Is a Full Service (at my cost), comparable to an Engineers Inspection ? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
I have been unable to get a site engineer's inspection for a motorhome I want to purchase in HOLT Believe it or not AA or RAC do not to this area ? mmmm

If I paid for a Full Service instead, and then knowing and having the comfort that I am not buying a DUD Motorhome.

Is the Full Service comparable to an inspection please ?

Anyone there to help this single solo traveller, who just wants to get it RIGHT, as all my lives savings is going into this
HELP

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There may be a knowledgeable funster in your area who could look at it for you. A full service will cover a lot of the mechanical bits but won't look at the domestic services, though a habitation inspection would. Most motorhome dealers could help though there are mobile caravan engineers who can visit you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
There may be a knowledgeable funster in your area who could look at it for you. A full service will cover a lot of the mechanical bits but won't look at the domestic services, though a habitation inspection would. Most motorhome dealers could help though there are mobile caravan engineers who can visit you.
Thank you, I am having a Habitation Inspector plus new MOT, at my cost, but finding someone in NORFOLK is terrible. So awaiting for a local garage in HOLT, that will service it for me. But really wanted to know is that as good as an Inspection really, Its being bought privately, and that last service was over 3 years ago, as the van has only done 3 k miles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
I would think that an MoT inspection would be a decent substitute for an AA/RAC inspection and a lot cheaper than paying for a service.

Ian
So getting a New MOT the recent ones expires in November anyway, so you think a ne wMOT would be cheaper and as good ? Sorry 67 and be caught out last year, with another M/H just being very very careful . as its 30k of my life savings

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Parked up for a few years in Spain
Think carefully all the seals may have dried out.
Hope you have a better experience

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Parked up for a few years in Spain
Think carefully all the seals may have dried out.
Hope you have a better experience
That was 5 years ago, it has been in HOLT Norfolk, for 4 years, but the damage had already been done. So present owner has had it but done little mileage really. So having habitation and MOT and Full Service,, so all in all, it will cost me over 1000 pounds, but best that than be in a position that I will loose 30k

Upvote 0

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
No longer have one
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Might be worth talking to these people

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Upvote 0
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Not sure where you are in Norfolk but google 'pre purchase vehicle inspection engineers in Norfolk' and loads of prospects come up!
not to sure where your £1000 is going but a service and MOT shouldn't be more than £400-£500 tops assuming no rectifications required.......so is a hab check really £500....wow?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
I have been unable to get a site engineer's inspection for a motorhome I want to purchase in HOLT Believe it or not AA or RAC do not to this area ? mmmm

If I paid for a Full Service instead, and then knowing and having the comfort that I am not buying a DUD Motorhome.

Anyone there to help this single solo traveller, who just wants to get it RIGHT, as all my lives savings is going into this
HELP
No not the same at all, don’t take any risks, to many scammers out there , you really need a very competent person and even then if it is mechanical then it can always go wrong, age doesn’t matter, they go wrong at various ages just like people🤷🏻‍♂️, but at least a competent person will easily recognise bodges 👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
No not the same at all, don’t take any risks, to many scammers out there , you really need a very competent person and even then if it is mechanical then it can always go wrong, age doesn’t matter, they go wrong at various ages just like people🤷🏻‍♂️, but at least a competent person will easily recognise bodges 👍
thank you Dutch, it is going into a reputable garage now in Holt, I am purchasing it from Motorhome.depot broker, but have met the owner, so although through ebay. me and 2 male mates, have seen it and driven it and gone through it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
ok keep that in mind, and ask the garage design company, as the stripe decal has cracked in sun, so I am sure that can be sorted it not wrapped

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
ok keep that in mind, and ask the garage design company, as the stripe decal has cracked in sun, so I am sure that can be sorted it not wrapped
A decal is a bit different to wrapping you are only taking the van back to its original state.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No, is the short and succinct answer. A full service could be completed on a vehicle which is falling apart and on its last legs.

That's a bit of a simplification as some parts of the service will include checks for wear but generally these are on simple things which won't be distrous if not done. The only exception I can think of is changing the cam belt (if it has one) on time. If not done you could end up with a wrecked engine. But a service won't pick this up if it hasn't been done. An inspection should.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Not sure where you are in Norfolk but google 'pre purchase vehicle inspection engineers in Norfolk' and loads of prospects come up!
not to sure where your £1000 is going but a service and MOT shouldn't be more than £400-£500 tops assuming no rectifications required.......so is a hab check really £500....wow?
Ive spent all day contacting companies and garages, and all the mobile ones are full until October, and no garages around HOLT to it either, so I have done my research and talked, emailed chatted to so many motorhome and caravan dealership, I am pretty fed up with it all. I think the motorhome will go back on the market if I go backend say it will be October, Plus I want to use it during this summer too

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
No, is the short and succinct answer. A full service could be completed on a vehicle which is falling apart and on its last legs.

That's a bit of a simplification as some parts of the service will include checks for wear but generally these are on simple things which won't be distrous if not done. The only exception I can think of is changing the cam belt (if it has one) on time. If not done you could end up with a wrecked engine. But a service won't pick this up if it hasn't been done. An inspection should.
Hi John,
No cambelt on this vehicle I THINK, my male mates stated on inspection? I was more interested in the Habitation, they did under the bonnet boring stuff haha. So are you stating MOT and not Full Service on this vehicle before I buy it ?

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back