funster wrapped his door mirrors and a few other bits when he told his insurers they withdrew cover.
I was asked by the insurance companies this year if it had been wrapped .thought odd but a few asked. Renewed last week so must be a new thing due to cost of repairs maybe

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Ive spent all day contacting companies and garages, and all the mobile ones are full until October, and no garages around HOLT to it either, so I have done my research and talked, emailed chatted to so many motorhome and caravan dealership, I am pretty fed up with it all. I think the motorhome will go back on the market if I go backend say it will be October, Plus I want to use it during this summer too
Try not to panic buy, i bought mine privately part if the deal was hab check at their cost my choice engineer. I was also there during his visit before he left.
Summers nearly over now and there's summer every year
If they put it back on the market another will come along
You will find the right one (y)

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I honestly don't think motorhoming is for you, you can have it inspected a dozen times and it could still blow up tomorrow, they can only tell you what it is at the moment they look at it.
How many folks come on here with broken down vans ten years younger than the one you are looking at?
Sorry but I would save your money and have some decent holidays at a fraction of the price.
There's some truth in that.
Once a newcomer has overcome the frustrating 'faults' due to inexperience and operator error one still needs some understanding and practical ability even if it's just where to find and how to check fuses.
A few basic tools and a rudimentary knowledge of 12v and 230v electrics and plumbing is a great help if you want to avoid anxiety, inconvenient long-distance travelling, long waits and big bills from a dealer or service engineer.
Since the OP can't find someone locally to do an inspection it may well be an issue in getting repairs and servicing carried out.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I can't quite get my head around paying good money on a vehicle before actually buying it.
Paid for pre-purchase vehicle inspections for people who don't know their way around a vehicle are common. They are almost always carried out at the buyers cost.

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
More importantly the company that did the conversion are no longer around so no back up for information as to what goes where when it goes wrong. The van is 15 years old and been stood around for a few years so everything will be drying out so potential problems with engine and habitation. I am with Chaser and save your money till next year there are more and more coming on the market post covid. Hire one for a few weeks and see if it is for you rather than blowing your budget, think back to the trouble you had with the last one., Motorhome depot are not a dealership they are brokers so there is no comeback, you are buying privately they are an agent for the seller.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When we sold via motorhome depot we had to have a service within the previous 3 months (we'd had that done) and a jab check by their recommended contractor - happy to have that done. This meant the buyers had a guarantee.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I have been unable to get a site engineer's inspection for a motorhome I want to purchase in HOLT Believe it or not AA or RAC do not to this area ? mmmm

If I paid for a Full Service instead, and then knowing and having the comfort that I am not buying a DUD Motorhome.

Is the Full Service comparable to an inspection please ?

Anyone there to help this single solo traveller, who just wants to get it RIGHT, as all my lives savings is going into this
HELP
To reply to the original question.
No.
Do not pay for a full service in lieu of a proper motorhome related inspection.

Also as the seller I would not want you doing a full service, even at you cost.
If they find something expensive that needs replacing soonish, As a sell I'd say don't bother as I'm selling it.
As a buyer you may as well pay as the vehicle is up on the ramps, but where do you stop ?

For the mechanical side, even if you have to persuade one of the local mechanics to spend a couple of hours looking the vehicle over at the weekend, and giving a verbal report, it will only be as good as he can see.

For the habitation side, the big issue is damp, which with a pinless damp meter you can test yourself.
Any gas engineer can test the gas if it looks like it's over 10 years old.

The other big issue with the habitation area is wear and tear. You say this van has spent a lot of time in Spain. Was that for 3-5 months a year parked up on a site with the owners living in it ? 150 nights of occupation for a few years really adds up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2019
North East, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
My van lived in Norfolk for 7 years before it came up north. It was serviced by K Brown Auto repairs, Kings Lynn, but I think it lived in Hunstanton where they have another branch. I have the receipts. You could try these but not sure how far you are away

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back